• 6(current)
WIP Experimental simple deinterlacing
I would have tried to decativate MediaCodec a long time ago, if I would have known there is the advanced menu Wink

Wouldn't it be much easier to (somehow) set the output resolution of the AFTV to 1080i? That way the TV could do the deinterlacing. That would work for me...
But I think you need root access for that, right?

What is MCDI/MADI?

Greets
Zodac
(2015-01-27, 18:17)Zodac Wrote: Wouldn't it be much easier to (somehow) set the output resolution of the AFTV to 1080i? That way the TV could do the deinterlacing. That would work for me...
But I think you need root access for that, right?
Currently not possible, even with root access.

(2015-01-27, 18:17)Zodac Wrote: What is MCDI/MADI?
MCDI = Motion Compensated Deinterlacing
MADI = Motion Adaptive Deinterlacing
switching the tv to 1080i doesn't do anything. Kodi has no support for outputting the frames in a way that an external deinterlacer would be able to do its work.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Where do I enable this? I'm running the Jan 26th nightly build on FireTV. I turned off Mediacodec and have libstagefright on. When I go into the video options while something is playing I don't see any entry for deinterlace like I do if I select software decoding.
(2015-01-27, 19:33)Memphiz Wrote: switching the tv to 1080i doesn't do anything. Kodi has no support for outputting the frames in a way that an external deinterlacer would be able to do its work.

That's strange ... when I hook my Mac Mini on my TV (output 1080p), start Kodi, play 1080i Live TV - I got the common line-issues with interlaced material.
Then I set the output to 1080i in OS X, play 1080i Live TV and the picture is perfect, no line-issues, nothing.

If your answer is correct, how do you explain this?

Greets
Zodac
(2015-01-26, 20:19)weak Wrote: It would be interesting to know why MediaCodec seems to work with SPMC but not Kodi. Maybe @Koying can answer that...
I found the reason:
If both are activated, Kodi tries MediaCodec first
If both are activated, SPMC tries Libstagefright first.

That's the reason why you have to deactivate MediaCodec in Kodi, while in SPMC it doesn't matter.

Greets
Zodac
Oh and one more thing:
There is still a little shaking in the picture with BOB (Inverted) activated. And the picture loses some of its sharpness.
It's a lot better than with regular BOB - but if there's a way to improve that a little bit on AFTV, I would be very happy.

Greets
Zodac
(2015-01-28, 12:42)Zodac Wrote:
(2015-01-27, 19:33)Memphiz Wrote: switching the tv to 1080i doesn't do anything. Kodi has no support for outputting the frames in a way that an external deinterlacer would be able to do its work.

That's strange ... when I hook my Mac Mini on my TV (output 1080p), start Kodi, play 1080i Live TV - I got the common line-issues with interlaced material.
Then I set the output to 1080i in OS X, play 1080i Live TV and the picture is perfect, no line-issues, nothing.

If your answer is correct, how do you explain this?

Greets
Zodac

I would think it works by accident. @FernetMenta - any other opinion?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
@Koying: I've noticed that this hasn't been included in the 14.1 release. It would be very nice if you could make a 14.1 build with deinterlacing support to get this included in a stable release.
(2015-01-31, 13:56)weak Wrote: @Koying: I've noticed that this hasn't been included in the 14.1 release. It would be very nice if you could make a 14.1 build with deinterlacing support to get this included in a stable release.

Nod +1
I'm afraid you'll have to rely on SPMC for having this.
I'll release an Helix version soon.
Just wanted to throw my two cents in on this...

I recently got the RKM V5. This is an awesome machine so far....and only about 3.5" x 2" x. 5"....including 2 usb's and a gigabit RJ45.

With the standard release of Kodi the playback bothered my eyes... wasn't really able to detect what the issue was....my eyes just felt like they were being pulled and after 5-10min of watching I almost had a headache.

A friend turned me onto this post so I loaded the build from 1/19.... made a big difference. Playback seems smooth and my eyes are not sensing any pulling like the did on the standard release.

Hope this makes it into a regular build in the not to distant future. Smile

Thanks again!
I just loaded this to my Fire Tv and the difference is Amazing! I am seeing a small jumps (dropping around 14 frames/minute) every once in a while but the interlacing is virtually non existent. I had all but given up on live OTA tv on this box so this is a life saver.

I'm using build 14.1 beta1 which if I read correctly has the latest de-interlacing code. I will try playing around with the settings(currently Hardware acceleration enabled and libstagefright disabled) to see if I can get it to smooth out.

Thank you Koying!! Fantastic work.
I heard that this de-interlacing is in the v15 beta builds as well. http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/android/arm/ Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Or is this the last version that has it in it? http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk
Yes, it's been merged in v15, so is in nightlies.
For AFTV and mpeg2, do not forget to disable MediaCodec, which cannot accelerate mpeg2 unfortunately.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Experimental simple deinterlacing1