• 6(current)
Donations for DVD-menu in XBMC campaign
los93sol, what on earth are you trying to do with your post? trolling?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(los93sol @ feb. 25 2005,20:27 Wrote:i thought they already had it in cvs as an initial release and not to try to use it because it was still very alpha?  am i misunderstanding this and mixing two different things up?
no you are right. and..?

read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
i just donated $10. thanks for all your hard work.

http://www.ideacradle.com
are you still taking donations for this? my other half is driving me nuts so anything to help it along Smile
i wouldn't recommend people make further donations until a few milestones start to be met. 5 months is a long time.

:bomb:

(look out - it's going to blow)
@ princi, now thats not a very nice thing to say, is it ?
borders to my definition of "trolling", which i don't give out lightly.

we don't like censoring stuff on this forum, but if you wanna continue your -speculation- who know's what will happen?

a translation to others who don't see as clearly as i tend to do, what princi just said:

"development of dvdplayer is nonexistant/dead and will never ever be finished" - which ofcourse isn't true

some people like princi just wasn't equipped with patience on birth, is my only theory to why his post ever was made...

edit: added princi's word incase it decided to alter it's post, i like to have a journal what was said in a discussion..
Quote:i wouldn't recommend people make further donations until a few milestones start to be met. 5 months is a long time.

:bomb:

(look out - it's going to blow)

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"development of dvdplayer is nonexistant/dead and will never ever be finished"

never meant to imply that at all.

if you had a development manager working on this with you, he'd be setting milestones - both in terms of functionality and time.

"but this is a homebrew project, not a commerical project" you say..... correct.

when money becomes involved though, some sort of accountability needs to be put in place. delivery milestones is not a bad place to start.

p.s. not interested in trolling - happy to end things here.
i would like to see some progress too. i didn't spend $50 for nothing, or did i!?
the money will not magically disappear. if the donation was made toward dvd menus the dev/devs who work and finish the project will reap the rewards and said funds would not go elsewhere. i believe that was made clear initially. no one is paid till its done. is that incentive enough to finish? i'd think so

that said there is progress
the alpha was included in the cvs feb 14
update to overlay problem on march 9
and more updates from jmarshal on march 19

just because its not made public (making it the default/public would mean the bugs in it would cause more problems for them and xbmc support than just keeping it private till its even close to ready for real usage.) does not mean there is no progress. implimenting a dvd players from scratch is not small task for a paid team of developers, nevermind people who spend their free time on an open source project.
loto_bak, you are right about everything.
and yes, dvd player development has slowed a bit down. it isn't possible for me anymore to spend 4 hours a day working on the dvd player (some of you have still no idea how much time it takes) because of some personal things. i even don't have any internet connection at home, which makes it a bit harder to commit changes to cvs if you ask me.

how about an update of the total $$donation$$
"xine player" is open source and is also based on mplayer and have menu support(dvdnav plugin) for dvd maby you can use some code from that project.. Smile
i cannot begin to understand the complete audacity of some people.

a donation is just that "a donation"

failed third grade you say? lets follow that in detail.

---------------------------------------------

donation - (do·na·tion)
n.

1. the act of giving to a fund or cause.

source: the american heritage® dictionary of the english language, fourth edition

a dvd-player is not a simple project. we are talking thousands of lines of code.. most techs up here make $40-$60/hr cdn to work. this project is reaching into the hundreds of hours of dev work.... worth a lot of money.

the project status isnt being shoved down everyone's throats in the changelog due to the fact that you make it the default player you need to support it... this community simply does not have the type of manpower to answer the same dozen questions a million times (mxm community anyone?)

bottom line here... be patient... i've used the alpha, tested the alpha and continue to test the changes... things are getting better... but we're still a mile away.

keep in mind that this remains a free project. you're right to complain donation-or-not is moot.... these devs work hard, many have families/girlfriends and personal lives.... i can't see the donation fund being substantial enough to pull a person away from his life to develop something without a recurring kickback.

<-----but heck, thats just my opinion.
(supadawg @ mar. 29 2005,07:44 Wrote:i cannot begin to understand the complete audacity of some people.

a donation is just that "a donation"

failed third grade you say? lets follow that in detail.

donation - (do·na·tion)
n.

1. the act of giving to a fund or cause.

source: the american heritage® dictionary of the english language, fourth edition

a dvd-player is not a simple project. we are talking thousands of lines of code.. most techs up here make $40-$60/hr cdn to work. this project is reaching into the hundreds of hours of dev work.... worth a lot of money.

the project status isnt being shoved down everyone's throats in the changelog due to the fact that you make it the default player you need to support it... this community simply does not have the type of manpower to answer the same dozen questions a million times (mxm community anyone?)

bottom line here... be patient... i've used the alpha, tested the alpha and continue to test the changes... things are getting better... but we're still a mile away.

keep in mind that this remains a free project. you're right to complain donation-or-not is moot.... these devs work hard, many have families/girlfriends and personal lives.... i can't see the donation fund being substantial enough to pull a person away from his life to develop something without a recurring kickback.

<-----but heck, thats just my opinion.
read the topic.
(denka @ mar. 24 2005,21:06 Wrote:i didn't spend $50 for nothing, or did i!?
you did not "spend" $50 you "donated" $50, there's a big difference and supadawg tried to point that out to you. you seem not to have gotten his point however.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Donations for DVD-menu in XBMC campaign0