• 8(current)
New Harmony Smart Control Remote
(2014-01-09, 23:16)verismo Wrote: hi, just one question about this remote

i have an intel nuc with simerec and a vizio tv

my main goal is to turn them on and off simultaneously..i have a simple ir remote that does this but sometimes the TV ons but not the computer and vice versa

so i'm wondering if this remote will work for me better? Is the ir output, "signal" better on this remote in comparison to cheaper remotes? Thanks

I am not sure about your situation, do you find that the old remote functions better if you are closer to the TV /computer? Maybe when not in direct sunlight?

in my setup, the distance between the TV and my Laptop and the Harmony Hub is about 8 meters. I have been extensively testing this remote for the past 2 days and can say that the signal is plenty strong enough, even when I partially obscured the hub the TV always turned on and off, I did have an issue with my Laptop not turning on and off sometimes but that was due to a different reason as described in my previous posts. I overcame this by programming the poweroff / poweron event twice.
(2014-01-09, 00:48)furii Wrote: oh i see. i assumed you had the ultimate based on your screenshots. there should still be a device specific page with commands you can try out. i'd still recommend attempting to do that. the flirc needs to be on the beta firmware in order to use the flirc profile i believe so you'll need to head over to the forums for that. it is also missing a few commands that i had to create a custom keymap for. for instance it didn't have escape bound to anything so i used the AudioDelay- button in the harmony software for that. hopefully you shouldn't notice too many problems though.

Flirc did the trick, can now use the most important buttons.
So far really happy with it!
(2014-01-13, 17:32)Protax Wrote:
(2014-01-09, 00:48)furii Wrote: oh i see. i assumed you had the ultimate based on your screenshots. there should still be a device specific page with commands you can try out. i'd still recommend attempting to do that. the flirc needs to be on the beta firmware in order to use the flirc profile i believe so you'll need to head over to the forums for that. it is also missing a few commands that i had to create a custom keymap for. for instance it didn't have escape bound to anything so i used the AudioDelay- button in the harmony software for that. hopefully you shouldn't notice too many problems though.

Flirc did the trick, can now use the most important buttons.
So far really happy with it!

sorry, just had a chance to respond to your PM. glad everything is working Smile
just got one of these about a week ago, and I must say once you get it set up it works great. The app works well and the simplify remote is also great. I would highly recommend this product. The best bet is to purchase it from a electronics store that has a no hassle return policy just in case it's not your piece of cake.....
Good luck
Reposting this here from the Haswell NUC thread, since its a more appropriate thread, even if my remote is not the new Harmony but the 650.

Thanks for the help Smile

(2014-01-17, 11:35)Acrobat76 Wrote: [quote='Acrobat76' pid='1590016' dateline='1388866598']
Some more remote control help needed, wondering if someone can help me:

Set up: i5 Haswell nuc, Win 8.1 64 bit, Harmony 650 remote.

I have 2 activities: 1 for my HTPC, 1 for watching TV through my TV.

By default the harmony manages to power on the HTPC or wake it from sleep/suspend or whatever mode it exactly is. It doesnt power it down. I managed to make the harmony power down the NUC using the great AdvancedMCERemoteMapper tool. However what I`d like is this:

When I switch activity from HTPC to TV I`d like the NUC to stay on or else go to sleep/suspend and not shut down completely. However I`d still like it to shut down completely when I press the power off button on the harmony. Is this even achievable?

Thanks Smile

(2014-01-04, 22:37)Crssi Wrote: Yes, it is. I have like this. It is a registry setting.
I am out of town until tommorow evening. Will post then if nobody else will be faster.
Just installed the harmony smart control last night. I have a panny TV, Marantz av receiver and DirecTV. This thing worked amazing right out of the box with default settings for the above devices, plus the included remote seems really well thought out.

Here is my question: I have a dedicated PC running Win7 attached to the Marantz with all our music, movies and shows running the latest version of XBMC. Should I spring for the Flirc dongal or just pick up a cheap MCE IR receiver to control it?
(2014-01-18, 18:12)jdm3tz Wrote: Just installed the harmony smart control last night. I have a panny TV, Marantz av receiver and DirecTV. This thing worked amazing right out of the box with default settings for the above devices, plus the included remote seems really well thought out.

Here is my question: I have a dedicated PC running Win7 attached to the Marantz with all our music, movies and shows running the latest version of XBMC. Should I spring for the Flirc dongal or just pick up a cheap MCE IR receiver to control it?

it's really up to you, they both do the same thing in the end. i wouldn't say one is necessarily easier or harder than the other.
(2014-01-17, 19:40)Acrobat76 Wrote: Reposting this here from the Haswell NUC thread, since its a more appropriate thread, even if my remote is not the new Harmony but the 650.

Thanks for the help Smile

(2014-01-17, 11:35)Acrobat76 Wrote: [quote='Acrobat76' pid='1590016' dateline='1388866598']
Some more remote control help needed, wondering if someone can help me:

Set up: i5 Haswell nuc, Win 8.1 64 bit, Harmony 650 remote.

I have 2 activities: 1 for my HTPC, 1 for watching TV through my TV.

By default the harmony manages to power on the HTPC or wake it from sleep/suspend or whatever mode it exactly is. It doesnt power it down. I managed to make the harmony power down the NUC using the great AdvancedMCERemoteMapper tool. However what I`d like is this:

When I switch activity from HTPC to TV I`d like the NUC to stay on or else go to sleep/suspend and not shut down completely. However I`d still like it to shut down completely when I press the power off button on the harmony. Is this even achievable?

Thanks Smile

(2014-01-04, 22:37)Crssi Wrote: Yes, it is. I have like this. It is a registry setting.
I am out of town until tommorow evening. Will post then if nobody else will be faster.

Obviously I havent read your post very carefully.
I do have setup suspend when switching actitiy and "power off button" as well.
What I have configured is that I have different power on and power off IR sequence.
Power on is standard. And for poweroff(suspend) I have setup the yellow button (and assign yellow in windows to suspend).

Unfortunatelly you cannot configure exactly what you want easily, because of lack to choose power IR commands under Activities/"Customize this activity" in harmony software.
Maybe you can trick it by learning one of the command with "power on sequence".

If you can then I would do something like:
Devices -> your NUC (Microsoft Media Center Extender) -> power settings -> "I want to keep this device on when switching activites and only turn if off when i press off button" -> I press two different buttons for on and for off"
For "power on command" assign "powertoggle"
For "power off commands" assign "red" (and assign red in windows to shutdown).

Activities -> your NUC (Microsoft Media Center Extender) -> Customize this activity
add learned "power on sequence" to "activity startup commands"
add "yellow" to "activity shutdown commands" (and assign yellow in windows to suspend).

I havent tried this, but I am almost 100% sure that this should work. I am speaking here what I would try with harmony smart control to achieve sollution for your needs, but dont know about Harmony 650.
Thanks for the reply and detailed explanation Crssi.
No problem.

Quote:Power on is standard. And for poweroff(suspend) I have setup the yellow button (and assign yellow in windows to suspend).

Here I forgot to mention that "yellow" I dont have assigned to any button. I have other functions assigned to phisical "yellow" button.
I had actually assigned the "yellow" function just for power off sequence in harmony and set to suspend in windows registry.

This way I have changed the "power toggle" modus operandi to "power on"/"power off" different sequences.
So it cannot happen that if NUC is ON for any reason when changing to NUC activity, that this action would then turn off NUC, when it should be actually turned ON.
Thinking of getting this one too, how have you been getting on with it?

Also does it suffer the same issues with passing key codes above 255 to X, have you managed to map all the buttons like, assume using remote.xml?
(2014-02-01, 18:18)Packet Loss Wrote: Thinking of getting this one too, how have you been getting on with it?

Also does it suffer the same issues with passing key codes above 255 to X, have you managed to map all the buttons like, assume using remote.xml?

Are you asking me?

What did you mean by "suffer the same issues with passing key codes above 255 to X"?

(2014-01-20, 13:36)Acrobat76 Wrote: Thanks for the reply and detailed explanation Crssi.

Have you tried to do something here?
What are the results?
(2014-02-02, 16:10)Crssi Wrote:
(2014-02-01, 18:18)Packet Loss Wrote: Thinking of getting this one too, how have you been getting on with it?

Are you asking me?

What did you mean by "suffer the same issues with passing key codes above 255 to X"?

Anyone who the experience and can answer Smile

There's an issue with the native kernel drivers for IR remotes which means scan codes with a greater value than 255 (a single byte) aren't passed correctly and thus many buttons just dont work (although there are some workarounds). I notice in Gotham there's a new remote.xml mechanism for "Universal" remotes but not sure if this Harmony remote is dependent on the kernel IR drivers or can benefit from a full set of button mappings?
i have no issues with buttons not working. whether the issue you're referring to or not is present i couldn't tell you. i've never come across it.
Is it neccesary the hub to work? Does it have IR the remote?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Harmony Smart Control Remote1