• 8(current)
Port XBMC to run on hacked second-gen Apple TV (AppleTV 2 with A4 ARM chip and iOS)?
Metsadah Wrote:Although there is a beta version of plex or a plex streaming solution for it.

Plex requires a pretty beefy host computer for transcoding media on the fly to send to the ATV2. My (admittedly anemic) 1.83C2Duo Mini can't keep up with anything. Even a monster machine will only transcode at a limited bitrate through ffmpeg I remember reading somewhere so doesn't look good anyway no matter the source. Plex + ATV2 = proof of concept only. It's totally useless for day-to-day HD content.

ddingle Wrote:Plex requires a pretty beefy host computer for transcoding media on the fly to send to the ATV2. My (admittedly anemic) 1.83C2Duo Mini can't keep up with anything. Even a monster machine will only transcode at a limited bitrate through ffmpeg I remember reading somewhere so doesn't look good anyway no matter the source. Plex + ATV2 = proof of concept only. It's totally useless for day-to-day HD content.

Plex on my Mini server mid (2010) is great for sending stuff to my iPad, iPhone4 and our new iTouch. On those devices the video looks great.

My ATV2's play 1080p just fine ( up to a certain limit). Anything that was in mkv can be turned into m4v in a minute without any transcoding as long as the video is h.264.

Anyway, people have different requirements. Plex server more than meets our needs for the iDevices and to say it is totally useless is going a bit far. Many consider a Mini with XBMC as totally useless for true HD content.

Obviously, if one is wedded to mkv then you get an mkv player. The ATV2 is not that. The ATV1 with the CHD is but then at this point there are other choices if starting from fresh ( like avoiding mkv).

philip
defiler Wrote:Sell it and buy an ATV1? Laugh
Seriously, though, there's not much you can do with the ATV2 other than what Apple lets you. For the moment at least.

That just isn't true. It fits in well with people with iDevices, EyeTV HD, people not wedded to Blu-ray, etc ... If playing online mkv stuff is your back then take a minute and turn them into mp4 with no transcoding.

I do agree that someone wanting to dabble mainly in local content that is in old codec form or using the mkv container is better off with a Boxee Box, PCH A210, etc...

Anyway, it's clear that the ATV2 is not an XBMC player and might never be.

philip
Have anybody been able to confirm 1080p on ATV2? Also, what restrictions would apply to bitrate, ref frames etc?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Just in case everyone hasen't seen this yet:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/xbmc-...-apple-tv/
touser Wrote:Just in case everyone hasen't seen this yet:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/xbmc-...-apple-tv/

Very nice and congrats to the team on this release and anyone with one of these devices, but I hope that an Android version will be possible in the future.
pecinko Wrote:Have anybody been able to confirm 1080p on ATV2? Also, what restrictions would apply to bitrate, ref frames etc?

1080p is confirmed, 1920 x 900 is no problem, 1920 x 1080 has some slight frame drops which we don't understand yet as the hw decoder has no problem keeping up.
So is this the end of our search for a low cost xbmc hardware?

http://xbmc.org/

Anyone wants to chime in about the performance?
I know this is slightly off topic, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to jailbreak their ATV2 using windows?
I've done some quick searching and haven't found much info yet.
owen meanie Wrote:I know this is slightly off topic, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to jailbreak their ATV2 using windows?
I've done some quick searching and haven't found much info yet.

http://techngadgetz.com/jailbreak-iphone...step-guide
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Big Grin 
The whole time on the subway with a stupid smile reading the news on my smartphone.

I just received as Xmas gift an ATV2 that I pretty much didn't even take out of its box (I already have a full HTPC).

Then comes XBMC team and they change the game once more. A $99 hardware running XBMC?!? You gotta be kidding me Shocked

Come February, another €50 are heading toward the team as a donation. I strongly urge anyone remotely touched by their awesomeness to donate something. Is this the coolest open source project ever or not?

Hats off guys, you really deserve a lot of success for your work. Nod
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
johngalt007 Wrote:So is this the end of our search for a low cost xbmc hardware?

http://xbmc.org/

Anyone wants to chime in about the performance?

Woah, can't wait for the performance reviews. If it's on par with an Atom/ION I'm sure there will be tons of happy people.
Was looking for a mediacenter to replace my old xbox. Now this is awesome. Just ordered a Appletv. Hope it will be in next week, so I can try it next weekend
How is the optical out working? Does it bitstream over HDMI too?
Also, can someone test and see if you can plug in an external hard drive to the micro-usb port on the back?
TV: VIZIO E-Series 43”
HTPC: Raspberry Pi 3
STORAGE: Windows 8 Server with DrivePool (Currently with 24TB)
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to run on hacked second-gen Apple TV (AppleTV 2 with A4 ARM chip and iOS)?0