• 9(current)
Completed my A6-Pack Build and an unRaid server (with pictures)
(2012-08-10, 20:37)Skank Wrote: Any idea of your power usage during sleep?

Good question, never checked because I suppose I didn't care to find out.
I suppose it's one of those things that if you started checking every appliance, you'd start to drive yourself crazy.

If someone else knows theirs,..please post.

Can anyone let me know if it makes any sense to try and use my old hp pavilion amd athlon 64x2 4200+ a1710n case, psu, and DVD drive to build a decent htpc? I wanted to see about saving a few dollars. Interested in maybe doing amd a6 or a8 htpc build if anyone has suggestions? I believe it's a micro atx style case but no idea the psu power? The system as it sits is just horrible for video, dead slow with iTunes and horrible start up. It will be used for Internet browsing, downloading and streaming videos to 40 inch LCD. Let me know what u think or should I just get rid of the old parts and start fresh.
(2012-08-13, 00:56)Palmer Wrote: Can anyone let me know if it makes any sense to try and use my old hp pavilion amd athlon 64x2 4200+ a1710n case, psu, and DVD drive to build a decent htpc? I wanted to see about saving a few dollars. Interested in maybe doing amd a6 or a8 htpc build if anyone has suggestions? I believe it's a micro atx style case but no idea the psu power? The system as it sits is just horrible for video, dead slow with iTunes and horrible start up. It will be used for Internet browsing, downloading and streaming videos to 40 inch LCD. Let me know what u think or should I just get rid of the old parts and start fresh.

Do you have a decent graphics card in that machine? If so, what kind?
You might want to start your own thread since it'll get more responses from fellow posters.

Thanks I'll start my own thread too. No graphics card. It has 1 gig ram, can go to 4 but only ddr2. Not sure what to do with it, or just outright build a brand new htpc system like your example GortWillSaveUs
What's up Gort. Could you give me a rundown of the primary usage of your HTPC system? Do you use your HTPC to rip blu-rays then send them to your unRAID server?

I plan on building my own "Gort A6 HTPC" very soon (unRAID to come later). The only snaffoo is that my HTPC will be in my dedicated movie room. Not sure I want to turn on my projector every time I need to add a blu-ray to my collection. Would there be a way to add a separate monitor?
(2012-08-14, 17:36)azula Wrote: What's up Gort. Could you give me a rundown of the primary usage of your HTPC system? Do you use your HTPC to rip blu-rays then send them to your unRAID server?

I plan on building my own "Gort A6 HTPC" very soon (unRAID to come later). The only snaffoo is that my HTPC will be in my dedicated movie room. Not sure I want to turn on my projector every time I need to add a blu-ray to my collection. Would there be a way to add a separate monitor?

I use this machine to:
* Watch Bluray (actual discs if they weren't ripped)
* Use XBMC for pictures, videos, ripped movies, and viewing some addons like Best of YouTube.
* Use Windows to browse internet, mostly family checks Facebook
* Show to friends/neighbors and see if they're interested in building one
* Play one particular game called Battle Academy by Slitherine

I don't use this for ripping media at all just because it's in use by my family most of the time.
I have a separate workstation that I use for ripping and for intense gaming.

(2012-08-14, 17:36)azula Wrote: Would there be a way to add a separate monitor?

I suppose you could install a low-profile low-end video card if you wanted to add a separate monitor,...but I think you'd be better off using another machine for ripping media.
Would this Power Supply fit in this build? It is currently on sale for $20 (after rebate):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817139026
(2012-08-14, 19:20)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I suppose you could install a low-profile low-end video card if you wanted to add a separate monitor,...but I think you'd be better off using another machine for ripping media.

I was thinking the same thing. Without getting too technical, I would use my main PC to rip movies then somehow play the movies that I've ripped on my HTPC? Basically, I'm a little confused on how to get these two computers to communicate with each other.
(2012-08-14, 19:43)bamjoe Wrote: Would this Power Supply fit in this build? It is currently on sale for $20 (after rebate):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817139026

If you mean, will that PSU fit in the SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B (Black),..then the answer is yes.

The PSU I used was a SilverStone Strider 400W, 80 PLUS, Active PFC Power Supply ST40F-ES (Black) that has dimensions of 10x7x4

While the one you asked about has dimensions of: 5.9x5.5x3.4

That PSU should also give you more room if you decide on adding a BD-ROM drive
I will probably use the HTPC as a head unit for XBMC and my workstation for now, just to simplify things. If the time comes where I need a workstation, HTPC, and a server, I will tackle it then. Wish me luck and thanks for the help (again) Gort!!
Good luck and would love to see pictures as you build and the final outcome.
That's your MO, always asking for pictures. lol. You got it bro.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/s...u=C19-6143

Hey Gort, do you think this ram (2x4gb) 8 gb ddr3 1333mhz would be good in a a6 system build such as yours? I know I hear most reccommendstions 1866mhz for some reason.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60640&vpn=...omoid=1043

Or this
(2012-08-17, 19:16)Palmer Wrote: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/s...u=C19-6143

Hey Gort, do you think this ram (2x4gb) 8 gb ddr3 1333mhz would be good in a a6 system build such as yours? I know I hear most reccommendstions 1866mhz for some reason.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60640&vpn=...omoid=1043

Or this

I'd go with the one from Tiger Direct.
The other one may cause you a problem with the CPU cooler,..if you go with an after-market one.
(2012-08-15, 02:12)azula Wrote: That's your MO, always asking for pictures. lol. You got it bro.

Wink I ask for pictures because I'm always amazed to see something in the pictures that either:
a) I hadn't considered doing myself, be it wiring, small from factor case,....etc
b) Someone finds a solution to a similar problem I've run into, but I forgot to ask for help
c) Pictures make me happy Big Grin

• 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Completed my A6-Pack Build and an unRaid server (with pictures)2