• 9(current)
Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop
Quote:Originally Posted by bbaldino
Also, when watching a movie, if I press "z", I see 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, but pressing "o" shows the FPS as ~24...is auto adjust not working correctly?

Thanks for the help

When you hit O and it shows FPS isn't that just showing you what the source is?

I am not 100% sure. I was trusting my TV. I watching a show right now. TV says 60, fps says 30 and pressing z says 60.
Maybe the source is really 30 but xbmc and the TV agrees on display it as 60? From what I have read the most important is that it is displayed as a multiple of the real freq.

Maybe my TV does not support 30hz...

As you notice I don't really know how imaging is working. I work with erp systems, I dont know media.
I am interested in learning this stuff but cant spend too much time. Maybe you should open up a thread about this. There is an older thread explaining what I have written hear, look that up.
Gabbot,
Yeah, I believe so. From vikjon0's post I thought that the auto adjust would take the source's rate and adjust the tv appropriately, so I expected them to match, but sounds like we're not quite sure if that's the case.

It does seem that there is some disagreement on refresh rate between my TV and the pc, it seems like that would cause this "scrolling" I'm seeing across the screen?
Well I did some more testing. It is definitly working to a level.
It is picking the best fit that the TV supports. I my case 24,50 & 60. I found an .avi that gives fps of 25 and that is displayed at 50, another one 30 and it is displayed as 60. Both are ok since they can be be evenly converted without shutter.

If all your content is displaying at 60 it is not working. (or I suppose your TV only support 60)
Do you have the 1920x1080 24hz in screen resolution? Have you checked in xorg.conf that the option lines ended up in the correct line?

Some peple reported that deleting the guisettings.xml was necessary after making the changed to the conf.
My xorg.conf didn't list any refresh rates explicitly, I'll have to check nvidia-settings to see if 24hz is an option. I was thinking maybe the auto adjust relies on having all the possibilities (24, 60) listed in xorg.conf? Maybe not, I dunno.

I'll try to see if I can find another refresh rate setting in nvidia-settings, and try removing guisettings as well.
Quote:My xorg.conf didn't list any refresh rates explicitly, I'll have to check nvidia-settings to see if 24hz is an option.
Sorry I was not clear
1) Check in xbmc settings /appearance /screen / resolution that you have 24hz etc.
I assume it should be in there if xbmc beleives it is ok.

2) check xorg.conf to make sure the two option lines added is in the correct secgion.
If you used the sed insert stuff that seem to be dependent on the driver version so I should add to guide that it is necessary to manually make sure that they are added to the screen section.
hi
when xbmc user logins -> gdm starts -> default xsession -> xbmc starts.

it seems possible to run multiple xsessions. i could try to run boxee in 2nd xsession. both xsessions can be switched back and forth by keyboard combo keys. is there anyway to map the combo keys to the MCE remote's buttons?

specifically 2 mappings

Alt + Ctrl + F1
Alt + Ctrl + F7
vikjon0 Wrote:Sorry I was not clear
1) Check in xbmc settings /appearance /screen / resolution that you have 24hz etc.
I assume it should be in there if xbmc beleives it is ok.

2) check xorg.conf to make sure the two option lines added is in the correct secgion.
If you used the sed insert stuff that seem to be dependent on the driver version so I should add to guide that it is necessary to manually make sure that they are added to the screen section.

Thanks for your patience, vikjon0 Smile

In the settings / appearance / screen / resolution, I didn't see 1920x1080 24Hz anywhere. I'm not at home now, but I can give some examples of what I did see there when I get home later.

As far as the xorg.conf settings...I may have those in the wrong spot! I believe I put them in the 'Device' section, so I'll fix those as well!
pistachio Wrote:I finally get hdmi audio from my tv. All I did just unmute "IEC958 1" in alsamixer even its volume couldn't be raise, i.e. 00. All 3 "IEC958" "IEC958 D" "IEC958 1" are now at 00 level. Thanks to anyone offering help. esp vikjon's quick response. Thanks a lot!
Hrmm... I can't seem to get sound to work even after unmuting everything, and putting all volumes to max.

Followed the install guide step by step with a fresh install, and cannot play sound from within Gnome either.

I have used audio over hdmi with this hdmi cable before.

Here is a screenshot of my alsa config:

It does save it's config when running "sudo alsactl store 0", since the settings are the same when I re-open it.

When I run xbmc from within a terminal, I get this error in bash:
"ALSA lib pcm.c:2205Sadsnd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM hdmi (alt2 "plug:hdmi" alt3 "plughw:0,3")"

Also, this is the error from within XBMC:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Anybody have any ideas?

Edit:

My solution was that I was incorrectly using this:
hdmi (alt2 "plug:hdmi" alt3 "plughw:0,3"

When I should have been using one out of this list. I chose "plug:hdmi", and it works now (thanks vikjon0!)

Try with: plug:hdmi
Yes
Quote:hdmi (alt2 "plug:hdmi" alt3 "plughw:0,3"
is a list of alternatives, you need to pick one.

Quote:is there anyway to map the combo keys to the MCE remote's buttons?
Yes, you can send keys with irxevent (addon to lirc). You need to read up on how it works.
vikjon0 Wrote:Yes

is a list of alternatives, you need to pick one.

bless your heart! it works now!
bbaldino Wrote:Thanks for your patience, vikjon0 Smile

In the settings / appearance / screen / resolution, I didn't see 1920x1080 24Hz anywhere. I'm not at home now, but I can give some examples of what I did see there when I get home later.

As far as the xorg.conf settings...I may have those in the wrong spot! I believe I put them in the 'Device' section, so I'll fix those as well!

I believe putting the xorg options under the correct section has done it...I'll have to investigate more this weekend, but so far so good!
Nice Guide... but i have 2 Problems Shocked

1. I cant see any of my Movie Files on a Network Drive (NAS etc) i can only see the Folders Huh But i can see the Files on a USB Stick Stare

2. HDMI Audio wont work... alt "HDMI" alt2 "plug:hdmi" alt3 "plughw:0,3" nothing works so any other way that i could try Huh
Quote:1. I cant see any of my Movie Files on a Network Drive (NAS etc) i can only see the Folders But i can see the Files on a USB Stick
No idea, I have no problem to add - browse - network location and add a windows share. Do not have NAS.
I assume you have tried the sames files on USB that was not visable on NAS?
I understand that it is possible to mount a network location in the linux filesyste, that could be an alternative. I am guessing that you are making a simple misstake though.

Quote:2. HDMI Audio wont work... alt "HDMI" alt2 "plug:hdmi" alt3 "plughw:0,3" nothing works so any other way that i could try
digital
off
off
hdmi
hdmi
on

Does indeed work if you have unmuted the HDMI channel and raised volume on PCM + Master. Otherwise you are doing something else wrong.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop0