Looking for a remote to control EVERYTHING

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ashlar Offline
Donor
Harmony. Definitely Harmony IMHO.

It does what you ask and together with EventGhost it can automate so much of your PC...

For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
find quote
gquiring Offline
I have always liked Pronto remotes. I made my own screen for XBMC using a Pronto 9400. I could not get a good photo of the screen. 2nd photo is from the Pronto editor.

[Image: 16jejqu.jpg]

[Image: xokv8h.jpg]

XBMC: Gigabyte GA-B75M, i3 IvyB 3.4ghz, 8gig ram, m4 Crucial SSD, Saphire HD6450, Logitech diNovo Mini
Storage: TheCus N5550 15tb and TheCus N4100Pro 8tb
HT: Panasonic V10P50 Plasma, Pioneer VSX-1121K, Pronto TSU-9400 remote
Software: Win 7 Ultimate x86, Eventghost, iPad 3 Constellation app
find quote
Amadeus Offline
I was about to post exactly the same question.
I intend to buy an iPad3 when they're released (I don't currently have an iPad, there seems little point in buying one when the new one is imminent an besides, I've not found the solution to my problem yet) and I want to use this.
My current plan is to buy a Pioeer SC-LX85 AV amp (partly due to the wonderful iPad app) so will want to control this, along with my TV, MacMini running XBMC etc.

Anyone had any success with the Harmony Link software (I think it's currently only available in the US)?
find quote
Amadeus Offline
Found this which answers a few questions
find quote
Dilligaf Online
Fan
http://www.hifi-remote.com
$15 remote and $5 homemade cable gives you a totally customizable remote that can control anything with an IR receiver, cheap enough to have his, hers and kids remotes so there is never any fighting about who gets the remote. Supports an multitude of URC remotes including many of the cable company issued remotes. If your remote has a 6 pin (2x3) connector in the battery compartment you can make it sing.

Mike

If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
find quote
rupert Offline
Dilligaf Wrote:http://www.hifi-remote.com
$15 remote and $5 homemade cable gives you a totally customizable remote that can control anything with an IR receiver, cheap enough to have his, hers and kids remotes so there is never any fighting about who gets the remote. Supports an multitude of URC remotes including many of the cable company issued remotes. If your remote has a 6 pin (2x3) connector in the battery compartment you can make it sing.

Mike

I second this recommendation. I have a $12 PVR remote I use for this (well 3 of them actually), I used a USB programmer but honestly you can pretty much get away with using the preprogrammed in codes if you have a simple set up.

I don't have line of site for my HTPC, so I convert the cheap one-for-all IR remote to an RF remote with the nextgen extender (link below). Put the base station in line of site of the devices IR receiver & replace one of your remotes batteries with the nextgen batter/RF transmitter combo & BAM IR remote becomes RF remote.

I use 3 OfA remotes with these in my house (one for each floor) & pipe the XBMC signal throughout. Works fine sending signal from the second floor into my basement.

http://www.smarthome.com/8045I/NextGen-I...MHz/p.aspx

I looked at those harmony remotes, but they where all rather expensive & somewhat tacky looking w/the LCD screens & all. I wanted physical buttons I could find in the dark & if I want to go LCD screen that's what my phone is for.
find quote
Amadeus Offline
I'm looking for a solution which will allow me to create activities such as watch film - turn on AV receiver, tv, change tv input etc. Not sure these will allow that sort of thing?

thanks
find quote
Dilligaf Online
Fan
You can easily set up "macros" that execute a series of commands that will do what you want. Macros can be set up on the device selection keys that will switch inputs and outputs to whatever is needed. There is a bit of a learning curve but it's not too difficult and the "experts" in the forums go out of their way to help.

Mike

If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
find quote
johnsills1 Offline
iRule FTMFW
find quote