• 7(current)
New forum - Pros and Cons
The old forum included more text in the email, often enough to tell if relevant (for me or not). I think it is less now? Perhaps we could dial it back up again?

EDIT: and some hot headed young man apparently set -6 on a post I made and now I have -3 rep in totall....not to happy with that.
I guess what I saying is if you like this post give it +3 Smile.
I think the rep isn't "noticeable" and used enough as it should be. I didn't even really know it was there until the new forum came in (which I suppose is an improvement already) but there is no hint as to what the +/- buttons do and overall I think it would be better if these were used more around the forum. Just my 2¢
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
If you hover over the buttons they show what they do.

In general I don't really care about reputations and find the rep to much noticable.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-03-14, 13:20)Martijn Wrote: If you hover over the buttons they show what they do.

In general I don't really care about reputations and find the rep to much noticable.

It is much more noticeable now. Also I forgot about the hover function as on my iPad mostly so that doesn't work on here but overall the forum is a great improvement!
Set Up
like the tabbed browsing, gonna take some getting used to but it seems a lot better!
(2012-03-14, 13:20)Martijn Wrote: In general I don't really care about reputations and find the rep to much noticable.

I agree. The rep stands out significantly. And its sometimes a bit misleading. I was surprised to see some guys that have been very helpful on the forums to have a negative rep and then when I looked into it they got a -20 or something back in 2007. Kind of meaningless in the present day. If rep is going to stay against the user maybe its better just to use the last 12 months data rather than really old stuff.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
(2012-03-15, 00:00)rocketpants Wrote:
(2012-03-14, 13:20)Martijn Wrote: In general I don't really care about reputations and find the rep to much noticable.

I agree. The rep stands out significantly. And its sometimes a bit misleading. I was surprised to see some guys that have been very helpful on the forums to have a negative rep and then when I looked into it they got a -20 or something back in 2007. Kind of meaningless in the present day. If rep is going to stay against the user maybe its better just to use the last 12 months data rather than really old stuff.

I tend to agree - and it's not something the dev team wants to be embroiled in. It has it's merits, but the above suggestion makes sense in allowing past trangressions (warranted or not) to slide off the scale. There is some debate on it now, let's see where it goes.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Regarding reputation, it seems to me that the only use of it is perhaps in helping new users decide whether any suggestions given to them by another poster are trustworthy or not, and in addition gives a measure of kudos for those that help others out.

Thus, my preferences are:

1. Delete all negative rep (and possibly just reset all rep to zero) and disallow anything other than positive rep and only a single user rep per user OR:
2. Remove it altogether.

We'd be interested in hearing what others think.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Option 1 is a good idea, but better in the form of a thanks button.
We can "easily" make the +/- button an "Add Thanks" button I should think.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Positive feedback (whether by +1's, thanks, likes, etc) encourages users to be helpful and polite, and highlites users who go out of their way to help others, so some form of feedback is good for the community in general. It's the negatives that need looking at as they can be out of spite at times. There's always the "Report" button to handle offensive posts.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
A thanks button would be great I agree with all that has been said so far really. If it ain't broke then don't fix it if you don't want to. Just something I had noticed That doesn't really seems to be used how it should or much at all really.
Set Up
The reason i suggested thanks button is that it stands out and it's clear what it's for. The +/- is too hard to find imo. Wether the button says thanks or like I don't care, just as long as it's recognizable.
(2012-03-14, 04:29)thrak76 Wrote:
(2012-03-14, 02:44)rocketpants Wrote:
(2012-03-12, 19:31)Capt.Insano Wrote: Is it possible to have the Time and Date of a post somewhere at the top of a post rather than the bottom?

Some long posts (e.g. Skin Screenshoots ) mean you have to scroll past all the lovely eye candy before you know if a post is recent or not!!

New forum looks great - but I'd have to agree with the location of the Time and Date. Its much easier to work out currency of a post when the date is at the top of the post (see this post http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32891 as an example)

+1

Date and time at the top would be great! So accustomed to that on pretty much every forum out there.

Thanks a Million for sorting this! (looks much better on top IMHO)

and seriously; congrats on such a smooth transition- New forums look great!!

The Capt.
Kinda OT but still

We could expect similar situation with rating of addons that's planned.

I vote for positive only.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

• 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New forum - Pros and Cons0