• 12(current)
[Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D
At first I was apprehensive to go with a Windows build because I like how hardened the Linux live builds are and the fact that very little tweaking is needed. However after reading here and talking with a friend that has been running windows it seems like Windows isn't a bad way to go.

My question is regarding 3D. I just got a Samsung UN65D8000 and my main goal is to build a new xbmc box that can stream a raw 3D image file (usually around 40-48GB full iso) and output 3D just like if I were to burn that image to an actual disc and play it through a stand alone player.

Does anyone know if there are plans to support this Motherboard/CPU combo for Linux live?
alexbo Wrote:Also, regarding the desire to play more games on this system (or Skyrim on high settings!), would a recommended course of action be to buy a bigger+better video card? Or rather to buy another video card that matches the one built on the chip so that they can work in some sort of dual-mode? Just curious what's most cost-effective, and how much benefit it would give.

Basically I want to know anything and everything this system can do, so I'm curious what ideas other people have had.

You can play most of the new games. Thus, not on high settings. If you want full experience than additional card is needed for dual mode, and even one in medium segment would be enough.
after the first impression with AsRock motherboard, I`m not so satisfied with its fan management. Full control is working only on APU Fan (Shuriken2), but it won`t for the both of my case fans (Noctua & Chieftec). I tried to change volumes from 1 to 10, but they are spinning at the maximum RPM all the time....Petty.

At the other hand Gigabyte motherboard set minimum volume for case fans, and just change the speed of APU fan but automatically, and you can not set desire speed or temperature as for AsRock. Although automatically, it performs a good job. For all cases which can accept this mobo, maybe it is better choice.
Hello,

I bought and built this exact setup.

The problem I am having is 2 related things. The first is I would like to use wake on LAN to power on the computer when it is completely powered off. I believe I have all he settings set in windows, on he adapter settings etc. but it does not work.

The other thing to point out if I put the pc in hibernation from xbmc, when I power it back on it loses all connection to my network. All of my movies are stored on a server on my LAN and it can't connect after being asleep so I have to reboot to resume use.

Something seems to not be set that has full power sent to network card no matter the state. Can someone advise? I don't see any settings in bios but maybe I'm doing something wrong
Anyone know a BD that will fit this configuration
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
bd players are listed in my htpc guide
(2012-03-11, 06:06)FoulPlay Wrote: Hello,

The problem I am having is 2 related things. The first is I would like to use wake on LAN to power on the computer when it is completely powered off. I believe I have all he settings set in windows, on he adapter settings etc. but it does not work.

Did you enable WoL in the BIOS as well?
So I've read through several of Eskro's threads on different builds and decided this is the one for me. I'll be running Win7 as the OS and have no interest in gaming. The primary use will be streaming 1080P movies, music, and some light web browsing when I'm too lazy to grab my laptop.

Currently I'm looking at these parts (prices from Amazon):
ASRock MB-A75M ($75)
AMD A8-3850 APU ($125)
SilverStone ML03B ($65)
Patriot Memory Torqx 2 Series 64 GB SSD ($65 after MIR)
Kingston Technology HyperX Blu 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 ($41)

I'm at $371 before the PSU and won't be getting a BR drive at this time (though I may look at getting one in the future). My biggest question is on the PSU. In reading through the thread the 3 most discussed PSU's seem to be the SS-400ET ($52 on back order), SS-400FL ($120), or a 150W picoPSU (≈$80). Ideally I'd like to keep the cost under a hundo and for my needs it sounds like any of these options will work. I'd like to minimize noise but it doesn't have to be perfectly silent. Any thoughts on which of these (or other PSUs) might work well for me?

Thanks in advance.
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Stride...B0034XRDUK
(2012-03-13, 05:03)eskro Wrote: bd players are listed in my htpc guide

how to i finfd out the deminsions on these
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
(2012-03-13, 05:10)Monkeypox Wrote:
(2012-03-11, 06:06)FoulPlay Wrote: Hello,

Did you enable WoL in the BIOS as well?

Where in the bios is the setting, the bios seems to have fe options?
i belive my asrock a75m has a Consumer Infrared Module Header (CIR1) does anyone know where to find a moduler and if so is it worth it. should i be looking elswere for remote controle solution. i have a harmony 300 that i would like to continue using if at all possible. thanks guys
just wanted to confirm that indeed the stock cooler is verry loud will be upgrading soon
yeah, AMD coolers are rather noisy...
(2012-03-14, 04:13)lagledavid Wrote: i belive my asrock a75m has a Consumer Infrared Module Header (CIR1) does anyone know where to find a moduler and if so is it worth it. should i be looking elswere for remote controle solution. i have a harmony 300 that i would like to continue using if at all possible. thanks guys

Took some finding out but I also got an Asrock board that has the CIR port and finally got it figured out and working today! Here is the Asrock remote and received I purchased but I suspect any MCE remote would have worked if routed to the CIR port. The trick is you must route one of your external case USB ports with it's internal cables to plug half into the CIR and half into the USB pin header next to it (there is a diagram in the link to the Asrock remote and receiver above that shows) Once you do that boot the system up one time and let it recognize the device and you will then be able to power on from complete shut down state. Also if you have your HTPC in a closet like me you can use a usb extension cable to route the receiver somewhere in line of sight Smile I am running the latest Eden live RC2 so it works with Linux and Windows Smile

Hope that helps.

• 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D1