Win [WIP] FreakOut - NZB Downloader/Updater for Games
Good day to you community,

today I want to present my own little project (finally Wink ) called FreakOut.
FreakOut is designed to complement sickbeard, couchpotato and headphones to take the last step in a completely automated setup.
FreakOut aims to download Games, Patches and DLC for the various games you have installed/will install. I aim to implement ROM-Support for different consoles as well.
The program also includes features to automaticly create the Launchers.xml-File used by AdvancedLauncher.
The program will download boxarts, fanarts and additional information for each game.

At this point the feature-set is heavily limited and it can only do the following things:
1. Setup a database with all your games installed
2. Download Fanart/Poster and write NFO (all done via the button "Write NFO")
3. Write the launchers.xml
4. Send new downloads to sabnzbd (only nzbs.org; only full-games at this point; no post-processing either)
5. A few features more

At this point I want to give access to Users who know that this software is merely at an alpha-stage. I am seeking for testers who are willing to test my software and also provide some information on other nzb-hosters (because I only have access to nzbs.org). If you are interested in testing my software, just write in this thread, I will PM you with further information.

Download:
DO NOT POST BUG REPORTS IN THIS THREAD!
http://tbueter.com/tools/FreakOut/FreakOut-preAlpha.zip

Changelog:
Code:
21.03 --- commit-SHA: [url=https://github.com/henryford/FreakOut/commit/56f03217ceeae1d04b5a6969e74201aefb0d5542]56f03217ceeae1d04b5a6969e74201aefb0d5542[/url]
-- Added nzbmatrix-support: TESTERS NEEDED!
-- Refined the build-process - all necessary DLLs should now reside in the correct directory - you should be able to build it with VS2010
-- Some GUI tweaks
-- Some scraping tweaks (implemented Platform-support for future implementation of Platform-downloads)

20.03 --- commit-SHA: 896d5da5ffdcffee04d34293ee3b8c50eb8db3d6
-- Added settings regarding sabnzbd and nzbsorg, nothing hardcoded left in the code, should now work
-- Embedded Firebird's DLLs in the build process
-- Refined database layout
-- fix build issues in the git project, should now build fine
-- building target set to x86 instead of x64 to resolve compatibility issues

GitHub-Repo is open for issue-tracking and forking!
You can find it over here:
https://github.com/henryford/FreakOut

19.03 --- Regarded as first commit to git repo

Screenshots:
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Please, please consider moving to Python so this can be used on a variety of systems. The reason that audio-matic failed to gain as many followers as Headphones did was due to the fact it was Windows only.

That being said, it looks amazing. I can definitely see myself using this if it had Rom support.
Holy Shit HenryF !! what are you trying to pull here ? get us all drooling ? this is AMAZING !!! someone punch me in the face ! OK calm down.. hmmmmmm after all the hysterics lets get some facts .. so No "Ahem" torrent support @ present ( I know .. should move to nzb's .. just taking my time ), and it will get the games into shape by writing nfo's auto scraping & writing launchers.xml . I would be honoured to give this a try but alas I dunno anything (yet) re nzb 's.
Just another fleeting thought tho ! could you do the same but instead for Comics as well ? i.e scrape , get metadata , write nfo & creat launcher.xml for each seperate comic?
Anyway this is going to be big I can see all gamers diving headlong... lemme know if you need torrent related alpha testing
Keep up the MOST EXCELLENT work with this & HP & CP..
I know of these issues... well the problem for me is that I do not know the least single bit about Python and time to get into it just isn't there...

Seriously though: I think I would be better off learning another language. But I will definetly think about support for multiple operating systems, but don't expect anything in the meantime...
Also - you might have noticed that SB tends to be very slow at times - I found out that that isn't due to the database used but rather due to Python. Python is bad at handling memory wisely, and especially in database-heavy applications (such as mine) you can feel that the program is slowing down. I will look into Perl, Ruby and Java - but I have to say that Python isn't one of my desired choices.

The thing is: I started this project for personal usage - at first it wasn't even planned to release anything to the public but since I went on implementing things, I just thought that a few users might enjoy this program... If my thread does kick others off to start developing their own "FreakOut" I would call my program a success Wink
Otherwise you might have to wait until I am able to program for other OS as well.

Edit:
@shaktoo:
That was indeed my intention - that's why I called it "FreakOut" Wink Big Grin
Torrent-Support is a feature I definetly want to have in the final version, but as of now I am focussing on NZBs (mainly because I use them Wink ). But Torrents - yes, yes that is a feature you'll see at some point Smile

If you are still interested in the program at this stage - I could still give you access. But remember: Everything is really, really alpha. So it could be that you run into problems for example with creating the launchers.xml. And: I do not have the clearest schedule - most of the time work is pinning me down to an extend where I am unwilling to do anything in the evening. So - major upgrade probably only will happen on Weekends.

The auto-scraping at this point is'nt done yet - but that is another feature that will be implemented (and indeed there is already some code regarding this).
I think there is the possibility to implement Comics as well - but I have to get a scraper working for that one. Do you know a good site for comic-related informations? In the end Comics should just be like another Platform. Currently I aim to implement as much as possible - but I am far from knowing all the emulators or even platforms out there. I would be grateful if someone could push a few hints my way regarding Emulators and Launch-Options.
I propose the following format:
Platform: The Console the Emulator is designed for
Operating-System: Under which operating-system the emulator runs
Command-Line-Options: Command-Line-Options which are necessary in order to launch the emulator directly into the desired ROM (i.e.: Like AL does already).
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

(2012-03-16, 18:17)xecutionx Wrote: Please, please consider moving to Python so this can be used on a variety of systems. The reason that audio-matic failed to gain as many followers as Headphones did was due to the fact it was Windows only.

That being said, it looks amazing. I can definitely see myself using this if it had Rom support.

Love the idea...

+1 for something that can run cross-platform...

My day-to-day work is on Win7, but all my media, downloading, security, sits on a headless debian box.
(Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, Headphones, Couchpotoes, Moviegrabber, Pyload, transmision, Zonealarm, Cups)
So this would be a nice addition to the arsenal... Smile

Having said that, I'm more than happy to try it on a Win7 x64 machine if necessary, (there's always one on somewhere in the house...)
and I have NZB-Matrix account to help test it with...

Just send us a PM

Nice! I had this idea awhile back, and I'm glad it's finally coming to fuition. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99650

I would like to see this become a cross platform web application though. Maybe you can collaborate with this guy that seems to have similar goals as you? https://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9672

Where are you scraping art and metadata from? If you're scraping from my site (thegamesdb), you should shoot me a message. Some things are going to be changing soon with the API, and you will have a lot more options, but you will need to be prepared to make a few changes.

Keep up the good work!
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
Well - I just read a lot about Python and how to program with it - maybe I'll jump over myself and actually learn Python then Wink
In the end it all boils down to personal preference but at this point I am seriously looking at Java, but I think that that will arise more problems - especially with interoperability between the different Linux-Distris (especially on things like unRAID).
Mhm... let me think about it - if I'll decide to learn python, I'll probably contact the dev you mentioned @ghostelement, but I am very particuluar about my coding-style (especially in regards to commenting the code). Not commenting anything (see the current code) is a deal-breaker for me, but he'll probably reconsider that Wink
Also - at this point I think he aims to implement an own database for the games and that is definetly not something I want to do. I want to rely on external sources - just like thegamesdb.

Also - I will give you the ability to download my program without asking for it - see the first post for a link. But please, please, please: DO NOT post bug reports here, I will ignore them. I will soon setup a bugtracker and from then on, you can report bugs Smile

Please tell me when you setup the bugtracker. I tried the program already from the link in your OP, but it doesn't start at all..

But still, it looks very promising, and I will be happy to test it for you ;-)
How does it decide what games to search for? Is there a I want list? Does it fetch every game? Whats the method?

Great idea!
(2012-03-18, 10:05)_Mikie_ Wrote: How does it decide what games to search for? Is there a I want list? Does it fetch every game? Whats the method?
You can add games you want to have downloaded via the search-box, you can then pick from the results returned by thegamesdb and FreakOut will start looking for those games.

(2012-03-18, 23:27)HenryFord Wrote:
(2012-03-18, 10:05)_Mikie_ Wrote: How does it decide what games to search for? Is there a I want list? Does it fetch every game? Whats the method?
You can add games you want to have downloaded via the search-box, you can then pick from the results returned by thegamesdb and FreakOut will start looking for those games.

Very nice! One suggestion. I don't know if there is a reliable database source of when games will be released but maybe a page can be dedicated to showing upcoming games so you can discover games from within FreakOut. Make sense?
Okay - the thing is... I am looking at Python right now, and I am thinking of just redoing this thing again - because I am not yet at an advanced point and it would be easier to go to Python now than to do it later.
Remember - in the end this is a personal coding project, I do this mainly because I want to get into programming a little bit more (and learning Python obviously has it's advantages in the XBMC-World), so as of now I won't give public access to the git repo. Once I'm done implementing everything I want to (let's say at a release around v 0.5), I'll open it up.

I will keep updating my process here - and since I already have the the things worked out (including database-design), I think I'll come up with something fairly soon (expect to see something in 2 weeks tops)

I am retracting my statement as of now: I will definetly not use Python.
I just spent a few hours trying to figure out how to get everything working out and well... frustrating experience.
I will not go down that road again since my time is heavily limited.

Sorry for everyone expecting cross-plattform: I will not do that as of today. I will probably reconsider this decision at some point, but there is no chance that I am going to learn Python+cherrypy+sometemplateengine for this project at this point.

Looking forward to the progress of this program, hopefully console support won't be to far off
Hardware - HP Proliant MicroServer N36L 8TB / Amazon Fire TV Stick
Software - NZBget / Radarr / Sonarr / uTorrent / Plex / NZB 360

Post - HQ WWE Fanart
(2012-03-19, 19:11)HenryFord Wrote: I am retracting my statement as of now: I will definetly not use Python.
I just spent a few hours trying to figure out how to get everything working out and well... frustrating experience.
I will not go down that road again since my time is heavily limited.

Sorry for everyone expecting cross-plattform: I will not do that as of today. I will probably reconsider this decision at some point, but there is no chance that I am going to learn Python+cherrypy+sometemplateengine for this project at this point.

I know how much of a PITA that can be. Could I suggest taking a look at Web2py? That eliminates the Cherrypy part and the templating literally couldn't be more simple. You place the text {{=somefunction}} in your html and and when it's presented to the user it'll be replaced with whatever is returned by your python function. All the server stuff, startup and etc are handled for you as well.

I'm fairly well versed in it and I'd be willing to answer any questions if it'd help make this happen.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] FreakOut - NZB Downloader/Updater for Games0