• 9(current)
[Release] MLBMC - a Major League Baseball (video) add-on
(2011-07-31, 16:28)divingmule Wrote: Thanks to thegryghost and his HLS client linux users can watch MLB.tv NexDef streams.

Installing the HLS client.

Make sure you have cURL, OpenSSL, and libconfig installed on your system.
For Ubuntu I also had to install libcurl4-gnutls-dev and libconfig-dev
For Gentoo: emerge net-misc/curl dev-libs/libconfig dev-libs/openssl

Checkout the source and compile

Code:
$ mkdir mlbhls
$ cd mlbhls
$ svn checkout http://mlbtv-hls-nexdef.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
$ make

If all goes well you should have a new executable named mlbhls. Now copy the mlbhls executable to somewhere in your "path".

Code:
$ sudo cp mlbhls /usr/bin

Modding the MLBMC add-on.

Make a temp directory and download the modded files.

Code:
$ mkdir nexdef-temp
$ cd nexdef-temp
$ wget http://mlbmc-xbmc.googlecode.com/files/NexDef-Mod-0.3

Un-zip and copy the files to the plugin directory.

Code:
$ tar -xzvf NexDef-Mod-0.3
$ cp -R resources/ ~/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.mlbmc/
$ cp -R default.py ~/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.mlbmc/

Delete the temp files.
Code:
$ cd
$ rm -rf nexdef-temp/

You may need to re-select the "addon setting" for MLB.tv playback.

I am currently using openELEC, will this work for hidef video streams? I am not sure what I will need to do to set this up? simple follow these command line instructions,,, or will I need to do something else, I understand the openELEC is stripped down so I am not sure if I already have the pieces needed.

Should I download the add-on before making these modifications?

Thanks so much for the support... I am really looking forward to getting MLB up and running on my HTPC!

HTPC: CPU | MoBo | GPU | Case & PSU | RAM |SSD
Sorry Andro, that was a mod that we did last year and is now outdated. I've just about got a new version ready to test but it's been sort of unstable for me so far.

This depends on the external HLS client, to my knowledge no one has been able to get the client to work with openElec.

Try the latest version from post #114. This year there are now 2.4 Mb streams, not quite HD but have seemed pretty nice to me.
Thanks for the update to include audio. I'll be trying it out this coming week...Basketball has my attention todayCool
(2012-03-17, 14:10)divingmule Wrote: Sorry Andro, that was a mod that we did last year and is now outdated. I've just about got a new version ready to test but it's been sort of unstable for me so far.

This depends on the external HLS client, to my knowledge no one has been able to get the client to work with openElec.

Try the latest version from post #114. This year there are now 2.4 Mb streams, not quite HD but have seemed pretty nice to me.

I just read through this entire thread, and forgive me if this has been answered and I just didn't see the answer.

Before I go about modding the pluggin for HLS support, I'm seeing a lot of chatter about the HLS client/NextDef stream not being compatible with Eden yet. Is HLS/NextDef not available with Eden yet? Or am I just assuming wrong and I can go ahead and install the HLS client and mod the plugin?

(I'm on XBMCbuntu running Eden RC2 at the moment)
(2012-03-17, 14:10)divingmule Wrote: Sorry Andro, that was a mod that we did last year and is now outdated. I've just about got a new version ready to test but it's been sort of unstable for me so far.

Actually, after refreshing my memory Blush It wasn't a problem with the client but a problem with early Eden builds. So it may be worth a try when updated.
(2012-03-18, 21:22)creanium Wrote:

I just read through this entire thread, and forgive me if this has been answered and I just didn't see the answer.

Before I go about modding the pluggin for HLS support, I'm seeing a lot of chatter about the HLS client/NextDef stream not being compatible with Eden yet. Is HLS/NextDef not available with Eden yet? Or am I just assuming wrong and I can go ahead and install the HLS client and mod the plugin?

Wait for an update.
(2012-03-19, 14:33)divingmule Wrote:
(2012-03-18, 21:22)creanium Wrote:

Wait for an update.

Will do. Cool
For brave Linux users only!

MLBMC(mlb-hls) Download install from zip -> https://mlbmc-xbmc.googlecode.com/files/...-0.1.2.zip

This will install as a separate add-on and depends on thegreyghost's MLB-HLS client.

Installing thegryghost's MLB-HLS client.

Make sure you have cURL, OpenSSL, and libconfig installed on your system.
For Ubuntu you may need to install libcurl4-gnutls-dev and libconfig-dev
For Gentoo: emerge net-misc/curl dev-libs/libconfig dev-libs/openssl

SVN checkout thegryghost's experimental branch and run make.

Code:
svn co https://mlbtv-hls-nexdef.googlecode.com/svn/branches/experimental mlb.exp
cd mlb.exp
make

If all goes well you should have a new executable named mlbhls. Now copy the mlbhls executable to somewhere in your "path".

Code:
sudo cp mlbhls /usr/bin

Add-on Settings

MLB-HLS options:
Lock Bitrate - This locks the bitrate at the specified Start Bitrate, disableing auto switching.
Start Bitrate - The bitrate to start the stream with.
Maximum Bitrate - Limit the maximum bitrate.
Minimum Bitrate - Limit the minimum bitrate.
Start Block - Quoting the MLB-HLS wiki -
Quote: Which Block to start at. If the game is still in progress and Start Block is 0, it will be the most current block (live). If you specify non-zero, it will start reading from the beginning with each block being about 6 seconds, so 5 will start 30 seconds from when MLB.tv started streaming.
So far, for me when watching an archived game, specifiying a start block of ~ 50 or 60 will be close to when the video actually starts.

Other:
Use File-In File-Out - when true, the temp-file that were reading the stream from will stay small. When false, the temp-file can grow very large. A rough estamate at 4.5Mbs is about 2GB an hour.
Using File-In File-Out seems to have cause me some unsuitability (xbmc freezing), YMMV.
Number of seconds to let video cache. - When not using File-In File-Out, we need to wait a bit for the video to cache.

I have had some stability issues, don't know if it's related to settings, xbmc, mlb-hls, my system.... ect.

Let me know how it goes for you and if you have any thoughts or ideas.
Hey like the new update. Only thing i have a request for is to maybe look at possibly having the podcasts organized by most recent as the dates were all over the place. Thanks
That's really strangeHuh They are in order, newest first, for me. They should be in the same order that they are scraped, from the rss feed eg - http://mlb.mlb.com/feed/podcast/c17429946.xml

Maybe it has to do with your skin or a skin setting ?
HLS worked on Linux Mint 12....only let it run for a few minutes, but it looked great.

Andro - I copied the mlbhls file to my Openelec box, but apparently Openelec does not have libconfig installed, so the plugin failed...
i am using the standard theme that xbmc uses. I will check again tonight shortly.
I notice the plug-in doesn't state "Free games" like it did last year MLB.tv has free games listed.
HLS seems to be working just fine under Mythbuntu 11.10. Thank you so much for all your work on this!

Go Rangers!

Edit: I also had to install libssl-devel as well to compile HLS.
(2012-03-30, 16:59)WildBill Wrote: I notice the plug-in doesn't state "Free games" like it did last year MLB.tv has free games listed.

I think, maybe it's a preseason thing. Once the season starts (this week sometime?) I think the listings I'm using will get updated.
(2012-04-01, 08:12)comeandtakeit Wrote: HLS seems to be working just fine under Mythbuntu 11.10. Thank you so much for all your work on this!

Go Rangers!

Edit: I also had to install libssl-devel as well to compile HLS.

Cool Thanks for replying.
Looks like mlb.com is no longer putting condensed games on their site. Sad
Everything else appears to still be working.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] MLBMC - a Major League Baseball (video) add-on7