• 88(current)
QUARTZ - Gotham
(2012-04-02, 12:05)pecinko Wrote: Maybe but don't hold your breath.

Banners where introduced, IMHO, to allow more items in grid view and to allow more fanart to be seen in fanart views. They have very specific dimensions and do not allow much flexibility in other cases. E.g. Your mockup seems unbalanced to me as you have half of the screen in text.

I see your point. To me, the text on the left actually balances the images on the right. There's generally not much space for the text in views, so you always have these scrolling bits and a lot of superfluous images. (such as fanart)

I just wish there was anything I could do to help you consider it Angel

(2012-04-02, 12:05)pecinko Wrote: Since you do not use grid nor fanart it seems more logical to go with posters for tv shows in your case. Just a thought.

I suppose I could go with the media info view, just like in Movies. I, long ago, had something like that, but I learned to love the banners. Besides, even that view doesn't have much text space Wink

Anyway, thanks for considering it.
Hehe..

Maybe I'm missing the point. Do you actually read TV Show descriptions when you enter there? I see the point for movies and episodes, but isn't it really more like decoration in case of TV Shows?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2012-03-28, 15:34)pecinko Wrote:
(2012-03-28, 15:02)ajerazzor Wrote: Should I have a list of add ons in the media tray when going to add ons? I dont - just the stock xbmc logo

Add them to shelf in skin settings?

I don't like making decisions for a user by myself.

I would have thought any custom addins you have added to the menu would be nice to icon them bit like the option in confluence to have em under menu?
In Quartz you add them as icons above menu.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Actually, yes, I do read them. Maybe I'm a bit weird (don't answer that), but I do read the things. I like the look of text on the page, which is why the text boxes that are too small bother me somewhat. Also, when people come over to watch something, as well as the wife, it's extra info about what series I've now put on the tv. (I watch all tv through XBMC, the tv works as a glorified monitor to the htpc)

For me, it's a combination. I read the text and I like the text/graphics split of the page.

It kind of bothers me that the "TV Shows ##" is above the banners and not on the text/info side. (the clock I can live with, although it is not aligned with anything) (by the way, I have the feeling you don't use the clock yourself).

Anyway, now I have to ask myself which is the best option: bribe/pay/beg/convinve you to make a view as I want it or possibly add fanart to the tv shows and use the view provided... Cool
Well, I can tell you what I do on ATV2 maybe you'll find it useful.

I scrape everything including fanart, but use views without it. Thus fan art is shown only in info screen. I use posters for tv shows and keep clock off Smile I don't have scrolling of description enabled as this annoys me a bit. Instead if (almost always crappy) description below proves to be insufficient, I go to Info screen so I can read it like a grown up Smile

However, I prefer "a la carte" as opposed to "all you can eat" when it comes to media. Thus, I mainly know what lies before me and don't mind being surprised.

To come back on topic, views with fanart are laggy on ATV2 even with Quartz. I would personally try those posters first.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2012-04-02, 21:17)pecinko Wrote: I don't have scrolling of description enabled as this annoys me a bit. Instead if (almost always crappy) description below proves to be insufficient, I go to Info screen so I can read it like a grown up Smile

One question though.. if the text is too long to fit in the text box on the info screen even, how do you read the part that is not in the first view if you don't have autoscrolling on? I haven't found a way to do that.

(2012-04-02, 21:17)pecinko Wrote: To come back on topic, views with fanart are laggy on ATV2 even with Quartz. I would personally try those posters first.

Well, my main machine is a very capable Mac Mini, the ATV2 is a backup for another screen and the ATV1 (without crystalhd even!) is being used by a friend. So I could use fanart if I wanted to. I just don't like it. I might try posters again, although I do love the banners as an alternative to a list of text (like in the media info view). It's not possible in your skin, but I'd even love a media info view with a poster and instead of the text on the right, a row of banners.

Time to hire some python coders for my own skin! Wink

pecinko,

Thanks for the fantastic skin, and your continuing improvements!

One small request: The watchlist is a great feature, but it's usefulness to me is limited by the layout, because the TV show titles are too small for me to read. It would be awesome if the size/position of the episode name and show title could be reversed, so that the show title was larger and the episode name was smaller. I'd also prefer to have the TV series poster or banner displayed instead of the episode thumbnail, but that's a relatively minor thing.

Any chance this could be added as a preference?

Regardless, thanks again for the excellent skin.
(2012-04-02, 02:01)pecinko Wrote:
(2012-04-02, 01:55)maruchan Wrote: I'm sorry if I've just overlooked this setting, but is there a way to invert the watched indicator? It defaults to a blue dot if you haven't watched an item, but I'd like the reverse: unmarked until watched.

No way to change, sorry.

I have decided to stick with ATV interface and mark items of interest instead of vice versa.

So there are no plans to add an option to switch between, like in the original Quartz skin? Sad Hopefully it'll find its way in as an option at some point. Fantastic work either way. Quartz is truly one of the greatest skins available.
(2012-04-03, 01:21)ChipsAhoy Wrote: One small request: The watchlist is a great feature, but it's usefulness to me is limited by the layout, because the TV show titles are too small for me to read. It would be awesome if the size/position of the episode name and show title could be reversed, so that the show title was larger and the episode name was smaller.

This probably makes more sense. I'll try it out.
(2012-04-02, 22:14)mediumdry Wrote: One question though.. if the text is too long to fit in the text box on the info screen even, how do you read the part that is not in the first view if you don't have autoscrolling on? I haven't found a way to do that.

Well, if I didn't make a mistake plot should always scroll in Info screen. I'll check it out. I also have an idea for improved Info screen Wink

Quote:It's not possible in your skin, but I'd even love a media info view with a poster and instead of the text on the right, a row of banners.

Take a look at Xeebo. IIRC, it has that same layout. Not my cup of tea, though.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hi Pecinko,

Fantastic work on the skin - I've been looking for a decent ATV skin for ages.

One suggestion though - Any chance of having the FPS and CPU usage in the CodecInfo banner? Confluence has this as a fourth line. I noticed that Quartz only has 3 lines in this banner.

The FPS here is a useful guide when checking from broken timings with MKVs with DTS.

Cheers
Yes, I believe this can be added.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Excellent!

I hope you keep this skin simple and clean. It's the lack of complicated eye-candy that makes it so perfect.

It's the shame the new Apple TV interface has gone back a step.
(2012-04-03, 13:08)pecinko Wrote: Yes, I believe this can be added.

FantasticNod

I missed this info too...

Thanks again;-)

*updated* in my repository
--------------------------------------------------
Version 3.2.3

Make Music info really hide on "I"
Improved labels in Watchlist
Show 4th line with FPS in video codec info
My skins:

Amber
Quartz