• 25(current)
XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread)
Looks awesome and at this price i'll just buy one to find out how it runs.
Quick shout out to the devs, I love the way you support all these different devices ipad\windows\linux\pi there is something for everyone. Thanks for all your efforts and can't wait till i get my hands on this little beast.
Once there is a working Skype client for the ARM11 i am wondering how easy and cool it would be to have Skype within XBMC. that would make one nice easy unit for someone none-technical to use HTPC and video calling.
Once there is a working Skype client for the ARM11 i am wondering how easy and cool it would be to have Skype within XBMC. that would make one nice easy unit for someone none-technical to use HTPC and video calling.
Since Microsoft owns Skype now i doubt that Skype will ever be ported to arm Linux or updated on Linux at all.
i donnt think for one seccond that Skype will release one but there are enough dev's and api's to write one (says the man who knows nothing at all)
Can one of the developers with a beta board report on how well XBMC plays non-H264 video content using software-only playback (since the GPU is not enabled for other content types).
In particular - I am especially interested in MPEG2 (DVB-T in UK).
I can provide a sample recorded from UK TV if that would help.

Since the CPU is reported as being something like an old 900MHz PC then I think that software decoding and playback might just work but perhaps the extra load of copying the data over the ethernet/USB interface will make it too slow for good frame rates.
Paul Webster Wrote:Can one of the developers with a beta board report on how well XBMC plays non-H264 video content using software-only playback (since the GPU is not enabled for other content types).
In particular - I am especially interested in MPEG2 (DVB-T in UK).
I can provide a sample recorded from UK TV if that would help.

Since the CPU is reported as being something like an old 900MHz PC then I think that software decoding and playback might just work but perhaps the extra load of copying the data over the ethernet/USB interface will make it too slow for good frame rates.

it's fine
Thanks - that is good news.

I have another question ... has there been any progress on getting HDMI CEC support or is it still awaiting info from raspberrypi folks with an interface?
jhsrennie Wrote:I think the Raspberry Pi is great, and I was one of those who experienced a frustrating morning trying to order one, but outside the third world why would anyone use one in anger (as opposed to just for fun)?

The difference in cost between a RBPi and a Revo 3700 (in the UK) is about £150. Now that's not a trivial amount, but we're talking about something that's an important part of your life (well, my life anyway :-). The 3700 is **much** more powerful than the RBPi, and both are a lot cheaper than the average LCD TV.

Its pretty pathetic, but that difference for me is too much (even more so if i point out the Pi is a luxury for me at £30), and I would just continue to either do without, or continue doing what I currently do which is move a home server from one room to another as thats where my XBMC resides.

However theres also the issue of needs, if XBMC can play quite happily without complication on a £30 Pi, whats the point of buying a product thats (in comparison) overkill at 5x the price, even if you consider that to be not excessively priced. Its a good price, but its like all these school mums rolling up in Land Rovers, Nissan Pathfinders and whatnot to pick up little Timmy to do the 2 mile round trip through town.
Theres people who need them, and theres people who dont. Your paying a premium to buy them, and a premium to then run them... its easy to argue thats rather wasteful.

I'll hopefully get mine on Monday or thereabouts, and once im done playing with it its eventual use will see it'll being on 24/7, for a couple of hours a day for XBMC, and on avg 1 hours a week for web browsing (cue counter-arguement that thats wasteful :o it is, but it'd be more wasteful with less efficient hardware).
I dont need anything more than that, not for a secondary or light use location, and I suspect from a regular Joe consumer POV, most people buying a Pi wont need it for much more than that. For heavy usage it does make more sense buying a more competent/purpose built device, and thats what makes the Pi special. Regular folks should be able to try things and experiment with very capable hardware without the need for paying too much for it. Some might be able to spend a couple hundred on a fun project which may or may not work, I suspect plenty would get put off by that.
I'm hoping the raspberry pi will make the price of cubox and pandaboard come down to around $50 / $60
Or the raspberry pi will evolve to higher specs before the year is over
(2012-01-07, 16:44)gimli Wrote:
s7mx1 Wrote:My wild guess would be gstreamer based player which is extremely popular with embedded devices.

Your guess is wrong. OMX is used on the PI.

I would have thought you would have used gstreamer-omx with the Raspberry Pi. Do you have a separate implementation instead ?

relevant news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17547764
Agreed this would make a great addition to a satellite unit in my Kids room, soon my pretties, soon
Still nobody has got one? when do people get them?

how can a product get so much hype then not deliver?! classic example of how not to launch a product.
(2012-04-03, 17:55)krish_2k4 Wrote: Still nobody has got one? when do people get them?

how can a product get so much hype then not deliver?! classic example of how not to launch a product.

...but I bet a lot of people now want one although they had not heard of it before the launch!

• 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread)11