Browse to SMB shares broken
Taking what I posted in the comments section and putting here. Would really appreciate any help..

HELP! – Can’t browse to SMB folder locations to add sources on x64 windows machines where the folders are shared correctly and viewable through any other method. I am running other versions and all have worked fine. Any help here would be appreciated as I’m sure other will have this issue also.
*EDIT – By adding the server by IP manually, I was able to get the folders to show up, but it would not pick up any of the contents, so, empty library. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Guys,

Still having this issue and would really appreciate any help. I tried another install on a machine that has never had XBMC on it and got the same thing. I’m surprised no one else has had this issue. Win 7 x64 Ultimate….can’t browse to SMB network. Drives are definitely shared correctly and not password protected. Added share by IP, but it did not load any of the folder’s contents. All of my movies are in separate folders within each shared drive.

Thanks!
I think you need to post a full Debug Log if you want help.
http://pastebin.com/
Hardware. Asrock VisionX, Onkyo TX-SR508, LG 47", ReadyNAS Ultra 6 TB | Software. XBMC Frodo, Aeon Nox 4.0, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, SABnzbd
[trakt.tv]
I have had this issue on my newly built XBMC htpc, W7 64bit. Not sure if you have the same issue, it was a DNS problem for me.

flush DNS and re-register resolved my issue.

(2012-04-08, 09:09)Dj Freddy D Wrote: I have had this issue on my newly built XBMC htpc, W7 64bit. Not sure if you have the same issue, it was a DNS problem for me.

That sounds like it makes sense... You mean with ipconfig /flushdns, right?

*EDIT - Tried that with no luck. It does make sense that it is a DNS issue as I recently switch to OpenDNS.

Log of recent session here - http://pastebin.com/KYCXwjvZ
(2012-04-08, 14:56)noonan2678 Wrote:
(2012-04-08, 09:09)Dj Freddy D Wrote: I have had this issue on my newly built XBMC htpc, W7 64bit. Not sure if you have the same issue, it was a DNS problem for me.

That sounds like it makes sense... You mean with ipconfig /flushdns, right?

*EDIT - Tried that with no luck. It does make sense that it is a DNS issue as I recently switch to OpenDNS.

Log of recent session here - http://pastebin.com/KYCXwjvZ

Here is the full debug log after attempting to browse SMB:

http://pastebin.com/xhPF3SbF

This is what I did with ipconfig FYI:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /registerdns

Windows IP Configuration

Registration of the DNS resource records for all adapters of this computer has b
een initiated. Any errors will be reported in the Event Viewer in 15 minutes.

C:\Windows\system32>
bump - hoping someone can help with the provided info

thanks again
(2012-04-08, 04:13)noonan2678 Wrote: HELP! – Can’t browse to SMB folder locations to add sources on x64 windows machines where the folders are shared correctly and viewable through any other method. I am running other versions and all have worked fine. Any help here would be appreciated as I’m sure other will have this issue also.

When you say accessible via any other method, what do you mean? You mean you can click on start->run and enter \\servername\sharename and you can access the share?

If you open a command prompt and 'ping servername' do you get a response or does it time out? If it's working via IP address but not computer name, you definitely have a problem with DNS/Name resolution. Make sure the 'Computer Browser' and 'Network Location Awareness' services are started on all the W7 boxes first and we'll go from there (if you're not sure how to do that, click on the Start orb, type services, click on the icons that looks like a cog.. in the window that opens up, the rest is fairly self explanatory (check Computer Browser row and make sure it's says started)
(2012-04-09, 19:46)vexation Wrote:
(2012-04-08, 04:13)noonan2678 Wrote: HELP! – Can’t browse to SMB folder locations to add sources on x64 windows machines where the folders are shared correctly and viewable through any other method. I am running other versions and all have worked fine. Any help here would be appreciated as I’m sure other will have this issue also.

When you say accessible via any other method, what do you mean? You mean you can click on start->run and enter \\servername\sharename and you can access the share?

If you open a command prompt and 'ping servername' do you get a response or does it time out? If it's working via IP address but not computer name, you definitely have a problem with DNS/Name resolution. Make sure the 'Computer Browser' and 'Network Location Awareness' services are started on all the W7 boxes first and we'll go from there (if you're not sure how to do that, click on the Start orb, type services, click on the icons that looks like a cog.. in the window that opens up, the rest is fairly self explanatory (check Computer Browser row and make sure it's says started)

Thanks for the help. Yes, the UNC path works fine and the folders inside populate correctly. My file structure is like this: drive\movies\movie name\movie.mkv for each movie. This all worked fine on previous versions of XBMC. Both services that you mentioned are started and functioning correctly. I can ping the server fine.

I should also mention that it still doesn't work when running an instance of XBMC on the "server" machine that has the shares locally. I can select the drives from the local browser in "add files" but not through the shares. When I use an IP to navigate to the server, again from "add files," I see the shares, but it does not populate the movie folders, and ultimately, the movies themselves using that method.

I am at a loss...
Sounds like the OS side is fine then, if Windows can access the UNC, XBMC shouldn't have any issues.

To rule out any issues with your XBMC profile, care to try running XBMC in portable mode and then try adding a source? I think it's xbmc -p? Alternatively, you could temporarily rename the XBMC folder in %appdata% and then let XBMC create a new profile (can always delete the new profile and rename your original again if it doesn't help)

(i'm thinking specifically about the passwords.xml file, wondering whether XBMC is using an SMB user/pass when it shouldn't be)
(2012-04-09, 20:06)vexation Wrote: Sounds like the OS side is fine then, if Windows can access the UNC, XBMC shouldn't have any issues.

To rule out any issues with your XBMC profile, care to try running XBMC in portable mode and then try adding a source? I think it's xbmc -p? Alternatively, you could temporarily rename the XBMC folder in %appdata% and then let XBMC create a new profile (can always delete the new profile and rename your original again if it doesn't help)

(i'm thinking specifically about the passwords.xml file, wondering whether XBMC is using an SMB user/pass when it shouldn't be)

I thought it could be something to do with passwords too. I made sure that password protected sharing on the Windows side was off. I just did a fresh install of XBMC and had this issue...will try portable mode now and let you know.

Thanks again!

Just tried both options, portable, and renamed. Confirmed a new profile was created, but same issue. I am totally stumped. Can you see anything in the logs?
(2012-04-09, 20:41)noonan2678 Wrote: I thought it could be something to do with passwords too. I made sure that password protected sharing on the Windows side was off. I just did a fresh install of XBMC and had this issue...will try portable mode now and let you know.

A proper fresh install of XBMC should have had a fresh profile anyway and you've already tried on another computer so I doubt portable mode will make any difference Sad very very strange. Even more annoying that I can't see anything SMB related in your debug log. Has this ever worked for you? (were you a Dharma / Beta / RC user originally?)

I just find it very odd that you can access the path in Windows fine but not in XBMC, i've never had that combination before.. every time I've had issues I've not been able to access the UNC via Explorer either.
I am using OpenDNS by the way, but not sure that would matter. I did switch to it recently...
(2012-04-09, 20:47)vexation Wrote:
(2012-04-09, 20:41)noonan2678 Wrote: I thought it could be something to do with passwords too. I made sure that password protected sharing on the Windows side was off. I just did a fresh install of XBMC and had this issue...will try portable mode now and let you know.

A proper fresh install of XBMC should have had a fresh profile anyway and you've already tried on another computer so I doubt portable mode will make any difference Sad very very strange. Even more annoying that I can't see anything SMB related in your debug log. Has this ever worked for you? (were you a Dharma / Beta / RC user originally?)

I just find it very odd that you can access the path in Windows fine but not in XBMC, i've never had that combination before.. every time I've had issues I've not been able to access the UNC via Explorer either.

Yes, been using XBMC for years without issue. The DNS suggestion from another user makes sense, but I did clear it and renew it on the PCs in question. Also, I recently put a new router in...an E4200v2. Again, don't think that would matter, but those are the only things that have changed. My previous instances of XBMC work fine.
try making a completely new source folder, throw a couple of movies in it. share it and see if XBMC sees that one.
I had this same issue. The browse for SMB shares just hangs seemingly forever.

I just entered in the shares manually, and it worked. But kind of a PITA as I remember the "browse" option being nice and quick before.

Same scenario. New windows 7 64 Bit install, new Eden release. Everything works fine in Windows, no other networking issues. I have many programs that use share names and they all work fine.
(2012-04-10, 01:34)mrfatboy Wrote: try making a completely new source folder, throw a couple of movies in it. share it and see if XBMC sees that one.

That didn't do it...thanks though.
(2012-04-10, 02:00)vinistois Wrote: I had this same issue. The browse for SMB shares just hangs seemingly forever.

I just entered in the shares manually, and it worked. But kind of a PITA as I remember the "browse" option being nice and quick before.

Same scenario. New windows 7 64 Bit install, new Eden release. Everything works fine in Windows, no other networking issues. I have many programs that use share names and they all work fine.

Huh, so I had tried this on a PC other than the server itself, and it did not work. It would find the share, but would not display the folders under the movie folder or the movies themselves. Just tried it on my server PC and it did work. Will try on the other PCs soon and will let you know the results. Still, I can't understand why it wouldn't work as it is designed. This is just with Eden....

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Browse to SMB shares broken1