AMD A8 3870k heatsink
Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice quiet heatsink for the A8? The stock heatsink is terrible, far too noisy. I have the Silverstone ML03B case which is pretty small and I'm hoping I can find a good one to fit in the case that is more quiet. Thanks!
Scythe SCBSK-2100 120mm Sleeve BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler

What ram do you have? and motherboard?
ASRock MB-A75M Socket FM1/ AMD A75 FCH/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ Micro ATX Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-4GBXL
im afraid your ram heatsinks are too tall,,,
will interfere with the Scythe SCBSK-2100 cooler.
(2012-04-12, 16:12)tman12 Wrote: ASRock MB-A75M Socket FM1/ AMD A75 FCH/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ Micro ATX Motherboard

As far as CPU cooler and case fans, it might be loud at first. After you installed all the drivers and software, you can go into bios to configure it. Since it is AsRock mobo, you can set CPU to "Cool ‘n’ Quiet" in Bios Advance tab and set the CPU operating temperature to 50 degrees in Bios Hardware/Health Monitor tab....and you can set both CPU and case fans to level 5......you can monitor the operating temperature. It should be quieter.....

I'm recommending update the AsRock Bios to 1.7 version from here- download
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Great! I will give that a try once I get home from work this evening. I also have another question, would there be a significant benefit to adding the 6670 1GB card to this build? I am fairly happy with the performance I'm getting, but I just want it to be better. For example, I don't want to use DSplayer but when I use the stock player with DXVA turned on I get green artifacts for very highbitrate x264 movies. When I have DXVA turned off I don't get any artifacts but it almost needs to buffer - sound plays perfect but video struggles for a few secs and then catches up. I'm on wired network streaming from ReadyNas unit. I'm just wondering if adding the 6670 and using crossfire with the onboard 6650 would significantly improve my performance. Thanks for responding so quickly, you guys have been great on this forum.
i wonder whats wrong...
you shouldnt have green artifacts with DXVA2 turned on!
you shouldnt need a separate GPU card!
update your GPU drivers, make sure u use latest
I am on the very latest graphics drivers for the 6650 - not sure if I have the GPU drivers installed. I know I did when I first built the PC but I had to reinstall Windows so I might have forgotten to install the AMD chipset drivers. I sure hope that is the problem because this is so frustrating! I thought this build was going to be a beast - hopefully it still will be!
(2012-04-12, 16:17)eskro Wrote: im afraid your ram heatsinks are too tall,,,
will interfere with the Scythe SCBSK-2100 cooler.

Not to hijack the thread, but will that cooler work with the same mobo and this ram?

http://www.Newegg.com/Product/Product.as...20-104-231
yes lath19, Scythe SCBSK-2100 works with any Kingston Ram to my knowledge.
except special edition versions like --> KHX1600C9D3X1K2/8GX
(2012-04-12, 16:58)tman12 Wrote: I am on the very latest graphics drivers for the 6650 - not sure if I have the GPU drivers installed. I know I did when I first built the PC but I had to reinstall Windows so I might have forgotten to install the AMD chipset drivers. I sure hope that is the problem because this is so frustrating! I thought this build was going to be a beast - hopefully it still will be!
In AMD CCC main page, you can click on "Information", you'll see driver rev. If it is 12.3 rev, it should be the latest driver.....if it is not 12.3 rev, you can update it from here- Graphics Drivers & Software

(2012-04-12, 16:33)tman12 Wrote: Great! I will give that a try once I get home from work this evening. I also have another question, would there be a significant benefit to adding the 6670 1GB card to this build? I am fairly happy with the performance I'm getting, but I just want it to be better. For example, I don't want to use DSplayer but when I use the stock player with DXVA turned on I get green artifacts for very highbitrate x264 movies. When I have DXVA turned off I don't get any artifacts but it almost needs to buffer - sound plays perfect but video struggles for a few secs and then catches up. I'm on wired network streaming from ReadyNas unit. I'm just wondering if adding the 6670 and using crossfire with the onboard 6650 would significantly improve my performance. Thanks for responding so quickly, you guys have been great on this forum.
If you want more graphic power, you can certainly do that. The nice thing about AMD APU, you can crossfire it and it'll work like a single GPU but more powerful graphic with crossfire.....here is a list of discrete GPU's that can be used to crossfire with APU iGPU.....AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics!

Before I make a decision to put in another card I want to make sure I have done everything possible to see if it can work with the setup I currently have. I really don't understand what could be the problem. I have done every suggestion I can find, unfortunately because of the 3870k being fairly new I haven't seen many posts about it. I really don't want to use an external player or the DSplayer (built in) either. It is really easy to test the settings after I make changes because I know it happens with specific codecs so I just play the same couple of files and every single time no matter what I changed if DXVA2 is turned on I get about 2 secs of green artifacts during resume. When it is off I don't get artifacts at all and it is pretty good playback, its just that some very very high bitrate files play terribly. I am on the very latest GPU drivers and Graphics drivers for my setup and I have everything possible turned off except for GPU and ITC acceleratoin and enforce smooth playback. I even tried turning all of that off, alternating one of one on, and still 2 secs of green artifacts with DXVA2 turned on. Are there limitations when using the stock player with XBMC? I know that the files are good and my network is fine - I can play them perfectly on other devices. Are there any test tools or anything for issues like this?
@tman12-

Since it is a powerful CPU, can you try to set power option in Windows 7 control panel to "High Performance".........if that still doesn't work, you might want to give AMD technical support team a call- Global Technical Support. Since it is a new product on the market, they might know it better than any of us......
Does the version of XBMC matter all that much in terms of performance. I ask because I really love PseudoTV and it seems to work a lot better in the latest Dharma build so I switched to that version since I don't really need any of the new features Eden offers. I think I'm probably jumping around too much - I need to first get my files playing properly and then worry about cool addons. Basically, do I lose any performance (DXVA) when choosing Dharma over Eden? I wouldn't think so because this build should be powerful enough no matter what but I just wanted to make sure I'm giving all the info I can.
(2012-04-13, 17:06)tman12 Wrote: Does the version of XBMC matter all that much in terms of performance. I ask because I really love PseudoTV and it seems to work a lot better in the latest Dharma build so I switched to that version since I don't really need any of the new features Eden offers. I think I'm probably jumping around too much - I need to first get my files playing properly and then worry about cool addons. Basically, do I lose any performance (DXVA) when choosing Dharma over Eden? I wouldn't think so because this build should be powerful enough no matter what but I just wanted to make sure I'm giving all the info I can.
Both versions should works the same way, but the latest stable version included more options.....if you like Dharma, you can stick with it!

Is the artifacts issue gone with Dharma?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD A8 3870k heatsink0