Build ordered!
Copied off Beer's build pretty much exactly.

Now is the time to tell me if I got something wrong so I can cancel. lol Wink

Going to use the stock fan unless someone convinces me the scythe is worth the trouble.

AMD A6-3500
ASRock Socket FM1/AMD A75 ITX
Antec ISK 300-65
Noah Company MediaGate GP-IR02BK Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate MCE Remote Control, 2 Channel IR
60gig OCZ Agility 3 SSD
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB)
90W Power
WoW! man I did not know my build would bring this much attention....

Why the OCZ SSD? why not Patriot Torx 2 they make a 64 gig... oh why 60 gig?

Everything else looks good!!!
(2012-04-20, 18:32)Seppuku Wrote: Going to use the stock fan unless someone convinces me the scythe is worth the trouble.
You'll be find with the stock fan. You can set CPU to "Cool ‘n’ Quiet" in AsRock Bios Advance tab and set the CPU operating temperature to 50 degrees in Bios Hardware/Health Monitor tab....and you set both CPU and case fan to level 5.......it'll be very quiet.

If you want to bootup faster, you can try AsRock instant bootup option- Instant Boot ver:1.29. You'll be surprise by how quick it bootup.....

Everything else is fine....you'll enjoy it.......Nod

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
When you have SSD you will boot at 20Sec you won't need the Instant Boot....(well my Patriot does.) The instant boot will keep your power brick on... I would not like that.
I would consider using a Crucial M4 instead of the OCZ. Less chance of a headache down the road ...

(2012-04-20, 19:12)Beer40oz Wrote: When you have SSD you will boot at 20Sec you won't need the Instant Boot....(well my Patriot does.) The instant boot will keep your power brick on... I would not like that.
It'll be fine....I use it for more than a year now and I never have any problem with AsRock instant boot option so far.......

Check these out-

Asrock Instant Boot Up On My Desk Top PC

Instant Boot on ASRock N7AD-SLI Motherboards

Went with the OCZ because it was 60 bucks for 60 gigs. Seemed like a good deal, and I can swap it into other machines and its big enough to be useful down the line.
Hey Beer,

Is the little keyboard you link in your build worth it, is the trackpad for the mouse use-able? I was planning on just doing a ghetto usb keyboard for now if I need to dump out into a web browser or something.

I'm assuming the remote plus asrock mobo allows me to power on and off with the remote and navigate all of xbmc.

(2012-04-20, 19:57)Seppuku Wrote: Went with the OCZ because it was 60 bucks for 60 gigs. Seemed like a good deal, and I can swap it into other machines and its big enough to be useful down the line.

I can give you 3 reasons why the M4 is a better value.

1) The M4 seems to be more reliable compared to the OCZ because of the controller.

2) http://www.overclock.net/t/1240697/ocz-a...mes-doa/10

3) http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/426?vs=402

That's just how I tend to look at it ........ everyone is different. I think it's worth the extra money.

Seppuku, the keyboard your talking about
was suggested by me to Beer40oz
and is also listed in my HTPC guide!

I personally own it and it rocks!
you can definitely use the trackpad for the mouse controls!
its mint!

you just have to give you like 1 week to get used to it
as its really small!!

I can't argue with that, but I already went a little overbudget so I'd be sad to keep inching the price up. I think I'm going to ignorantly forge ahead and hope for the best. Thanks for the info and heads up though, if the OCZ fails me I'll look for the M4 and learn an expensive lesson Smile

I'm also a total noob, anyone have a link that will give me a guide to installing win7 from a usb key? Never done it before.
(2012-04-20, 21:01)eskro Wrote: Seppuku, the keyboard your talking about
was suggested by me to Beer40oz
and is also listed in my HTPC guide!

I personally own it and it rocks!
you can definitely use the trackpad for the mouse controls!
its mint!

you just have to give you like 1 week to get used to it
as its really small!!

Can I use the remote to turn the machine on/off or do I need that keyboard?

it might work, but its not bullet proof.

u can get ASROCK CIR RECEIVER only if u want, that'll work!

if not, keyboard will work also!

installing win7 using USB is really easy...

you need to have a copy of win7 in ISO format

and u need a a freeware app called --> WintoBootic

Smile
Alright, convinced. Bought the keyboard. I'm a full on replica build at this point Wink
u wont regret it Seppuku! FTW!!

http://www.wintobootic.com/release/WiNToBootic_v1.2.zip

(2012-04-20, 21:02)Seppuku Wrote: Thanks for the info and heads up though, if the OCZ fails me I'll look for the M4 and learn an expensive lesson Smile
Don't worry.....I installed one OCZ SSD more than a year ago. It work flawless so far.....

(2012-04-20, 21:02)Seppuku Wrote: I can't argue with that, but I already went a little overbudget so I'd be sad to keep inching the price up. I think I'm going to ignorantly forge ahead and hope for the best. Thanks for the info and heads up though, if the OCZ fails me I'll look for the M4 and learn an expensive lesson Smile

I'm also a total noob, anyone have a link that will give me a guide to installing win7 from a usb key? Never done it before.[u]

Its easy.
If you dont have a iso of your windows 7 CD you will need to make one. I use the program imgburn....its a free program and can be found at cnet.com.
Make a iso of the win 7 and save it to your computer.

Get the tool to install Win 7 to a usb drive here:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msst...vd_dwnTool

Plug your usb into your computer, click on the microsoft tool you downloaded, and follow the prompts to put the iso of win 7 onto the usb key.

Once that is done you can plug the key into your new HTPC and then hit the power button. Your HTPC should power up and start prompting you with the steps to install Win 7 to your SSD.

Any questions just post them here.
I see Eskro posted a different tool to do the same thing.
Im sure either will work just fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Build ordered!2