• 58(current)
[RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC
(2012-04-20, 01:41)crimsonfury Wrote: It has been mentioned many times even on last page...

I have seen a couple of posts making a similar comment, but have not seen a clear answer.

Netflix is a very important player in the online video streaming world and XBMC is a very important player in the front-end world. I would have thought the integration would be better.

Anyway, I'll keep trying to get this to work and use MCE for Netflix until I am successful.
I asked the same thing. What I'm trying to get working is wmc straight to Netflix launched from inside xbmc!
(2012-04-19, 21:23)lestat1977uk Wrote: Hi all,

been searching through the forums but can't get a definitive answer, can you use XBMCflicks with a UK Netflix account yet? or is this still being worked on?

Sorry if this has been asked already i just wanted an update.

Keep up the good work as always Wink

As far as I know this works only with US accounts, and possibly Canadian. To be honest there probably isn't alot that needs to be done to work with other accounts. I would assume that all the Netflix APIs work the same way, the difference is in selecting the appropriate servers to connect to and download the data.

Until Fekker gets back, or this is taken under the wing of another developer, I don't see support being added for UK. If you are desperate, start digging into the python and taking a look at the URLs being used. It may be as simple as replacing a few strings :/
.peace out.
(2012-04-20, 00:56)Zellig Wrote: Hi, I am happy to see that there is lot's of activity on this plugin.

But here is a (maybe really stupid) question: How come that there isn't some sort of "native" plugin, rather than using the IE interface?

The reason I ask is because every time I try, I have weird IE-related issues (yes, navigation is one of them, but for instance, after I play something, there is no way to get back to XBMC, or the whole thing crashes, etc.).

How come XBMC went this rout, instead of doing something like MCE, Boxee, or even Plex (although the Plex plugin doesn't work with SilverLight 5)?

(2012-04-20, 03:38)Zellig Wrote:
(2012-04-20, 01:41)crimsonfury Wrote: It has been mentioned many times even on last page...

I have seen a couple of posts making a similar comment, but have not seen a clear answer.

Netflix is a very important player in the online video streaming world and XBMC is a very important player in the front-end world. I would have thought the integration would be better.

Anyway, I'll keep trying to get this to work and use MCE for Netflix until I am successful.

See my post here it pretty much tells the story.

As it is Plex support for Netflix is problematic (see recent threads like this one), Boxee only provides support on their Boxee Box (not on PC version), and WMC does nothing more than provide a glorified Silverlight wrapper (via an IE shell as well...same way XBMC does it). Granted the browsing of titles on WMC looks a lot sharper, but that's when you get when you PAY developers to work on it (AFAIK that plugin was a joint venture between MS and Netflix, so they had a lot of insight into how to put it together well).

XBMC team would work to create an integrated plugin if it wasn't for the DRM issues from Netflix. As it is, the only way to watch on PC is via Netflix's Silverlight plugin. So basically it comes down to writing two pieces:

1 - A browser to see the video content
2 - A clean launcher/wrapper to the Silverlight plugin

XBMCFlicks does #1 pretty well. It looks as good as any other plugin for XBMC. There are still a few bugs with parsing movie information or downloading covers, etc...but I don't think there is much more to ask for on this front.

#2 is a little lacking....most of the development time went into #1. I'm sure someones else could write another launcher independent of XBMCFlicks and we could still use the playercorefactory.xml to launch from XBMCFlix into that 3rd party wrapper. But, that is not an easy proposition as it isn't just standard XBMC add-on fare, it would be a standalone app. The XBMC development team isn't going write that, and they are also not going to try to integrate Silverlight directly into XBMC because of licensing/open source issues.

With the exception of the few small bugs left, there is actually not much else that you could want for Netflix on XBMC. One of the biggest issues was lack of remote control, but I think I have remedied that for the most part with my XBMCFlix-o-mate.

BTW - did you know that with the $500+ dollars and countless hours you have spent on your XBMC installation there is nothing you can do to get 5.1 Dolby Digital Sound from it? This is true for any PC application, even the native Netflix browser player. You can get better Netflix playback from your Xbox 360, PS3 or $50 roku then you will ever be able to get (in the foreseeable future) from your PC. Netflix themselves aren't very serious about playback on PCs....why should anyone else be? Until that changes PC users are the red-headed step-children of Netflix...so get used to it!
(2012-04-20, 03:57)crimsonfury Wrote: I asked the same thing. What I'm trying to get working is wmc straight to Netflix launched from inside xbmc!

If what you are trying to do is launch WMC's Netflix app from within XBMC, that is very easy to do.

See here for the info.

I will warn you though that although the Netflix interface in WMC looks slick, and natively supports a remote control it has some problems.

For one, it's episode handling is horrible. If you are watching a show with multiple seasons (hundreds of episodes) you have to scroll through them to get to the one you want each time you go in, and sometimes between each episode.

But, the worst thing (that caused me to move off WMC to XBMC for Netflix) is the crashing issues. Many many people report that anywhere from 5-50% of the time WMC will lockup on the very last frame of a show. This requires you to forcibly kill the ehshell.exe (WMC main process). If you are in the middle of a season of shows, this now mean killing the app, relaunching, and then browsing all the way back down to the episode you want (i.e. WMC does not automatically place you at the next episode in the series). Here is one of the many threads on the Internets about it.

If you are lucky enough to not have these issues, and you don't mind the horrible episode handling, then launching WMC from within Netflix is certainly an option.

.peace out.
(2012-04-19, 22:23)lordjubblydave Wrote: I have been struggling with this for a couple of hours.
Need some help please.
Running XBMC 10.1 osx

Here is my
log http://freetexthost.com/4wsrtdptgh

I'm not an OSX guy...but I don't see anything in there at this point that shows XBMCFlix misbehaving.
Make sure you enable debug logging in the XBMCFlix plugin (may also want to enable Verbose user info...but if you do make sure you strip any token info out of your log).
Then delete your XBMC.log file to start fresh.
Load up XBMC, go into XBMCFlix and take a look at your queue.

Then post back with that log and what exactly the problem you are having is (can't open the plugin? get an error? can't view queue? etc).
.peace out.
I hope some on can help my one stumbling block with XBMC and XBMCFlicks is that the TV show seasons are not “grouping” so if a show has 5 I would like to select the season then the episode. Am I doing something wrong. All the shows list the SxEx at the beginning.

Also it would be nice is if the watched shows would display as watched.

I am wondering if the Netflix app for units like the boxee, and the WDLive could be emulated on XBMC
Maybe that is my problem.
I am in the UK.
No matter what i try, everything seems to be fine, i log in and associate my account, then when i select my recommendations or any of the other headings i get taken to a blank screen.
So maybe it does not work in the UK yet. Sad
Anyway here is my new log as you asked.
http://freetexthost.com/6ow2l302og

I did not include the Verbose user info, sorry. i am not really sure what i needed to delete if i did.

(2012-04-20, 06:43)bengalih Wrote:
(2012-04-19, 21:23)lestat1977uk Wrote: Hi all,

been searching through the forums but can't get a definitive answer, can you use XBMCflicks with a UK Netflix account yet? or is this still being worked on?

Sorry if this has been asked already i just wanted an update.

Keep up the good work as always Wink

As far as I know this works only with US accounts, and possibly Canadian. To be honest there probably isn't alot that needs to be done to work with other accounts. I would assume that all the Netflix APIs work the same way, the difference is in selecting the appropriate servers to connect to and download the data.

Until Fekker gets back, or this is taken under the wing of another developer, I don't see support being added for UK. If you are desperate, start digging into the python and taking a look at the URLs being used. It may be as simple as replacing a few strings :/

(2012-04-20, 07:15)bengalih Wrote:
(2012-04-19, 22:23)lordjubblydave Wrote: I have been struggling with this for a couple of hours.
Need some help please.
Running XBMC 10.1 osx

Here is my
log http://freetexthost.com/4wsrtdptgh

I'm not an OSX guy...but I don't see anything in there at this point that shows XBMCFlix misbehaving.
Make sure you enable debug logging in the XBMCFlix plugin (may also want to enable Verbose user info...but if you do make sure you strip any token info out of your log).
Then delete your XBMC.log file to start fresh.
Load up XBMC, go into XBMCFlix and take a look at your queue.

Then post back with that log and what exactly the problem you are having is (can't open the plugin? get an error? can't view queue? etc).

(2012-04-20, 15:57)biljol Wrote: I hope some on can help my one stumbling block with XBMC and XBMCFlicks is that the TV show seasons are not “grouping” so if a show has 5 I would like to select the season then the episode. Am I doing something wrong. All the shows list the SxEx at the beginning.

Also it would be nice is if the watched shows would display as watched.

I am wondering if the Netflix app for units like the boxee, and the WDLive could be emulated on XBMC

I don't think this is (easily) possible anymore since Netflix changed its season grouping.

This is due to the newer model in the Netflix API which you can read about here. To summarize:

Quote:Netflix is moving toward treating a television series as a unified object — a single title — rather than as a set of seasons or discs. The set-of-seasons or set-of-discs model is more of an artifact of the way DVDs are published and marketed, whereas the series-as-a-singular-thing is closer to the natural way of how subscribers think of a television series. You can already see this change emerging on the main Netflix site, and you may also note some changes in the underlying data to support this change.

As far as I know the only way to get them to display as separate seasons would be to parse out the "Ssn 2" or "Season 5". These two formats seem to be the most common, but the issue is there is not always consistency...and Netflix may change the way series are titled (which should technically not affect the API, but will affect the way XBMCFlicks parses out the XML stream).

I know that the Netflix website groups them by season, but none of the other apps I have used (XBMCFlicks, Wii, Vizio, WMC, Roku) group them by season...they all show just one list. So, while technically it would be possible, I don't think it would be worth the work as it would be fragile. And, since it doesn't seem that any of the other apps provide this functionality, I don't think we will see this (ever) in XBMCFlicks. Perhaps if/when Netflix enhances their API to provide this data....but that's not in the future for now...
(2012-04-20, 16:22)lordjubblydave Wrote: Maybe that is my problem.
I am in the UK.
No matter what i try, everything seems to be fine, i log in and associate my account, then when i select my recommendations or any of the other headings i get taken to a blank screen.
So maybe it does not work in the UK yet. Sad
Anyway here is my new log as you asked.
http://freetexthost.com/6ow2l302og

I did not include the Verbose user info, sorry. i am not really sure what i needed to delete if i did.

That link didn't work for me...but no bother...if you are in the UK then I am pretty sure that's the reason.
I honestly don't know what the differences are (and there is virtually no way for me to test not being in the UK).
However, take a look at the posts in this thread dealing with Canada issues...like this one. Looking through the code a bit and finding out what URLs are being used on your end (a packet capture tool like Wireshark may help).

If you get the log file up, i'll take another look, but not sure I would find anything.
.peace out.
I would agree but if you look at the apps that are in the boxee and WDTV you will see that they are grouped. In fact both of those units use the exact same “App”. You can also group them in XBMC now by using a filter of S2 that will show only the season 2 episodes.

WMC used to do seasons but for some when the new version came out they took it out. In fact that was when I started looking for an alternative.

If you think about it as filters you could just add another step ie. Select the show if “Seasons” option is on then display list. “User” would then select the Season XBMCFlix would apply filter.

Reading the API “Episode titles will include information about the season number and episode number for each episode” they say that they are standardizing on the naming convention for seasons and episodes. Also since XBMC already does this for local TV media and I know that the naming convention can be different for those, XBMC works fine. It should not be that hard to do in XBMCFlixs.

But I am no programmer.
(2012-04-21, 05:33)biljol Wrote: I would agree but if you look at the apps that are in the boxee and WDTV you will see that they are grouped. In fact both of those units use the exact same “App”. You can also group them in XBMC now by using a filter of S2 that will show only the season 2 episodes.

WMC used to do seasons but for some when the new version came out they took it out. In fact that was when I started looking for an alternative.

I didn't say it was impossible (in fact I said the opposite)...and the options you give are pretty much identical to what I already described ("parsing out the season numbers").

But you happen to mention two products (Boxee and WDTV) which seem to be the current outliers. WMC, XBMC, Roku, Several TV Apps,Wii, and I think XBOX and PS3) do not show them by season. I can only assume that those two companies see the value of investing time to rewrite their code every time Netflix makes changes to their API or title format.

(2012-04-21, 05:33)biljol Wrote: If you think about it as filters you could just add another step ie. Select the show if “Seasons” option is on then display list. “User” would then select the Season XBMCFlix would apply filter.

Reading the API “Episode titles will include information about the season number and episode number for each episode” they say that they are standardizing on the naming convention for seasons and episodes. Also since XBMC already does this for local TV media and I know that the naming convention can be different for those, XBMC works fine

I don't see anywhere in that API page that they are "standardizing" simply that they are including information about the season. AFAIK there are still subtle variations in some titles. Does this make it impossible to code for? No...but it does make it harder.

(2012-04-21, 05:33)biljol Wrote: . It should not be that hard to do in XBMCFlixs.
But I am no programmer.

So...you aren't willing to do it..or even learn...even though it's not that hard? But you will come here and complain about it? :/

Realize that XBMC is an open source project, these guys aren't directly paid for what they do. Also realize that the XBMC team itself has no current desire to integrate Netflix (for reasons mentioned in previous posts).

Also realize that XBMCFlicks is an add-on, not even developed by the XBMC team, but by another 3rd party developer who probably has even less time to devote. Also realize that he hasn't even been active in these forums for months.

I agree that ALL of the options EVERYONE wants would be nice to have...but unless someone is going to invest the time.....
I would attempt some more fixes, but unfortunately I am not a Python coder, and even if I was, the main work of this script is in using "regular expressions" which is a really weak area for me coding-wise. I suspect even the developer has some challenges with RegEx (even though he is no dobut versed in them) because most of the current issues with the script are do to parsing strings improperly with RegEx.
.peace out.
Hey guys. New here and have a problem. I think this XBMC app is amazing, however when trying to authorize the XBMCFlicks app I'm getting nowhere.

It opens up "Index of /Applications/FireFox.app/" in Chrome, and then opens FireFox to the Google Home Page.

I'm on OSX 10.7.3 using 11.0 Eden and version 1.0.22 (the "spudsdude" build) of the XBMC plug-in that I got from github in zip format because the plug-in wasn't showing in the regular add-ons section.

I'm located in the USA, and I do have the OSX option selected in the configuration of the plug-in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:

Ok this post by fekker a couple pages back seemed to have helped me:

(2010-12-14, 01:44)fekker Wrote: FAQ

1. Get nexflix working on your machine natively - this will ensure that you already have siverlight and anything else netflix might want to get working.

2. Turn on Plugin Debugging
Go to Videos / Add-Ons
Right Click XBMC Flicks
Select Add-On Settings
Under Debugging, turn on Both options
Back out to the Add-Ons menu

3. Start XBMC Flicks

At this point your bowser should kick off asking you the account to authorise for netflix usage - do so. If that doenst kick off, you can pull the url from the xbmc.log file in a line that looks like "Authorize user access here: https://api-user.netflix.com/..."

However when I did this, I had to leave this window open in FF and then re-do the authorization from XBMC. It THEN gave me the authorize screen. So get your url form that xbmc.log, enter it into FF, authorize and leave it open, go back into XBMC, authorize from there AGAIN...and then it works for OSX.
(2012-04-22, 12:18)psionicsin Wrote: Hey guys. New here and have a problem. I think this XBMC app is amazing, however when trying to authorize the XBMCFlicks app I'm getting nowhere.
However when I did this, I had to leave this window open in FF and then re-do the authorization from XBMC. It THEN gave me the authorize screen. So get your url form that xbmc.log, enter it into FF, authorize and leave it open, go back into XBMC, authorize from there AGAIN...and then it works for OSX.

Kudos for figuring it out yourself....
Yeah the authorization seems a little buggy (perhaps moreso on OSX). The suggestions I put a few posts back (in clearing out some of the add-on data) may help.

Even on Windows with IE I have sometimes had to run the authorization process a couple of times to get it to "take".

Ideally it should put your authorization info in the userinfo.txt file so you don't need to hardcode it, but I haven't had enough time to really understand the code.

I do think this problem is more an EDEN thing...as I suggested it may be because some library locations may not always be accessible the way the script expects them to be. I didn't seem to have this issue on Dharma....and you should be able to reuse your userinfo.txt file from a Dharma install.
.peace out.
(2012-04-22, 18:34)bengalih Wrote: Kudos for figuring it out yourself....
Yeah the authorization seems a little buggy (perhaps moreso on OSX). The suggestions I put a few posts back (in clearing out some of the add-on data) may help.

Even on Windows with IE I have sometimes had to run the authorization process a couple of times to get it to "take".

Ideally it should put your authorization info in the userinfo.txt file so you don't need to hardcode it, but I haven't had enough time to really understand the code.

I do think this problem is more an EDEN thing...as I suggested it may be because some library locations may not always be accessible the way the script expects them to be. I didn't seem to have this issue on Dharma....and you should be able to reuse your userinfo.txt file from a Dharma install.

I seem to have spoken too soon. All of my information and queue is there, but when I go to play something it doesn't play. What's happening now?
(2012-04-22, 18:48)psionicsin Wrote: I seem to have spoken too soon. All of my information and queue is there, but when I go to play something it doesn't play. What's happening now?

No idea...but first step would be a debug log...
.peace out.
(2012-04-22, 19:23)bengalih Wrote: No idea...but first step would be a debug log...

http://pastebin.com/KGncmFVZ
  • 58(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC16