• 3(current)
[RELEASE] XBMCFlix-o-mate
(2012-04-25, 05:09)kevev Wrote: Thank You for considering this Bengalih. Yes, adjusting the volume slider in the Netflix window would be the best solution. But if I use the Android XBMC remote, how would this be controlled? I could only think of it reading the XBMC volume before changing it, and match for Netflix slider. Then when killing Netflix window reset the XBMC volume to the original value. Can you think of an easier way to do this while using a remote app that utilizes the HTTP API?

AFAIK the XBMC android remote can ONLY control XBMC. XBMC and anything that controls it directly is irrelevant to the conversation with XBMCFlix-o-mate. XBMCFlix-o-mate is a 100% stand alone program from both XBMC and XBMCFlicks. The only interaction it has is in monitoring for the Netflix window (opened via XBMCFlicks) and then sending automated mouse-clicks via the defined hotkeys.

If you understand this, then you will know that you cannot control XBMCFlicks-o-mate using the android remote...as the android remote cannot send the hotkeys that XBMCFlick-o-mate needs. If I am missing something here, please let me know - otherwise I need to be sure you understand the above before moving on....

IF I were to implement volume control within Netflix it would simply be to control the slider up and down to the limits within Netflix. This means that the volume will be relative to whatever your system volume is at.

I see no need to try to sync the volume of Netflix of XBMC to the system volume. There are almost no apps that work this way. I would say it is against best practice for an app to modify the system's volume as that could be obtrusive to other applications on the system. You should set your system volume to the maximum volume that you would ever want to hear (ever) and then use volume control within each application to set your preferred level.

(2012-04-25, 05:09)kevev Wrote: Also:
Windows 7 SP1 32bit with IE 9.0.8112.16421
Java 6 Update 31
Sikuli X-1.0rc3 (r905)

The "Full Screen" button never seems to get selected automatically. Pressing "F" does not do full screen until the video is clicked and then "F" is pressed. It looks like the video does not have focus as expected.

I'm not exactly sure what issue you are describing, as "F" is the manual method of bringing Netflix into full screen and not the method XBMCFlix-o-mate uses.

What method are you using to send your hotkeys to XBMCFlix-o-mate? Are you simply pressing them on the keyboard, or do you have a remote setup to send the hotkeys? Do all the other hotkeys work for you (subtitle on/off, next/back episode, etc?).
.peace out.
(2012-04-25, 05:06)Claire193 Wrote: Thanks...I'm going to test now with a space and hopefully implement a fix...I have already incorporated the architecture check.

Please post back once you have used it a bit and let me know how it has been working for you.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Did you have a question/point to make Claire? It looks like you simple quoted something from me above (while leaving out the quotes tags).... ? :/
.peace out.
(2012-04-25, 16:45)bengalih Wrote: I'm not exactly sure what issue you are describing, as "F" is the manual method of bringing Netflix into full screen and not the method XBMCFlix-o-mate uses.

What method are you using to send your hotkeys to XBMCFlix-o-mate? Are you simply pressing them on the keyboard, or do you have a remote setup to send the hotkeys? Do all the other hotkeys work for you (subtitle on/off, next/back episode, etc?).

I am sorry for the confusion. All of the hotkeys work. I am under the impression that the NetFlix window should go fullscreen automatically when playing begins. But as I do not know the programing language Sikuli, I do not understand the .html file code structure very well. If the window does not automatically go full screen, is there a way to make this happen automatically?

Would this still allow the hotkeys be entered? Or does full screen disable this because the buttons are not available? This would not be an issue for me since the XBMC remote can't send hotkeys anyways. Smile
(2012-04-25, 17:25)kevev Wrote:
(2012-04-25, 16:45)bengalih Wrote: I'm not exactly sure what issue you are describing, as "F" is the manual method of bringing Netflix into full screen and not the method XBMCFlix-o-mate uses.

I am sorry for the confusion. All of the hotkeys work. I am under the impression that the NetFlix window should go fullscreen automatically when playing begins. But as I do not know the programing language Sikuli, I do not understand the .html file code structure very well. If the window does not automatically go full screen, is there a way to make this happen automatically?

Would this still allow the hotkeys be entered? Or does full screen disable this because the buttons are not available? This would not be an issue for me since the XBMC remote can't send hotkeys anyways. Smile

Ok...I still want to be sure you are actually using the XBMCFLix-o-mate hotkeys...the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT ones... because the normal Netflix hotkeys will still work for you.

For example:
If you just type "F" in the Netflix Window it will go Full Screen
If you hit "ESC" it will bring you out of Full Screen

The above are the built-in NETFLIX hotkeys and will work with nothing other than the plain old Netflix browser window.

Now if you are using XBMCFlix-o-mate, you should be able to use CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F and toggle full screen on and off.

All of the XBMCFlix-o-mate hotkeys should work from a full screen or a non fullscreen, as long as Netflix has focus.

So, before I go further with your auto full-screen issue, please confirm for me that you can do the following:
Use the following hotkeys from within a Full Screen AND non-Full Screen video:
CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F (toggle full screen)
CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+T (toggle subtitles)
CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+N (go next episode)

If those are not working for you, please use the debug copy (in the /debug folder) and send the output.
.peace out.
(2012-04-25, 21:19)bengalih Wrote: Ok...I still want to be sure you are actually using the XBMCFLix-o-mate hotkeys...the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT ones... because the normal Netflix hotkeys will still work for you.

For example:
If you just type "F" in the Netflix Window it will go Full Screen
If you hit "ESC" it will bring you out of Full Screen

The above are the built-in NETFLIX hotkeys and will work with nothing other than the plain old Netflix browser window.

Now if you are using XBMCFlix-o-mate, you should be able to use CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F and toggle full screen on and off.

All of the XBMCFlix-o-mate hotkeys should work from a full screen or a non fullscreen, as long as Netflix has focus.

So, before I go further with your auto full-screen issue, please confirm for me that you can do the following:
Use the following hotkeys from within a Full Screen AND non-Full Screen video:
CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F (toggle full screen)
CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+T (toggle subtitles)
CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+N (go next episode)

If those are not working for you, please use the debug copy (in the /debug folder) and send the output.

Those three hotkeys work as expected. I am just wanting the video to automatically go full screen when loaded. The reason why is because I dont have a keyboard, just the Android XBMC remote. Can this be configured in the script?
(2012-04-25, 22:46)kevev Wrote: Those three hotkeys work as expected. I am just wanting the video to automatically go full screen when loaded. The reason why is because I dont have a keyboard, just the Android XBMC remote. Can this be configured in the script?

OK - I wanted to be 100% sure that some of the functions of the script were working, now that you have confirmed that, let's move on...

The auto Full Screen option IS in the script already and should work under the following scenarios:

1) You advance to a next episode using the XBMCFlix-o-mate hotkey (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+N)
2) You go back to a previous episode using the XBMCFlix-o-mate hotkey (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+B)
3) The first launch of a video from within XBMC (via XBMCFlicks)

Now let me explain a bit further how this works, so you can see why your system might not be fitting the criteria.

First, it is important to understand that the way this script works is by monitoring for particular elements on the screen. This is VERY resource intensive, so we don't monitor 100% of the time, only when particular events are triggered.

When XBMCFlix-o-mate is launched it awaits a browser window to open for Netflix. This has only been tested with IE, but should work with other browsers. When it sees the Netflix window open the script waits 8 seconds for the NETFLIX logo and loading screen to appear (white on red background). Once it sees this logo it waits a maximum of 60 seconds for this logo to disappear. This would trigger the end of a video load and the beginning of playback. Once it sees the logo disappear, it should then look for the full screen button and click it.

At this point, the event will only trigger again when using the hotkeys (#1 and #2 above or the toggle Fullscreen hotkey) - since that should be the only way you will be navigating episodes without going back to XBMC. When you go back to XBMC a flag gets reset so that this auto full-screen triggers again when Netflix is open.

So let's review with an example of the order of events which should be happening:

1) XBMCFlix-o-mate is started (in whatever way you choose)
2) XBMC is opened
3) XBMCFlicks add-on is started
4) User navigates to a video within XBMCFlicks and clicks to start that video
5) XBMCFlicks launches a maximized (kiosked) IE window for playback with the title "Netflix" (you can't see this title, since the window is maximized, but the work Netflix is contained in the title)
6) XBMCFlix-o-mate detects that the IE Netflix window is in the foreground and begins waiting for the big white NETFLIX logo for 8 seconds. If the logo isn't detected within the timeout, auto full-screen will fail.
7) Once XBMCFlix-o-mate sees the NETFLIX logo, it will wait up to 60 seconds for the logo to disappear (once again, signaling video playback). If the logo doesn't detected within the timeout, auto full-screen will fail.
8) Once the logo disappears, XBMCFlix-o-mate should click on the full-screen button to bring the video into full-screen.

At this point the video will remain in full screen unless the user toggles it out with the hotkey. If the user chooses to change episodes, the process above will repeat from step #6, bringing the movie into full screen when the logo disappears.

9) User is done watching video(s) and presses CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+Q hotkey to exit Netflix and return to XBMC. At this point a flag gets reset in the code so that when Step #4 is again initiated by the user the process can continue from that point.

So, if auto full screen is not working for you, I suspect you are doing something outside the ordinary sequence of events mentioned above.

Since you don't have a keyboard, how are you terminating Netflix when you are done watching?

I must close by saying that unless you plan to use a keyboard to enter the hotkeys directly, or you plan to map the hotkeys to remote keys via another utility, then XBMCFlix-o-mate is probably not the program for you.
.peace out.
(2012-04-25, 23:21)bengalih Wrote: OK - I wanted to be 100% sure that some of the functions of the script were working, now that you have confirmed that, let's move on...

The auto Full Screen option IS in the script already and should work under the following scenarios:

1) You advance to a next episode using the XBMCFlix-o-mate hotkey (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+N)
2) You go back to a previous episode using the XBMCFlix-o-mate hotkey (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+B)
3) The first launch of a video from within XBMC (via XBMCFlicks)

Now let me explain a bit further how this works, so you can see why your system might not be fitting the criteria.

First, it is important to understand that the way this script works is by monitoring for particular elements on the screen. This is VERY resource intensive, so we don't monitor 100% of the time, only when particular events are triggered.

When XBMCFlix-o-mate is launched it awaits a browser window to open for Netflix. This has only been tested with IE, but should work with other browsers. When it sees the Netflix window open the script waits 8 seconds for the NETFLIX logo and loading screen to appear (white on red background). Once it sees this logo it waits a maximum of 60 seconds for this logo to disappear. This would trigger the end of a video load and the beginning of playback. Once it sees the logo disappear, it should then look for the full screen button and click it.

At this point, the event will only trigger again when using the hotkeys (#1 and #2 above or the toggle Fullscreen hotkey) - since that should be the only way you will be navigating episodes without going back to XBMC. When you go back to XBMC a flag gets reset so that this auto full-screen triggers again when Netflix is open.

So let's review with an example of the order of events which should be happening:

1) XBMCFlix-o-mate is started (in whatever way you choose)
2) XBMC is opened
3) XBMCFlicks add-on is started
4) User navigates to a video within XBMCFlicks and clicks to start that video
5) XBMCFlicks launches a maximized (kiosked) IE window for playback with the title "Netflix" (you can't see this title, since the window is maximized, but the work Netflix is contained in the title)
6) XBMCFlix-o-mate detects that the IE Netflix window is in the foreground and begins waiting for the big white NETFLIX logo for 8 seconds. If the logo isn't detected within the timeout, auto full-screen will fail.
7) Once XBMCFlix-o-mate sees the NETFLIX logo, it will wait up to 60 seconds for the logo to disappear (once again, signaling video playback). If the logo doesn't detected within the timeout, auto full-screen will fail.
8) Once the logo disappears, XBMCFlix-o-mate should click on the full-screen button to bring the video into full-screen.

At this point the video will remain in full screen unless the user toggles it out with the hotkey. If the user chooses to change episodes, the process above will repeat from step #6, bringing the movie into full screen when the logo disappears.

9) User is done watching video(s) and presses CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+Q hotkey to exit Netflix and return to XBMC. At this point a flag gets reset in the code so that when Step #4 is again initiated by the user the process can continue from that point.

So, if auto full screen is not working for you, I suspect you are doing something outside the ordinary sequence of events mentioned above.

Since you don't have a keyboard, how are you terminating Netflix when you are done watching?

I must close by saying that unless you plan to use a keyboard to enter the hotkeys directly, or you plan to map the hotkeys to remote keys via another utility, then XBMCFlix-o-mate is probably not the program for you.

It seems that the issue is between step 7 & 8. It may be a timing issue. I do notice that the two left NetFlix buttons apear first then when playing begins the rest of the controls apear, along with the full screen button. When running the debug version it says "Going fullscreen!" Or something like that in the output when the video starts. How long between detecting the logo disappearing and clicking the full screen button? Maybe a sleep period is needed for my system.

To terminate the Netflix window I press the stop button on the Android remote. I believe it sends this http API command(but I am not sure as I have not enabled any debugging):

http://xbox/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=Stop()

This causes the window to close and XBMC is maximized as expected.
(2012-04-25, 23:44)kevev Wrote: It seems that the issue is between step 7 & 8. It may be a timing issue. I do notice that the two left NetFlix buttons apear first then when playing begins the rest of the controls apear, along with the full screen button. When running the debug version it says "Going fullscreen!" Or something like that in the output when the video starts. How long between detecting the logo disappearing and clicking the full screen button? Maybe a sleep period is needed for my system.

To terminate the Netflix window I press the stop button on the Android remote. I believe it sends this http API command(but I am not sure as I have not enabled any debugging):

http://xbox/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=Stop()

This causes the window to close and XBMC is maximized as expected.

The picture below should be what your screen looks like while the Netflix logo is up. Immediately once the video is done loading this should disappear and you should see all the buttons.

If your experience differs from this I will need more explanation and, preferably screen shots.

As far as the "http://xbox/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=Stop()" is concerned...that is very interesting because according to the Wiki that stop command does the following:

Quote:Stops the currently playing media. If a slideshow and audio is active only the slideshow is stopped.

I have no idea how that is controlling an external IE window. Are you sure that the IE window is actually being closed down and XBMC is not just being brought to the foreground?

Regardless, this will only work for you the VERY FIRST time you launch Netflix from XBMC once XBMCFlix-o-mate is started, since you are never sending the Q hotkey to reinitialize the flag.

BTW do the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+N and +B keys work to navigate episodes? Do they bring your window into full screen once they have finished? If not, then I think I will definitely need a screen shot.

UPDATE: OK I have confirmed that you are correct in that the Stop() command does stop/close the IE window. I can only assume that XBMC is intelligent enough to know that the browser registered with the playercorefactory.xml for playback of a stream should actually be closed when the stop command is set.

However I still think your testing may be off since this will 100% only work for you on the first launch. You should exit XBMC and XBMCFlix-o-mate and then restart both. My guess is that the video WILL go auto full-screen on your first video launch, but never again after that.

2ND UPDATE: Well, good news....I found a way to easily modify the script so that it will work without the Q hotkey combination to be set (don't know why I didn't see this sooner!). In effect, it will do what you need - simply monitor for Netflix launch and then bring into full screen every time. We do however need to figure out why yours isn't working. So if you confirm that even on the FIRST launch after starting the programs it still doesn't work, then send me whatever additional info you can (Screen shots, the debug output, etc). I don't want to release the version with the updates if it isn't working for you even at first launch...as something else is wrong there....
.peace out.

Ya, I know. I am a big Sponge Bob fan. So is my daughter. :p

I was using XBMC as my shell, but switched back to explorer to eliminate any issues. The hotkeys work when explorer is the shell. When xbmc is the shell I have to click in the video to grab focus, then hotkeys work. Could you make the script grab focus of the window after launching it. This should help for when XBMC is the shell.

I have rebooted multiple times and even manually restarted XBMC & XBMCFlix-o-mate.

Here is the debug output:

Script Variables:
$scriptsDir: C:\script
$SikuliDir:
$JavaDir:
$netFlixTogglePlayHotKey: {SPACE}
$netFlixFF: >
$netFlixRewind: <
$netFlixTerminate: Q
$XBMCFlixomateExit: X
$netFlixLaunchHotKey: O
$SikuliDir c:\Program Files\Sikuli X
run(C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /k Java -jar sikuli-script.jar "C:\script\XBMCFl
ix-o-mate.sikuli",c:\Program Files\Sikuli X)[info] Sikuli vision engine loaded.
[info] Windows utilities loaded.
[info] VDictProxy loaded.
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT O
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT F
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT N
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT B
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT T
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT Q
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT X
debug: in netFlixLaunch (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+O)
AutoITdebug: keys sent: C+A+S+O
AutoITdebug: newNFLaunchFlag set to: 0
debug: loading movie
debug: loaded movie
debug: full screen action!
AutoITdebug: Received C+A+S+Q for Netflix termination
AutoITdebug: closed iexplore.exe
AutoITdebug: newNFLaunchFlag set to: 1

I did the ctrl+alt+shift+Q to quit.

That is great that you found a way to make it fullscreen automatically. I can't wait to test it. Smile
(2012-04-26, 07:55)kevev Wrote: Ya, I know. I am a big Sponge Bob fan. So is my daughter. :p

Those images look normal to me...

(2012-04-26, 07:55)kevev Wrote: I was using XBMC as my shell, but switched back to explorer to eliminate any issues. The hotkeys work when explorer is the shell. When xbmc is the shell I have to click in the video to grab focus, then hotkeys work. Could you make the script grab focus of the window after launching it. This should help for when XBMC is the shell.

Well technically IE is always the shell (or whatever browser you configure to open Netflix). I assume you just mean you were launching IE from XBMCFlicks vs just using IE outside of XBMC?

Grabbing the window shouldn't make a difference. The hotkeys are sent to Sikuli which is running in the background (and thus never in focus). The window they are acting on does not need be in focus, it only needs to be VISIBLE as the script works via image recognition. It *may* be possible that the NETFLIX hotkeys (F, SPACE, etc) might not work until you click the window - but it almost certainly shouldn't effect the XBMCFlix-o-mate keys.

I have once again tested this launching via XBMC set in true full screen and didn't have any issue with the hotkeys or it going auto full-screen. That is not to say I don't believe you are having an issue...but I suspect something else is going on with your system.

Can you give me a clear confirmation of whether or not the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+N and +B keys work for you?
Do they advance/go back an episode?
Do they automatically bring your new episode full screen?
Do they work whether or not you were in full-screen to begin with or not?
Do they work from both XBMC and stand-alone IE?

To answer the above you will need to do at least 8 tests. For each hotkey:
via XBMC with your video in Full Screen
via XBMC with your video in non Full Screen
via IE with your video in Full Screen
via IE with your video in non Full Screen

Technically if you just test for one of the hotkeys, I suspect the other will work - however the N hotkey is a bit more complex in its logic,

(2012-04-26, 07:55)kevev Wrote: Here is the debug output:

Script Variables:
$scriptsDir: C:\script
$SikuliDir:
$JavaDir:
$netFlixTogglePlayHotKey: {SPACE}
$netFlixFF: >
$netFlixRewind: <
$netFlixTerminate: Q
$XBMCFlixomateExit: X
$netFlixLaunchHotKey: O
$SikuliDir c:\Program Files\Sikuli X
run(C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /k Java -jar sikuli-script.jar "C:\script\XBMCFl
ix-o-mate.sikuli",c:\Program Files\Sikuli X)[info] Sikuli vision engine loaded.
[info] Windows utilities loaded.
[info] VDictProxy loaded.
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT O
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT F
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT N
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT B
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT T
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT Q
[info] add hotkey: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT X
debug: in netFlixLaunch (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+O)
AutoITdebug: keys sent: C+A+S+O
AutoITdebug: newNFLaunchFlag set to: 0
debug: loading movie
debug: loaded movie
debug: full screen action!
AutoITdebug: Received C+A+S+Q for Netflix termination
AutoITdebug: newNFLaunchFlag set to: 1

That output looks pretty good...though I realized I have a small error in my debug output in this routine that is causing me to not gather all the info.
The fact that you are getting the "loading movie" and "loaded movie" means for sure that the script is detecting the Netflix logo and its disappearance.
Unfortunately the "full screen action" is where the bug is at and I can't be 100% sure what is happening yet.

Other questions in addition to the above tests:

1) What resolution do you run at?
2) What browser do you use in the playercorefactory.xml for XBMCFlicks? It should be IE if you never made changes.
3) Do you have other add-ons? Would it be possible to test by disabling them? (easiest way is to move all other plugins other than XBMCFlicks out of your C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons directory). I don't think this could be the reason, but it is worth a shot.

If, after the above I'm still at a loss, I may send you some special debug copies to gather more info.
I've only had confirmation that 3 other people besides us are using this so far - but no one else seems to have these issues....so we will need to research what's going on...
.peace out.
Wow!. Between -o-mate and the updated version of XBMCFlix, it looks like XBMC is getting a fully functioning Netflix plugin! Thanks!

The one big "feature" that would make it perfect is to implement remote control capability out of the box.

It seems the MS MCE Remote scheme is widely used and it controlls XBMC perfectly -- is there a way/plan to integrate MCE Remote support for it into the plugin?
(2012-04-26, 21:20)Zellig Wrote: Wow!. Between -o-mate and the updated version of XBMCFlix, it looks like XBMC is getting a fully functioning Netflix plugin! Thanks!

The one big "feature" that would make it perfect is to implement remote control capability out of the box.

It seems the MS MCE Remote scheme is widely used and it controlls XBMC perfectly -- is there a way/plan to integrate MCE Remote support for it into the plugin?

Short answer - no. And it's been asked and answered many times in these forums.

XBMC will never fully integrate Netflix unless Netflix provides the tools to allow the open source community to do this. Netflix is too concerned with DRM on their streams and currently the ONLY way to use Netflix on a PC is via the official Netflix Silverlight player through a browser.

Since that is the case, the only solutions would be to have a way to not only control IE (or whatever browser) with a remote control but also to control the Silverlight plugin. Not only that, but the Silverlight plugin does not expose control IDs for most of the controls, so really the ONLY way to automate access to them is via the method I have used - Image Recognition. Technically you can do it just based on coordinates, but it would not be as reliable (though it may possibly be quicker).

This question is really dead and buried and there won't be anything that changes in the near future. As soon as you being to see other players able to stream Netflix outside of the Silverlight plugin (via a browser wrapper) then you can ask that questions again. If you are on these forums you most likely don't have anything setup "out of the box" - getting all the features you want out of an HTPC is still a hacker's work.

Netflix may surprise us with a stand-alone player for the PC, that gives us the 5.1 support and remote control capability that is sorely needed. But, chances are if you are serious about your Netflix, it's easier and more functional to buy a $50 roku (or use your 360) then to try to get it going seamlessly with less features on a PC.
.peace out.
(2012-04-26, 22:22)bengalih Wrote: Short answer - no. And it's been asked and answered many times in these forums....

This question is really dead and buried and there won't be anything that changes in the near future. As soon as you being to see other players able to stream Netflix outside of the Silverlight plugin (via a browser wrapper) then you can ask that questions again. If you are on these forums you most likely don't have anything setup "out of the box" - getting all the features you want out of an HTPC is still a hacker's work. ...

Thanks for the reply, bengalih.

The reason I asked is because the MCE Remote functions work with both the Plex Netflix plugin (which works with SilverLight 4, but it has not been updated to 5), as well as with the Media Portal Netflix plugin, both the stable and the Alpha versions.

I assume that these other projects don't have any better access to Netfix, so was hoping that whatever they do, can be done in XBMC as well.
(2012-04-26, 22:39)Zellig Wrote:
(2012-04-26, 22:22)bengalih Wrote: Short answer - no. And it's been asked and answered many times in these forums....

This question is really dead and buried and there won't be anything that changes in the near future. As soon as you being to see other players able to stream Netflix outside of the Silverlight plugin (via a browser wrapper) then you can ask that questions again. If you are on these forums you most likely don't have anything setup "out of the box" - getting all the features you want out of an HTPC is still a hacker's work. ...

Thanks for the reply, bengalih.

The reason I asked is because the MCE Remote functions work with both the Plex Netflix plugin (which works with SilverLight 4, but it has not been updated to 5), as well as with the Media Portal Netflix plugin, both the stable and the Alpha versions.

I assume that these other projects don't have any better access to Netfix, so was hoping that whatever they do, can be done in XBMC as well.

This really belongs in the XBMCFlicks thread (or in the XBMC developer thread) and I had asked that this talk not be brought into this thread. But, as I already reinforced your behavior by answering you once, I'll continue on.

I believe that Plex works by re-streaming all your media. That is you set up a Plex server and have it play your media there and stream it out to your clients. This has a lot of benefits when it comes to playing video on multiple devices (like mobiles, etc)...but it can be slow and the quality can suffer. I remember watching a youtube video on some guys showing off Plex on some internet show, and they were raving about it - the whole time the video kept buffering...
I am assuming that the Plex server is logging into netflix and pulling the stream down and re-encoding out to the client. At that point, it is like VLC in a sense and whatever stream their client is then picking up can be controlled natively. I am not 100% sure how they do this, and if it is even kosher as far as Netflix is concerned. Suffice it to say the entire architecture is different from XBMC.

I don't know anything about Media Portal with the exception of the link I just looked at that you sent. This seems nothing more to me then a hack by a 3rd party trying to provide some additional functionality to a lacking product. The thread is riddled with reports of people having problems getting it to even enumerate the queue, and of the remote not working. Additionally, the only remote commands he supports are those already built into the Silverlight plugin. That's because it is trivial to send an "F" to Netflix to tell it to go full screen...

AFAIK however there exists not a single stand-alone silverlight player for Windows (or Mac, Linux I believe). Why is this? Look - it would be trivial for someone with the coding knowledge to write a better wrapper for the browser. Basically a Windows application that opened a browser inside of it and also supported remote commands which it would send to the browser running inside (this seems to me what most likely the Media Portal one is). But they still wouldn't be able to automate the remaining Silverlight controls unless they used image recognition (or possibly cooridnate mapping) as I do with XBMCFlix-o-mate.

I hear everyone bitching about how bad Netflix is on XBMC, but when I go research it and try to implement it on the other popular Media Centers out there it is just as bad or worse. Getting 90% of full functionality still requires multiple apps and workarounds.

Technically, XBMC team could write a better "wrapper" but it would be totally against the current code design of XBMC. XBMC doesn't "shell out" to external apps. It strives to incorporate everything inside and by using open source code. That is a big design factor - and something that I know at least Plex doesn't do.
.peace out.
I'm having some kind of difficulties with this addon. I have not yet binded anything to Eventghost since the keyboard shortcuts aren't working right now.
Only thing that does work is the pause ja exit (Q and space). And even they won't work unless I click to the browser screen first. Auto fullscreen doesn't work, neither does the fullscreen shortcut. I tried the debug version but it didn't show any problems, atleast anything I could notice.

I followed the instructions carefully, tried both x64 and x86 .exes, tried installing Autoit with 64bit libraries and 32bit libraries, with no success or changes whatsoever.

Hope you will find some workaround on this, I'm really looking forward for this addon.

I'm using Win7 64bit with xbmc 11.0 eden.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] XBMCFlix-o-mate5