• 4(current)
The "A6-Pack" Build
only driver u need is the ALL in ONE from ASROCK website.
What ram did you get... What would be the largest height memory that would fit? Any idea what the dimensions are of the crucial ballistix?
(2012-05-01, 05:00)eskro Wrote: only driver u need is the ALL in ONE from ASROCK website.

Thanks ... I had a feeling that was all I needed but still downloaded and installed some of the other stuff.

Two other issues the group can hopefully help me out with!

1. I'm having is heat, the sucker was flying up to 60 deg celsius as I was installing Windows updates. Had to increase the CPU Cooler fan to 4 or 5 to get it down to the low to mid 50's. Will likely have to put the stock case fan back in as well. It's under my 60" Plasma, which, as I found out while sitting up close to it for a while yesterday pushes out a ton of heat. I "may" also try cleaning off the thermal paste and reapplying a small dab in the center, it's possible I had put too much the first time around.

2. For some reason the BIOS screen (pressing F2 on startup) doesn't show up entirely on my 60" plasma. Was fine on the 32" LCD I originally booted up on, but now is incredibly zoomed and I only see about 1/3 or less of the pages so can't see what I'm adjusting. Any ideas how to fix that?

Regarding the RAM for the above poster, this is what I used...

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.a...1869DT1TX0

If you look closely, you'll see it has some sort of "stylish" ridge added to the top of the RAM. I'm literally about 2 or 3mm max from the pipes on the Shuriken with one of the sticks. It can't be removed without removing the Shuriken so is a bit of a pain. I just couldn't find the Kingston RAM under $50 up here shipped and this was on sale for $35 or whatever it was fully shipped so I went for it.

Oh, still haven't recieved my Unisen keyboard as of yet...
(2012-05-01, 13:50)Sdpbc Wrote:
(2012-05-01, 05:00)eskro Wrote: only driver u need is the ALL in ONE from ASROCK website.

Thanks ... I had a feeling that was all I needed but still downloaded and installed some of the other stuff.
Aside from updating AsRock drivers and bios, I'm recommending to update the latest AMD driver too- AMD Driver Autodetect....

For the heat issue, have you select "Cool N Quiet" option in bios?

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-05-01, 16:02)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-01, 13:50)Sdpbc Wrote:

Aside from updating AsRock drivers and bios, I'm recommending to update the latest AMD driver too- AMD Driver Autodetect....

For the heat issue, have you select "Cool N Quiet" option in bios?

Don't think I've been able to select that option as I couldn't see it in the BIOS due to the other issue I'm having of not being able to see the full screen for some reason. I'll likely bring the box back upstairs to see if when I plug it into the 32" LCD I can see the full BIOS screens again and make the adjustment there until I figure out why I can't see all the options. It's almost like the aspect ratio/resolution is off, but I didn't think any selections in the OS would impact how the BIOS screen shows up which is pre-OS.
use your official TV remote,
and play with the aspect ration options...

on my SAMSUNG TV, i had to choose FiT SCREEN,

on other TV's like LG, i think its SCAN or JUST SCAN....

what this does is it magically makes the HTPC image fit perfectly corner to corner Smile
(2012-05-01, 17:48)eskro Wrote: use your official TV remote,
and play with the aspect ration options...

on my SAMSUNG TV, i had to choose FiT SCREEN,

on other TV's like LG, i think its SCAN or JUST SCAN....

what this does is it magically makes the HTPC image fit perfectly corner to corner Smile

Just Scan for me.... scans exactly what your output is.... so basically a true 1080x1920 ..... i had the trouble when my image (menu) did not fit right..... I thought it was my HTPC... but no its the tv......
(2012-05-01, 11:58)nicgord Wrote: What ram did you get... What would be the largest height memory that would fit? Any idea what the dimensions are of the crucial ballistix?

BTW, measured the original 1GB Samsung stick I was using (can't recall the exact model) while waiting for the Ballistix to come in. The Samsung stick is 30mm tall (or wide ... whatever), and was a much better fit as you could slide it into the slot that is under the SCSK-1100. The Ballistix is probably another 5mm taller than the Samsung, and the SCSK-1100 interferes with the ability to put the stick closest to the CPU in or pull it out.

You literally have to put the stick in before you put the cooler on.

Stick to the HyperX Kingston series recco'd by Eskro and I think you'll be fine (I couldn't find it anywhere under $50 and decided to give the Ballistix a shot at under $40).

Beer - can you remove the stick closest to the Big Shuriken without needing to remove the CPU cooler?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

BTW, ended up reinstalling Win 7 OS last night as I originally forgot to put the BIOS in ACHI mode before installing it the first time (not sure how big a differences this makes versus just switching from IDE to ACHI after the fact ... but decided what the heck). Didn't clean off the thermal paste to reapply as I didn't have the proper alcohol on hand to do it.

Put the case fan back in and set it to 1, cool and quiet was already on in the BIOS, and 50 degrees as the target. Upstairs under my 32" LCD (which gives off next to no heat versus a lot of heat that the Plasma gives off), the CPU was constant around 42-46 degrees.

Beer - no friggin clue why you're seeing 27-29degrees up to 36 degrees and I'm getting close to 50 with the same settings. Unless the Big Shuriken is making that much of a difference. I doubt that that is the case though, as I even bumped the fan settings to 4 and didn't get below 40.

So something else is at play here.
(2012-05-02, 16:14)Sdpbc Wrote: Put the case fan back in and set it to 1, cool and quiet was already on in the BIOS, and 50 degrees as the target. Upstairs under my 32" LCD (which gives off next to no heat versus a lot of heat that the Plasma gives off), the CPU was constant around 42-46 degrees.

Beer - no friggin clue why you're seeing 27-29degrees up to 36 degrees and I'm getting close to 50 with the same settings. Unless the Big Shuriken is making that much of a difference. I doubt that that is the case though, as I even bumped the fan settings to 4 and didn't get below 40.

So something else is at play here.
The environment (room temp, place HTPC inside cabinet can have higher temp than place it outside, etc) have something to do with the overall temp too. 40-46 deg is nothing to worry about though….
Thanks ... was just curious why it would be upwards of 10 degrees difference given the room I was trying it out in is more like 70-75 degrees vs his 80+!

At what temp should one start to be concerned? 70?
Sdpbc no way I can change ram with the Big Shuriken 2100

On the 1100 I get a steady 31C idle on my lian li but that is a little bigger box inside (but the only fan for exhaust is in the rear and no other fans are running on it).

Yes I am getting the low temps with the BIG shuriken...... and that is in a ROOM that is 80 to 88 F hot.....
That is why now I am a big fan of the BIG SHURIKEN.....
The lower the temps the slower the FAN rpm will go.........

wow your 1100 giving you temps to 50c.... I wonder why ..... they should be lower.....
(2012-05-02, 17:20)Sdpbc Wrote: Thanks ... was just curious why it would be upwards of 10 degrees difference given the room I was trying it out in is more like 70-75 degrees vs his 80+!

At what temp should one start to be concerned? 70?
Do you have your A6-3500 in the cabinet underneath the TV or out in the open (I believe that Beer have his out in the open)? If it is in the cabinet, it'll run hotter.....

50°C or below is nothing to worry about, and the maximum operating temperature for A6-3500 is 70.9°C......

It's out in the open, not closed up in a cabinet. Tried it in two different rooms that certainly aren't anywhere near 80-88F hot (Beer - how the heck are you watching movies in a room that hot!?).

Will have to try HWMonitor Pro to see if it gives different results from the Asrock tuning.

While the Big Shuriken "may" give more airflow, the reality is if I bump the fan up to level 3 or 4 it should provide much more air flow IMO than the Big Shuriken at level 1, so something seems remiss.
(2012-05-02, 19:51)Sdpbc Wrote: It's out in the open, not closed up in a cabinet. Tried it in two different rooms that certainly aren't anywhere near 80-88F hot (Beer - how the heck are you watching movies in a room that hot!?).

Will have to try HWMonitor Pro to see if it gives different results from the Asrock tuning.

While the Big Shuriken "may" give more airflow, the reality is if I bump the fan up to level 3 or 4 it should provide much more air flow IMO than the Big Shuriken at level 1, so something seems remiss.

Well it was the day it was hell of hot!

Really don't know what else to say.... why you are getting them temps....
Now because of this I may just use another 2100 in my next A6-PACK.....

But yes the 1100 does its job too.....

Maybe you could get the 2100 and test out if you like Smile
(2012-05-02, 17:20)Sdpbc Wrote: At what temp should one start to be concerned? 70?

80 degree
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The "A6-Pack" Build0