Let's discuss WAF!
..or Wife Acceptance Factor for those who don't know. Of course this is essentially the same if you're making a HTPC for your parents or non-geeky people.

I recently tried the SAF skin (cant remember the exact name), and it works pretty nice, especially when hiding the view menu, so that it's only possible to scroll up and down in menus.
I also use a PS3eye as a array microphone, and run VoxCommando trained for my wife's voice, so that she can issue voice commands to focus xbmc, start movies, search for music etc. Works pretty well.

Does anybody else have any good tips? Skin modifications? OS setup?
KAF [Kid Acceptance Factor] would be more appropriate. My 3 and 5yr olds (now 4 and 6) can and have been able to use the ATV2's in their rooms from day one.

I have auto-login profiles setup to filter only G-rated movies (they don't have access to programs, TV Shows, settings, etc...) and weather. They use the weather because they turn on their TV's every morning to check the weather and see what they should wear based on temp/rain/etc...

While I'm not ready to jump into another ex-wife, the girlfriend has been able to pick up the remote from the first time she saw it and easily navigate through looking for shows and all that. Once I showed her how to use sickbeard/couchpotato, she was on top for putting her girly HGTV seasons in and catching up on her shows... which cost me another pair of 2Tb drives to accommodate...
WAF was a big thing when planning out my system. This is the main reason I went with the ATV2's and the Harmony remotes. Turning on and off the various components had to be simple for her. The Harmony remotes keep her happy. Even my mom can use it when she comes over.
Interesting! I'm in the process now of setting up a budget system for my parents, went with an asrock ion with w7, because they want to be able to use it as a regular computer too. Trying the included mce remote now, binding a key to focus or open xbmc seems to work fine.

I am however interested in testing the waf factor of a Linux setup, probably next up on my list.

The Android Remote-Control makes XBMC acceptable to my wife, and easy for unversed guests even, and easy for our 4-year old to work too. It's the only control interface we use.

The android app does have a few weaknesses: it's hard to turn on subtitles or change audio track, and it errors/crashes often, but even so it is a god-sent.
(2012-05-02, 07:02)drok Wrote: The Android Remote-Control makes XBMC acceptable to my wife, and easy for unversed guests even, and easy for our 4-year old to work too. It's the only control interface we use.

The android app does have a few weaknesses: it's hard to turn on subtitles or change audio track, and it errors/crashes often, but even so it is a god-sent.

Forgot to mention that, but it's the exact same for my wife. If she struggles with the dinovo mini keyboard that I use, she just pulls out the android remote.

(2012-05-01, 16:53)adytum Wrote: ..or Wife Acceptance Factor for those who don't know. Of course this is essentially the same if you're making a HTPC for your parents or non-geeky people.

I recently tried the SAF skin (cant remember the exact name), and it works pretty nice, especially when hiding the view menu, so that it's only possible to scroll up and down in menus.
adytum,

it's called xTV-SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) and thank you, have tried very hard to make it easy for the wife and kids to use. The hide the views menu is available in most skins, but is usually called Kiosk mode, so my skin is not unique in that respect.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
Would be interesting to hear the only female XBMC developer DanielaE speaking about the WAF Big Grin
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
(2012-05-02, 09:39)wyrm Wrote:
(2012-05-01, 16:53)adytum Wrote: ..or Wife Acceptance Factor for those who don't know. Of course this is essentially the same if you're making a HTPC for your parents or non-geeky people.

adytum,

it's called xTV-SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) and thank you, have tried very hard to make it easy for the wife and kids to use. The hide the views menu is available in most skins, but is usually called Kiosk mode, so my skin is not unique in that respect.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

Aha, thank you sir! I know about kiosk mode, and previously used neon with it, but later switched to your skin.

Lol, mad max, might not be a very good expression, but the term waf is nominal Angel

(2012-05-03, 20:06)adytum Wrote:
(2012-05-02, 09:39)wyrm Wrote: adytum,

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

Aha, thank you sir! I know about kiosk mode, and previously used neon with it, but later switched to your skin.

Lol, mad max, might not be a very good expression, but the term waf is nominal Angel
adytum,

Rofl I'm a stay at home dad, so I prefer Spouse as it's gender neutral, thus my skins name (Spouse Acceptance Factor).

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
(2012-05-03, 20:06)adytum Wrote: Lol, mad max, might not be a very good expression, but the term waf is nominal Angel
My mom would be proud...I'm in a literature forum Big Grin
Well, I think this comes from my German side, as we always have the article Confused

- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Let's discuss WAF!0