1st Time Computer Builder, Group 3 I Guess
Hi everyone,

Been goofing with computers forever, but I have finally decided to build one from scratch for the first time. I'm looking for an HTPC that will be hooked up via HDMI to my receiver then on to my LCD. I have 5.1 surround sound. I primarily play games on my 360 and PS3 and use my PS3 for BluRay. I already have a DVR built into my cable box. I really only have two main functions for my computer; surfing the web and listening to my vast music collection. Honestly, I don't need much computer to do that, but I have put together a list of components that I am looking at that will easily suffice my needs now, but that has the capacity and the power to add dedicated video/sound cards and other things should my needs change in the future.

Anyhow, if you all don't mind, would you take a look at my list and see if all looks compatible before I pull the trigger? It would be greatly appreciated.

Case: SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX HTPC Computer Case GD05B (Black)

MOBO: Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI DVI/HDMI Dual UEFI BIOS mATX Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K Processor 3.4 4 BX80637I53570K

Fan: Thermaltake Slim X3 Low Profile 36mm Height CPU Cooler <Edited>

Memory: Corsair Dominator 8 GB 2 x 4 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz 240-pin CAS 9 Dual Channel DDR3 <edited>

OS Drive: OCZ Vertex 4 128G SATA 6.0 GB/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive

Storage: Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s NCQ 64 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive

DVD: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

WIFI: Rosewill RNX-N300X IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI Wireless Adapter <Edited>

Power: Corsair Builder Series CX600 600 watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

Is there anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Lee
It'll be a solid HTPC.....and it should do everything you throw at it........
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Maybe it's just me, I think you need to double check this -

Fan: 158.5 mm tall

Memory - 204-Pin Laptop Memory

WIFI: Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter - Not WIFI

(2012-05-06, 00:17)Driver 944 Wrote: Maybe it's just me, I think you need to double check this -

Fan: 158.5 mm tall

Memory - 204-Pin Laptop Memory

WIFI: Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter - Not WIFI

Oops, cut and pasted the wrong info on the network card! Thanks. I was not certain on some of these components as far as fitting within the case. I'll do some more homework.
Alright, I think my eyes were crossed when picking memory...I needed 240-pin. And yeah, that fan would have needed a sunroof on my case. Switched to the following:

Fan: Thermaltake Slim X3 Low Profile 36mm Height CPU Cooler

Memory: Corsair Dominator 8 GB 2 x 4 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz 240-pin CAS 9 Dual Channel DDR3

WIFI: Rosewill RNX-N300X IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI Wireless Adapter
I highly recommend this fan:

http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-SHURIKEN-5-...-1-catcorr

It will fit in that case (or should, I have a smaller Silverstone case and don't have any problems) and it is simply amazing. Big, silent, and keeps the GPU cool with very low fan speed. Several of the people on the forums are using this and are very happy with it. Beer even cut his case a bit just to fit this fan because it is so damn amazing Big Grin
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

i think your over doing it by a long shot for what you will be needing it for.
(2012-05-06, 04:29)littlepooch21 Wrote: i think your over doing it by a long shot for what you will be needing it for.

True, I mentioned in my op that I know I don't need much to do that. But I'm the type that tends to go above and beyond. LoL. Besides all my computers in the past were bought put together already and they always were just enough to do the job and nothing more. I'm not going to let that happen this time. Plus, I guess when I talk about the future, I mean music creation. I used to have a website online and sold the music I made and I will eventually (could be a while) get back into that and I think this computer will handle that endeavor pretty well. But the way life keeps getting in the way who knows if I will ever have that kind of time again. But I gotta keep the hope alive! haha
(2012-05-06, 19:59)Solid Snake Wrote:
(2012-05-06, 04:29)littlepooch21 Wrote: i think your over doing it by a long shot for what you will be needing it for.

True, I mentioned in my op that I know I don't need much to do that. But I'm the type that tends to go above and beyond. LoL. Besides all my computers in the past were bought put together already and they always were just enough to do the job and nothing more. I'm not going to let that happen this time. Plus, I guess when I talk about the future, I mean music creation. I used to have a website online and sold the music I made and I will eventually (could be a while) get back into that and I think this computer will handle that endeavor pretty well. But the way life keeps getting in the way who knows if I will ever have that kind of time again. But I gotta keep the hope alive! haha

At a price tag North of 900.00, I hope that is the motivation you need to get going again .... Enjoy!
(2012-05-06, 19:59)Solid Snake Wrote: But I'm the type that tends to go above and beyond. LoL. Besides all my computers in the past were bought put together already and they always were just enough to do the job and nothing more. I'm not going to let that happen this time. Plus, I guess when I talk about the future, I mean music creation.
Whatever make you happy, and that is what matter most......you'll be very happy with your Intel i5-3570k HTPC.....Nod

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1st Time Computer Builder, Group 3 I Guess0