Share thumbnails from smb share
Dropbox definitely works on Macs, but I'm guessing it doesn't auto sync with iPad's (because it doesn't auto-sync on Android), and I'm sure it doesn't work on AppleTV, etc. Still I've got it up and running on my home network and it works amazingly well between all the different computers at my house. It's also less painful than an rsync because it's syncing when the files change... not on XBMC startup and there's less to configure. Still that solution would support a lot more devices.
With Dropbox you have to be aware of the thumb folder size, mine's over 5GB (use DDS) so the free account wouldn't work.
I don't know of it runs automatically or not, but for iOS: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/03/01/...o-dropbox/
bit confused? i thought mysql server was the answer to this question from googling around on it myself over the last few days?

i did until this thread think that you could do this:

have lets say a master pc with xbmc installed where you manually import new movies and fan art / thumbs.. it will be the very same pc you remux on for example the home workstation if you will

then have the 'thumbnails' folder on that pc (be it win7 or linux) copy to your main NAS/SERVER share (perhaps auto but to be safe maybe when your happy you manually copy it yourself)

then because you have setup your live nodes (living room xbmc, bedroom xbmc, kitchen xbmc, bathroom xbmc, tree house xbmc Wink ) to all talk to the MySQL server AKA your NAS/SERVER they would pull down the thumbs / fanart / folder structure the whole job lot. Surley they would still show all the content there downloaded to the client/node even if the remote hosts actual files weren't there? or is that the key (and frankly derp reason) that this doesn't work as of 11? i.e it doesn't store locally the thumbnail folder even when synced mysql? if not then is all the mysql bit does is point to a share?.. no that cant be right.. erg confused

please clarify i must be missing something, it doesn't seem hard so far.
(2012-05-07, 18:27)live4ever Wrote: With Dropbox you have to be aware of the thumb folder size, mine's over 5GB (use DDS) so the free account wouldn't work.
You've either got an enormous library, or you've never bothered to clean out your thumbs folder. With 110 movies and 250 episodes mine is sitting at 188MB. Note, you only need to sync the Music and Video folders in the Thumbnail directory because everything else will be re-cached when needed, so that might be taking up a lot of your space.

(2012-05-07, 21:55)phill1978 Wrote: bit confused? i thought mysql server was the answer to this question from googling around on it myself over the last few days?
You are a little confused. What using MySQL does is allow you to sync your library/watched/bookmarks between multiple PCs over the network. It allows you to stop in one room and resume in another. A file added to the library on one machine will show up in another instantly.

HOWEVER, what it won't do is sync your library's thumbnails. They aren't stored in database at all and are locally cached. You can store your thumbnail folder on a networked server, but unfortunately this is slow as hell for machines that aren't local to the thumbnail folder. That's why we're discussing methods for syncing the folder locally between machines. Fanart is the biggest culprit because it can take a full second (or more) to transfer a 1-2MB file between the networked location and your remote PC. The problem is there's no good built-in way to do this in XBMC currently. The recommended "solution" is to manually sync your Thumbnail folder between machines every so often so that you can still store it locally.
There is an addon (in beta) that aims to sync addons, thumbnails, fanart, etc between your xbmc installs. This way everything is local but you can still keep stuff in sync. May be worth checking out.

https://github.com/declankenny/XBMC_datasync
Yeah, that looks like what I was looking for. Good work. I'll keep an eye on it now, to see how it progresses.
...DJVege...
HTPC: G840 + GT430 + 2GB RAM + 30GB SSD
Remote: iPad/iPhone + iRule + USB-UIRT // FireFly RF Remote
Software: XBMC Eden + Eventghost + Win7
(2012-05-08, 04:44)Mordred Wrote: HOWEVER, what it won't do is sync your library's thumbnails. They aren't stored in database at all and are locally cached. You can store your thumbnail folder on a networked server, but unfortunately this is slow as hell for machines that aren't local to the thumbnail folder. That's why we're discussing methods for syncing the folder locally between machines. Fanart is the biggest culprit because it can take a full second (or more) to transfer a 1-2MB file between the networked location and your remote PC. The problem is there's no good built-in way to do this in XBMC currently. The recommended "solution" is to manually sync your Thumbnail folder between machines every so often so that you can still store it locally.

thanks for clearing that up Blush

seems to me (without looking at how this new addon works) that we need simply for xbmc to allow for local caching of thumbnails (or ANYTHING with images such as music cover art) this combined with a 'lookup' to the server for any changes so only new content or modified content gets pulled on each boot, cant see it being too hard its basically an adaptation of rsync or something simular.

Of course as mentioned earlier and others mentioned you can already do this quite easy and perhaps its just a case of setting up a scheduled XBMC node update for your clients folders at the early hours then shutdown using WOL? just point the thumbnail folder local and have data pushed to each local folder from the server, but have the films on the nas.

not a very user friendly option though ^

I recently set up a new low end XBMC box just to play music on my living room audio. (headless, I just play from the web interface). I have 400+ albums in my existing directory, and hated the thought of re-caching all those thumbnails. So I copied the music thumbnails folder to the new box, but it did not tie them to each album. So then I copied the music database , which I hesitated because I was going from a Dharma to and Eden, but it worked and saved me mucho effort. So my point is that these syncing solutions should work just fine, at least for music. Or you could occasionally manually update one of the systems.

Since this experience, I have begun putting cover art in each album folder when I add new music, I wish I'd done that all along.

Hi Lads,

Just a quick question from a newbie.

I was trying to share the thumbails over SMB but didn't manage to get it working either way and from what I'm reading here I'm probably just going to do local copies.

Soooo if I just remove the thumbail path substitution and "update" my library it will download the thumbnails and images to their correct folder? Or do I have to clear the library for it to download the thumbnails again?

Thanks
Gary

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Share thumbnails from smb share0