• 28(current)
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only
don't know why,
but this one crashes also with me with a clean stand alone version

DEBUG (enabled in advancedsettings.xml)
also got a crash .dmp if needed
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
May 12 nightly seems to work here. I still see errors in the log file though, but it doesn't crash.

The confluence skin is still broken (background images for the different main menu items) don't appear. Other
skins work fine.

After a quick test on my PC, next stop is my HTPC.
HTPC: MS-Tech MC-1200 | Asus F2A85-M | AMD A10-6700 | OCZ Agility3 120GB | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3| LiteOn iHOS104 BDR | Win10 x64 | Kodi 15.2
Home AV: Philips 42PFL5038 | Sony BDPS6500 | Onkyo TX-NR636 | Sony PS4 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Sonos audio | Apple TV Gen 4 | Nvidia Shield Android TV | 5.1 speakers (TMA, Klipsch)
script.randomitems causes errors and service.watchdog prevent xbmc from exit. after deleting it works well. now i check this with usb-cec usage
(2012-05-12, 12:39)loekf Wrote: The confluence skin is still broken (background images for the different main menu items) don't appear. Other
skins work fine.
This is no bug - it's by intention. Switching backgrounds per menu item have been removed from confluence to make it snappier on weak HW.
(2012-05-12, 01:43)DDDamian Wrote:
(2012-05-12, 01:23)parrydave Wrote: Question:
What would AE make of one of these devices.....
Musiland Monitor 01

They seem to deliver 24 bit/192kHz over optical/coax using clever ASIO and WASAPI drivers. People have had great success using with Foobar2k outputing hi def audio to DACs via this device. If Windows sees this device with supported modes up to 192kHz, will AE be able to operate at >48kHz?

My AVR doesn't have HDMI audio support. This is my only route to HD audio.

Thanks
Dave

I don't know anything about that device, but it's driver would have to decode DTS-MA/TrueHD for that to work, as well as to report those as supported modes to Windows. 24/192 is what you need for those formats, but you also need a decoder somewhere that would change the stream from these encoded formats to PCM. AE can decode TrueHD losslessly to PCM, so that's fine, but not DTS-MA. Your money might be better put to a receiver that supports those formats.

Thanks DDDamien,
Now i've got the nightly running ok and can see how the settings configured, can i rephrase my question?
With "Optical/Coax" selected in settings, assuming hardware supports the formats etc, will AE pass 96kHz 2-channel or is it locked to either 44.1 or 48kHz over Optical/Coax?
And if it will work at the higher rate, will it match the source file sample rate or reclock? I saw the discussion on advancedsettings.xml switch to disable 44.1>48kHz.

Given the limitations of my AVR (no HDMI audio) my best hope is to be able to play 2-ch 96khz Flac over spdif (which my AVR will accept!) or to pass to appropriate DAC.

Thanks and great work.
Dave
HP Proliant Micorserver | ATI Radeon 5450 | El-cheapo USB Soundcard | Pioneer PDP-507XD
Squeezebox 3 (modded) | Arcam AVR350 | Arcam A85 | Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkII | Dynaudio Focus 200C | M&K K4 Tripoles | BK-Elec XXLS-400 Sub with Antimode
(2012-05-12, 13:11)da-anda Wrote:
(2012-05-12, 12:39)loekf Wrote: The confluence skin is still broken (background images for the different main menu items) don't appear. Other
skins work fine.
This is no bug - it's by intention. Switching backgrounds per menu item have been removed from confluence to make it snappier on weak HW.

Thanks for clearifying that up.

Nightly May 12 built works ok on my HTPC. Tried the usual files. Not sure what the problem with Onkyo receivers was ? My TX-NR609 doesn't give any problems.
HTPC: MS-Tech MC-1200 | Asus F2A85-M | AMD A10-6700 | OCZ Agility3 120GB | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3| LiteOn iHOS104 BDR | Win10 x64 | Kodi 15.2
Home AV: Philips 42PFL5038 | Sony BDPS6500 | Onkyo TX-NR636 | Sony PS4 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Sonos audio | Apple TV Gen 4 | Nvidia Shield Android TV | 5.1 speakers (TMA, Klipsch)
(2012-05-12, 12:39)loekf Wrote: May 12 nightly seems to work here. I still see errors in the log file though, but it doesn't crash.

The confluence skin is still broken (background images for the different main menu items) don't appear. Other
skins work fine.

did you use stand alone version with the -p switch or normal install ?
wonder if the issue is with the stand alone version that it crashes during startup.
and did you use a clean install or over a excisting ?
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
Sorry I didnt read anything but is this in the latest Nightly (master) builds or do I still have to dl something else?

I finally ordered a Denon 1612 since my old AVR wasnt able to playback DTSHD.
(2012-05-12, 04:07)DDDamian Wrote:
(2012-05-11, 20:18)PKOneTwo Wrote: This maybe interesting for you DDDamian:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13017

jmarshall put you on cc. (crash on start, sound intialization)

Thx - replied on ticket and closed Smile

no crash @ start anymore. Thx
(2012-05-12, 14:23)TRaSH Wrote:
(2012-05-12, 12:39)loekf Wrote: May 12 nightly seems to work here. I still see errors in the log file though, but it doesn't crash.

skins work fine.

did you use stand alone version with the -p switch or normal install ?
wonder if the issue is with the stand alone version that it crashes during startup.
and did you use a clean install or over a excisting ?

I used a clean install, not a portable installation.

Found a funny thing on my regular PC. As soon as I change the speaker mode from 2.1 to 5.1, videos turn into a slide show. My regular PC has a Creative X-Fi sound card with 5.1 speakers. WASAPI or DirectSound makes no difference. Slide show is as is "slow video playback, no sound, mouse and keyboard control becomes very unresponsive".

Guess the removal of shared mode has something to do with it.
Ok. After passing the 1rst test on my standard PC, i've tested the build i've made earlier on my PC for watching video. Both audio outpout were set on the same Wasapi HDMI output, the same i've allways been configured with, and speaker were set to 7.1.
Result : The best silence i've ever eard...
Noticed also, output was allways on PCM 7.1 instead of being at the same number of channels as the audio from the video file played, as it was with previous version.
You have a log (with debug) with several attempt of playing file here.
My audio device is a Pioneer VSX-921.
same test but better result Wink everything works fine. dts-hd-ma 5.1 no async or pause problems, 2ch upmix sounds good. aac audio from di.fm addon sounds perfect. but scrolling video database bring some errors in log: WARNING: XFILE::CFileFactory::CreateLoader - Unsupported protocol

is
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
<allowd3d9ex>true</allowd3d9ex>
<algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
possible? or added in build?
(2012-05-12, 15:06)jpsdr Wrote: Ok. After passing the 1rst test on my standard PC, i've tested the build i've made earlier on my PC for watching video. Both audio outpout were set on the same Wasapi HDMI output, the same i've allways been configured with, and speaker were set to 7.1.
Result : The best silence i've ever eard...
Noticed also, output was allways on PCM 7.1 instead of being at the same number of channels as the audio from the video file played, as it was with previous version.
You have a log (with debug) with several attempt of playing file here.
My audio device is a Pioneer VSX-921.

You have selected the following audio device:
Code:
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:     Device 1
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_deviceName      : {40182C1F-23F5-4D64-B27E-0E47E44F71A0}
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_displayName     : HDMI - HD Audio HDMI out (VIA High Definition Audio)
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_displayNameExtra: WASAPI: HD Audio HDMI out (VIA High Definition Audio)
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_deviceType      : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_channels        : FL,FR
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_sampleRates     : 48000,44100
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_dataFormats     : AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE,AE_FMT_S16BE

If you look at it you'll see it's limited to 2ch, and very poor support of data formats and sample rates. You can try selecting:
Code:
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:     Device 3
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_deviceName      : {7F59FF03-AE3F-4C2C-A164-FBBF33EAB278}
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_displayName     : HDMI - VSX-921-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_displayNameExtra: WASAPI: VSX-921-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_deviceType      : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_channels        : FL,FR
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_sampleRates     : 192000,96000,48000,44100
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_dataFormats     : AE_FMT_DTSHD,AE_FMT_TRUEHD,AE_FMT_EAC3,AE_FMT_DTS,AE_FMT_AC3,AE_FMT_S24NE4,AE_FMT_S24LE4,AE_FMT_S24BE4,AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE,AE_FMT_S16BE

It at least supports all the right encoded formats, along with higher sample rates. However it is only reporting it supports 2ch, which is very unlikely - check your channel setup in XBMC and Windows, and if they are both set to 7.1 update your drivers. Your onboard VIA device should be disabled as well - it may be interfering with the NVIDIA device.

I'm glad we wrote the code to capture all the audio devices - that took some time but was well worth it. Every log now should contain this list, for our benefit and yours.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-05-12, 13:16)parrydave Wrote:
(2012-05-12, 01:43)DDDamian Wrote:
(2012-05-12, 01:23)parrydave Wrote: Question:
What would AE make of one of these devices.....
Musiland Monitor 01

They seem to deliver 24 bit/192kHz over optical/coax using clever ASIO and WASAPI drivers. People have had great success using with Foobar2k outputing hi def audio to DACs via this device. If Windows sees this device with supported modes up to 192kHz, will AE be able to operate at >48kHz?

My AVR doesn't have HDMI audio support. This is my only route to HD audio.

Thanks
Dave

I don't know anything about that device, but it's driver would have to decode DTS-MA/TrueHD for that to work, as well as to report those as supported modes to Windows. 24/192 is what you need for those formats, but you also need a decoder somewhere that would change the stream from these encoded formats to PCM. AE can decode TrueHD losslessly to PCM, so that's fine, but not DTS-MA. Your money might be better put to a receiver that supports those formats.

Thanks DDDamien,
Now i've got the nightly running ok and can see how the settings configured, can i rephrase my question?
With "Optical/Coax" selected in settings, assuming hardware supports the formats etc, will AE pass 96kHz 2-channel or is it locked to either 44.1 or 48kHz over Optical/Coax?
And if it will work at the higher rate, will it match the source file sample rate or reclock? I saw the discussion on advancedsettings.xml switch to disable 44.1>48kHz.

Given the limitations of my AVR (no HDMI audio) my best hope is to be able to play 2-ch 96khz Flac over spdif (which my AVR will accept!) or to pass to appropriate DAC.

Thanks and great work.
Dave

Hmmmm how best to answer....
Right now the logic behind "Analog/Optical/HDMI" is not used for much - since writing the device enumeration code which outputs at the start of your log, we are looking at better ways to use that information we worked so hard to gather.

Consumer devices using optical/spdif are supposed to run at 16bit/48khz, even though in many cases the hardware can accept much higher. That however is against the spdif standard. What you're talking about is a non-standard device, but that doesn't mean it won't work.

To protect user's hardware we will limit spdif/optical to 16/48khz, but we may include an as.xml setting to allow higher output rates, or we may just add a "USB" catagory which will allow higher rates. The whole selection of Analog/Optical/HDMI is more just a guideline - we care more about the actual device and it's capabilites than the type of connection.

Part of the work over the next month or two will include using the device capability information to automatically pick the best output format based on device and vice-versa, subject to user overrides. This will include interlocking incompatible devices and modes.

If your heart is really set on this device, and you're sure it will do what you want (I'm skeptical about DTS-MA) then one way or the other we'll accomodate it, so yeah, go ahead, just don't expect it to be a top priority as it's rather unstandard and uncommon. As mentioned before, I think you're better off investing in a newer receiver - even as a pre-amp for your exisiting AVR to decode these formats if your current AVR is good quality just w/o HDMI.

EDIT: had a quick look at that device - I really don't think it's going to do what you expect at all. We'll support the 24/192khz it say's it's capable of, but I think you're mistaken if you expect non-decoded TrueHD/DTS-MA from it. Those are only available via HDMI. We can decode TrueHD for you and that will work (maybe as it says it "upsamples" to 192khz) but that's it - no DTS-MA decoding. I don't see any magic shortcut to those - HDMI and a capable receiver are the only path to those.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
@TRaSH - i've seen that SQL error popping up a lot lately - perhaps time to try the full (non-portable) install, and go through your addons to see if any are causing the issue. The crash was an unrelated bug caused by a seperate threading project that I was able to track down - was fixed last night. JMarshall pushed some fixes last night addressing filepaths and the new SQL thumbnail caching which may have fixed the error you're getting - it's a new initiative by him to move the thumbs into the database, and he's been doing some bug-fixes on it.

@TeKo - it is in the nightlies - just install the latest and you've got it - nothing else required. Enjoy your Denon Smile

@loekf - "Guess the removal of shared mode has something to do with it. " - don't guess - I can't code on guesses. I can usually on logs. That Creative is an spdif device - one of the devs testing for us has one. You cannot play uncompressed audio at 5.1 over spdif - it must be AC3 to do so. If you want 5.1 pcm over spdif pls add under <audio> in as.xml <transcodeto>ac3</transcodeto> - this will transcode your pcm stuff to AC3.

@Nimo - those lines are fine to add to your as.xml and are supported. The error you pointed out is part of the bug-fix I mentioned to Trash above - expect if it's not already fixed it will be today.

Hope that covers everything - glad we're up and running again without that crash at start-up. Enjoy, and remember, logs for errors pls.
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only3