File size limit?
I have been experimenting compressing my blu rays (a struggle in its own right - what a shame there isn't straightforward software like DVD Shrink...)

Anyway I am finding that getting down to about 13gb the files stutter and freeze.

What is the maximum file size ATV2 and XBMC can handle?
Doesn't depend on the file size - more about the encoder setup. For ATV2 you better go with h.264 codec in mkv container and when doing 1080p resolution don't do more then 5 ref frames and not more then 20mbps data rate. Safe side CPU wise is 3 reframes.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks Memphiz.

Is there a particular piece of software (and an easy to read guide) that you can recommend?

I invested in Slysoft to rip my BDs which is straightforward but I have not found any easy to use compression software. the other problem is that it takes all day to compress a disc, only for me to find I got some setting wrong, and off I go again! It's a very long and slow learning curve!
(2012-05-11, 22:11)keiron99 Wrote: Is there a particular piece of software (and an easy to read guide) that you can recommend?
Handbrake

http://handbrake.fr/

Easiest one out there. Has a "Preset" for ATV2.

It still takes forever, and "compressing" is not really the correct term, "trans-coding" is.
Hey thanks! The ATV2 preset on Handbrake worked! On my 42" Panasonic plasma I cannot detect any picture quality detrioration on the "transcoded" 7.4GB file compared to the blu ray ISO on my Dune player.

One thing though, the ATV2 preset strips out the DTS soundtrack. I know that the ATV2 won't handle HD soundtracks (I think?) so which settings shoud I use to preserve DTS? There are many options, like AAC, AC3 and DTS passthrough. Can anyone please advise? I'd like to keep the highest possible quality soundtrack.
DTS passthrough then...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-05-12, 16:37)keiron99 Wrote: One thing though, the ATV2 preset strips out the DTS soundtrack. I know that the ATV2 won't handle HD soundtracks (I think?) so which settings shoud I use to preserve DTS? There are many options, like AAC, AC3 and DTS passthrough. Can anyone please advise? I'd like to keep the highest possible quality soundtrack.
Check to see what the source encoding is a select the corresponding "passthru" option.

You could always use the program makemkv I use it alot with dvds and blurays I highly recommend it
(2012-05-12, 22:57)scalda Wrote: You could always use the program makemkv I use it alot with dvds and blurays I highly recommend it
For an ATV2, makemkv is fine for DVD's (I still prefer playing DVD iso's with the original DVD menu) but the ATV2 gags on a full blu-ray mkv file made with makemkv. You still need to use a transcoder like handbrake.

If you still want to transcoded to a 1080p file that the ATV2 won't choke on, just pay attention to Memphiz's first reply up top.

But why? I'd keep the full blu-ray ISO as an archive and transcode a 720p file to play. When you replace the ATV2, the replacement will likely be able to play the blu-ray ISO.

OK I can confirm after leaving Handbrake running overnight that DTS Passthru does indeed leave the original DTS track in tact.

However, on a couple of disics I've tried, it's told me there is no audio track and I've had to manually change the Container to mkv.

I don't suppose there's anyway of keeping the menu in tact through this process is there?
(2012-05-13, 11:53)keiron99 Wrote: I don't suppose there's anyway of keeping the menu in tact through this process is there?
For all practical purposes, No. While if someone had the expertise to
  1. Demux all of the blu-ray content
  2. Transcode the video down to 720p
  3. remux it all back to a blu-ray layout
could do it, it would be a MAJOR production for EACH blu-ray.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
File size limit?0