• 34(current)
XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread)
(2012-06-04, 23:23)Doktor-X Wrote: i think that my pi is broken in some way, i can't play h264 mkv files like i't shood i geting only 1 frame at the time and my screen constantly blinking i have try to streame from local network and from usb flash but end resault is same xvid and divx working just fine HELP!!! i dont know what to do

Check that your power supply is appropriate (mA wise)
i have order power supply from rs when i was ordering my pi so power supply is fine it is 1200 mAh so thing this is enough
i just check cpu load over ssh using top command and i see that cpu load is around 5-20% but 1080p video play's like i have low BW on my network
[edit - double posted]
odd, seems i posted my message earlier, yet when i looked later it was still wrote out in my 'reply to post'.

anyway, things have changed slightly since, so the below post is where im at.
I was running the RaspBMC Beta fine, the H.264 files are GPU Accelerated and the CPU load will be minimal compared to when its in the menus (even idle) because of how XBMC works. The RC should have lower CPU load, but the GPU is still doing the work for HD content, and i believe the CPU is decoding for SD which was the initial cause for concern. When i tried it though, it loaded just as quickly as any HD content (~3sec) and worked absolutely flawlessly, skips instantly without issue, whereas HD has that visual f-up that takes a couple of sec to fade away and its fine. That was also streaming from my WHS2011 file server too, not local.

I've had some trouble with the RC though, booted the Pi up and it started to do an update but failed, had a look on their website and noticed a link so figured i'd do a fresh install, maybe thats what was required. Flashed it, let it work its magic, and then it seemed to be getting SD errors.
Ive since noticed that the img is the same file, same size, date and everything, so im guessing thats nothing more than a basic platform in which to download the latest files and install it?
So i did that, took 12min including a reboot afterwards, and looking in the system, im running Raspbmc 12.0 Alpha2 compiled May 30th, and my CPU usage is around 75-80%

Is that just wrongly labelled, hasnt been modified to reflect its change to Beta or RC1, or am i somehow running an old version??
(2012-06-02, 01:58)Jimmer Wrote:
(2012-06-01, 23:36)e8hffff Wrote: I think the RPi is a tinkering toy, not a serious home solution for the average joe to get XBMC.

It's designed to be a tinkering toy. It's designed to get people to mess around with it. There's nothing wrong with that...

however, why is that idea mutually exclusive with some software development nudging this device towards a perfect little lower power xbmc box for a bedroom or office?

I'm hoping it works out well! I've got one ordered and can't wait for it. Both because I want to tinker with it, and also because I'd love it to be a front-end client for a small bedroom display pulling media off my primary htpc. I don't have particularly high expectations, just driving a 720p monitor and a pair of standard computer speakers with a wired network connection. Generally my media is around that quality level (my choice of quality vs. file size, so around 2-4gb/movie), so it should pan out pretty well.

But, even if it doesn't work out too well as a mini-low power-htpc frontend, that's ok. I'll have tons of fun with the little bugger regardless!
I've just installed the latest version (RC2) of Raspbmc onto my new PI and its excellent. I'm currently watching a 10gb 720p mkv and the playback is flawless.

It was also ridiculously easy to setup. All I needed to do was download an image file and copy it to my SD card using USB image tool. Navigation is fast as is accessing and loading files. Also my MCE remote works quite well, some of the buttons do not work but all of the main ones do.

Great work Sam!!Big Grin
i also have been able to get 1080p to finally play almost perfekt using build 10902
I got Raspberry Pi few days ago as well.. but I can't decide if i should use openELEC or Raspbmc.

I guess I will give Raspbmc a try. But what do you all think?
Raspbmc seems to be making a more rapid progress from what I've been watching (don't have my Pi yet though) and seems to be a little more slimmed down so perhaps it runs a bit better.

Give them both a try though and see which is best in your opinion, it's as simple as swapping SD cards. I'd like to see some actual comparisons of the two.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Also turn off RSS feeds on the home screen and in the new RC2 with that and dirty regions you can get idle home screen CPU usage to around 15%
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
What's the dirty region setting you advice?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2012-06-08, 14:27)xbs08 Wrote: What's the dirty region setting you advice?

Dirty regions are already enabled on Raspbmc RC2. RSS is also turned off by default. Check in ~/.xbmd/userdate/advancedsettings.xml

Mike

If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Nice, thank you Dilligaf.

Just got my raspberry today, manage to install Raspbmc which was very easy, only problem is that I couldn't make my MCE remote to work so I'm currently using android remote.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
I'm trying a few things with the MCE remote. If I have any success it will be posted on the Raspbmc forum http://forum.stmlabs.com/
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
  • 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread)11