Windows 8 vs unRaid
Has anyone seen Win8's new 'storage spaces' feature?
blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/05/virtualizing-storage-for-scale-resiliency-and-efficiency.aspx

I've been pondering using unraid for a while now but my plan is to have a server running 24/7 and an htpc that I power on demand that streams from the server.
I'm hoping to do it with ivy bridge cpu's for ultra low power (17w) in both machines and 802.11ac gig wifi. I know unraid supports running things like couchpotato/sickbeard etc but I would choose a windows environment for flexibility/easiness if i could which is why I think Win8 plus this new feature would be a perfect fit!
It sounds like they are really covering all aspects and making it quite easy to manage. Check it out
this feature in windows looks great, but license fees for windows 8 with this feature would be way higher then other alternatives available. This would add to the cost of setup.
Quote:Resiliency is built in by associating the mirrored attribute,

Yawn.

Parity > Redundancy

Unraid is better than anything MS has come up with for a mediaserver.

Storage Spaces is supposed to have a parity option as well.
Poofy - keep reading Smile

"Parity spaces are well suited for storing data such as large home videos, which have large capacity requirements, large sequential (predominantly append) write requests, and an infrequent-to-minimal need to update existing content.

Akin to mirrored spaces, slabs for parity spaces are strewn across available disks (with capacity utilized for parity information) as shown below for a parity space contained within a six-disk pool:"...
But the problem is the disk striping in that setup.

Quote:To maximize performance, Storage Spaces always stripes data across multiple physical disks

Part of the benefit of Unraid is how it lacks striping so that disks can power down when not in use, and so that if the array fails they you can pull out the disks and recover the data.

I guess we will see when it is available. Might be a good option for some people.

(2012-06-12, 17:42)poofyhairguy Wrote:
Quote:Resiliency is built in by associating the mirrored attribute,

Yawn.

Parity > Redundancy

Unraid is better than anything MS has come up with for a mediaserver.

As he said...
Windows 8 storage spaces does look very interesting. I had already started a thread about it here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...age+spaces
In the Consumer Preview release HomeServerShow did a test to see what kind of speeds they got with it. The results were really bad. I don't know if it has gotten better in the Release Preview but I am waiting for them to redo the tests again.

However it does look very interesting.
I'm running an All-In-One sorta box, Win7, XBMC, SickBeard, CouchPotato, and sabnzbd, with 7TB of pooled storage using Drive Bender plus a dedicated 320GB drive for the system. If Win8 can offer parity, I could be convinced to switch to Win8
I'm sold on unRaid for the same reasons mentioned above,..PLUS,..

With Windows,..you'll always have to worry about a virus scanner, keeping it up-to-date with Service Packs,...and other mgmt related tasks.
With unRaid,..it's almost as easy as "set it, and forget it".

I'm exaggerating of course,..and I LOVE Windows,..but Linux has it's purposes,..and unRaid is a great purpose!
Maybe I misread it or I just don't understand, but what is the point of having a pooled virtual drive present itself as larger than the actual physical space behind it?

2TB+2TB in physical drives, presenting itself as a faux 10TB drive? How does this benifit the user?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8 vs unRaid0