Zotac shipping with XBMC!! ZBOX ID41 Plus Linux
Just ran across an ad at my Local fry's for this: http://www.frys.com/product/7126262?site...ge:Mon_p23

Looked it up on zotac website and it says:
Complete with Ubuntu 11.10 and XBMC, the ZOTAC ZBOX ID41 Linux mini-PC is the perfect solution for users seeking a simple platform and outlet for media center needs.

http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id41-linux.html
Interesting... just couple of days ago I got this from a Zotac customer rep: "Note that ZOTAC only supports the operating systems of XP, Vista, and 7 32 and 64-bits."
Exactly, it'd be good if they actually put support behind it.
Is this better than the Zotac ND22?
I just ordered one, lets see what happens. I'm also ordering windows MCE remote and receiver, I think I'll need that?
Very curious to hear feedback on this unit!

I've reached out to Zotac to find out if it's possible to custom order one with a SSD instead of HDD.

I'll post here when I hear back
Hi guys, I am a new owner of the Linux ID41 ZBOX and have decided to join the XBMC community to share my experience.
I purchased my new Linux ID41 with XBMC preloaded last week from Fry's, and am surprisingly pleased with it so far.
I am a long time Ubuntu fan, and have tested a few of the ZBOXs for personal HTPC projects in the past few years.
I have had many issues in the past with other models of the ZBOX, spent frustrating months on finding compatible drivers to have it work properly.

This ZBOX works perfectly out of the box, boots right into Ubuntu 11.10 and XBMC. I plugged in my USB HDD and was able to playback my 1080p MKV files flawlessly with HD audio from HDMI output Big Grin (an issue I've had in the past with ZBOX). When I quit XBMC, I can fully use the Unity Desktop as my web browser and PC. I am also pleased to see the WIFI fully working out of the box, as well as HD flash playback even in full screen mode. (another huge issue I've had in the past with ZBOX and Ubuntu)

I am happy to see Zotac taking the time to work out previous compatibility issues and bugs, and pre-install Ubuntu and XBMC on the ID41 ZBOX. I have used my new ZBOX for an entire week now without turning it off, and have not seen any thermal issues or resuming the screen when I needed. I installed "NAVI-X" plugin on XBMC, then canceled my cable subscription.

The only complaints I have for this unit, is the lack of SSD and RAM upgrade option from Fry's and Zotac website. Also, I would of installed the 64 bit version of Ubuntu instead of the 32 bit that comes pre-installed. However, I don't see any performance issues with the 32 bit that comes with the unit and I guess it would save me headaches on 64 bit compatibility issues.

Also, since the release of this unit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has been released so I would recommend upgrading as well.

Will report back any bugs or issues that I see, downloading more apps from the Ubuntu Software Center as I type Cool
No dice on a special order with SSD
I got mine from Fry's a few weeks back. The unit itself is very well made, and is very easy to open. It looks nice, though I'm not a big fan of the circular blue light that shows up on the unit itself, kind of annoying and cheap looking. Anyways, I wasn't a big fan of the linux and xbmc installed, so I immediately put openelec on it. It works great! PQ is fantastic, sound quality is great, no stutters. I am very happy with this computer. Especially since i bought a 800.00 mac mini, this is a much better and cheaper alternative. Took me a while to figure out how to install openelec as I'm a noobie.. needed an sd card not usb.

Mo
There's a setting in the BIOS, from what I've read, that disables the blue light.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

I see thanks!
(2012-06-16, 01:23)mohanman Wrote: I got mine from Fry's a few weeks back. The unit itself is very well made, and is very easy to open. It looks nice, though I'm not a big fan of the circular blue light that shows up on the unit itself, kind of annoying and cheap looking. Anyways, I wasn't a big fan of the linux and xbmc installed, so I immediately put openelec on it. It works great! PQ is fantastic, sound quality is great, no stutters. I am very happy with this computer. Especially since i bought a 800.00 mac mini, this is a much better and cheaper alternative. Took me a while to figure out how to install openelec as I'm a noobie.. needed an sd card not usb.

Mo

FYI, You can disable that light in the bios. I think its something like illumination in one of the menus.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac shipping with XBMC!! ZBOX ID41 Plus Linux0