Intel fails to completely fix the 24fps issue
Ivy Bridge.

Quote:While 4K video support is impressive, Intel hasn’t completely fixed the 24fps issue that some people noticed in Sandy Bridge. By not quite getting the frame rate of video playback for this format of video, movies can appear to stutter.

When asked about this, Dr Hong Jiang, senior principal engineer and chief media architect for Intel, said that ‘we’ve improved the clock for Ivy Bridge, so that issue is much reduced. Compared to Sandy Bridge, it’s a major step forward.’ Tom Piazza, Intel senior fellow, chipped in, adding that ‘it’s significantly reduced – you’d have to look real hard to catch it.’
source --> http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2198726
Yep - my ATI 6450 has it nailed. But so few dedicated cards do, and it's a shame to see Intel hasn't fixed this. Then again, bluray shouldn't have adapted 23.976.... anyways.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
ATI 6450 FTW! 64XX series....
Of course i can't find the link right now, but i've googled a lot on intel graphics, and there's a huge thread on avsforums. on Intel, Nvidia, AMD/ATI religion battle almost.
It said, that Nvidia neither do play 24p perfect. If i remember correct, Intel would drop 1 frame, every 40 seconds. Nvidia and ATI would just do the same, just some minutes after. But the really big question was/is...does everyone notice? Were talking about 1 frame of 24, every 40 seconds.
I don't know, always run Nvidia on Linux, the past 4 years, running XBMC on Linux.
Before that, i didn't notice my command line flicker a bit Wink
CoreELEC 19.3
LG OLED CX 65 - Yamaha RX-V775 . Dali Opticon 6.
(2012-04-07, 06:10)Beer40oz Wrote: ATI 6450 FTW! 64XX series....

FTW!!
(2012-04-07, 05:59)DDDamian Wrote: my ATI 6450 has it nailed

did you do anything specia or just set it on 23 Hz ?
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
(2012-04-07, 05:59)DDDamian Wrote: my ATI 6450 has it nailed.

This is INCORRECT. NO card has it nailed! Just look at what Anandtech has to say about it as they have tested your card...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4380/discr...shootout/5

"DDR3 and GDDR5 based 6450:

We didn't find any difference between the two versions of the 6450 that we tested with respect to refresh rate handling. In this section, we will present screenshots from the GDDR5 based 6450.

Catalyst Control Center automatically enables the 23 and 24 Hz settings in the drop down box for refresh rates by recognizing the EDID information. How well do these settings work? A look at the gallery below shows that the behavior is better than Intel's and NVIDIA's native offerings. However, there is still the issue that the play back frame rate locks to 23.977 fps / 24.001 fps. The refresh rate is not exactly 23.977 either, but mostly below that. All in all, this is not the ideal 23.976 Hz, but something that the 'set-it-and-forget-it' crowd might be OK with."

The consensus is NVIDIA cards are THE BEST for 23.976 framerate playback because they allow you to set CUSTOM FRAMERATES with their software unlike ATI/AMD's Catalyst Control Center.
(2012-04-07, 05:59)DDDamian Wrote: Yep - my ATI 6450 has it nailed.

(2012-04-07, 06:12)morfeus Wrote: Of course i can't find the link right now, but i've googled a lot on intel graphics, and there's a huge thread on avsforums.

That AVS thread was started by me and has literally dozens of people (over 560 posts now) that are using ATI, NVidia and Intel alike who are not able to get "perfect 23.976".

This is a fallacy that continues to get perpetuated at this site and others for some reason. All the vendors, as SuperFist points out, have issues with "perfect 23.976" playback and neither ATI or NVidia are immune. Even the reviewers are now recognizing this fact which I pointed out over a year ago yet it still gets perpetuated. Intel drops/skips a frame about every 5 minutes now. That's a single missed frame in about 7000 frames. Many, including myself, don't appreciate this effect and think its largely overblown.

The thread for those that are interested: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333324/lets-s...ently-well

(2012-06-24, 16:40)SuperFist Wrote: The consensus is NVIDIA cards are THE BEST for 23.976 framerate playback because they allow you to set CUSTOM FRAMERATES with their software unlike ATI/AMD's Catalyst Control Center.

That makes sense.

(2012-06-24, 17:05)assassin Wrote: That AVS thread was started by me and has literally dozens of people (over 560 posts now) that are using ATI, NVidia and Intel alike who are not able to get "perfect 23.976".

Many, including myself, don't appreciate this effect and think its largely overblown.

The thread for those that are interested: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333324/lets-s...ently-well
+1........

As I said many times in this forum, "nothing is perfect"......and I wish that we are living in a perfect world.......

I might have been in that AVS thread last year too before I moved to this forum......I preferred to conceal my AVS user.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
With sync playback to display enabled and the sync method set to resample I get no stutter on linux with sandy bridge, however passthrough audio won't work with the resample sync method.
24p shouldn't give you stutter.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel fails to completely fix the 24fps issue0