• 24(current)
[ARCHIVED - WON'T UPDATE] XSqueeze - Squeezebox player for XBMC
Got me a slice of Pi today....don't have an SD card though so will have to sort that out Smile
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2012-06-22, 02:24)bossanova808 Wrote: ...andoviously once I get a Pi (mid July) I will be looking at this too, which reminds me I need to get an SD card happening....all I need really is a Pi, USB charger (e.g. kindle or apple type), SD card and an HDMI, right? Plus Raspbmc on a USB of course....
So it came early then Wink
Raspbmc goes on the SD card (get one that is at least 2GB - even bigger better if you have a large XBMC databases and cover art etc.
Class 6 SD card is good enough - especially as there have been some problems reported with Class 10 devices.
My TV has USB sockets and they provide enough power to drive the RPi (but they power down a few minutes after turning off the TV ... so not a good idea if you want to run RPi as 24*7 server).
Don't forget a TV signal cable, HDMI is best, plus an Ethernet cable and spare port on hub/router.

You can do without keyboard / mouse once things are working well - especially if your TV supports HDMI CEC (then the TV remote should become the XBMC remote).

Yep my Sandisk class 6 should show up tomorrow....I'll be testing on a monitor with USB but I have a charger....and the rest all ready to go really.

Think that memory leak is alsa? Thanks for the tips, should be easy enough to get it going. I will try and see if I an hack in some ARM support using python's os.platform or similar...should be do-able.

OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Unfortunately the whole thing locked up - no response to SSH session or keyboard - so hard to diagnose.

But - Squeezeplay by itself worked OK from command line on same system - with XBMC shutdown.
(RC3 of Raspbmc allows you to exit and hit escape when a message pops up to drop to terminal session - otherwise XBMC gets restarted)

I might try with a different memory allocation on boot (different start.elf) and see if it makes a difference. However, giving more to the OS means taking it away from GPU which might mean that video doesn't play well.
Ok so I have my pi up and running and have added system detection code for raspbmc and (maybe) arm in general. Works on Raspbmc, not sure about OE/Pi - if someone is running that I'd lvoe to know the output of Python's os.uname() Smile

But yeah it seems to lock up and is quite slow so far. I am testing on a system without audio so can't try much yet but I thought I'd get the basics going. I'll push out a new version of XSqueeze with the arm binary and detection in place to make it easier.....soon...
It doesn't seem to me like the lock up is XBMC per se - it's not eating up mem (according to top), or CPU for that matter. I see errors with avahi and procps?

(and I can actually kill XSqueeze with escape even though it's not updating the screen anymore it seems...)
(my guess is it's the alpha alsa...)
How does one make the sudo modprobe snd-bcm2835 thingy permenant? I thought if I put such a snd-bcm2835.conf (empty) file in /etc/modprobe.d/ it would auto load it but apparently not? Hints, I'm not a huge linux user....
Can someone help me with the following:
1. Where do I find the dependencies for xsqueeze? not able to install at the moment and the add-on is marked as broken
2. Are there any logfiles anywhere for xsqueeze?
(2012-06-28, 16:13)AtteB Wrote: Can someone help me with the following:
1. Where do I find the dependencies for xsqueeze? not able to install at the moment and the add-on is marked as broken
2. Are there any logfiles anywhere for xsqueeze?

1- As a guess, I had dependency issues a while back when the Artist Slideshow addon did not install properly... you could try installing that separately.
- I just reloaded using a Frodo alpha build with no problems, and I am not seeing it marked as 'broken'.

2-Just the xbmc.log file.... that should give you an idea of what it is having trouble with.

When you went to install, what was the version of Xsqueeze? Make sure it is 0.5.5.... if not you may need to force the Repo to update.

Also, what version of XBMC, Hardware, etc would help a lot.
I have seen this occasionally on fresh xbmc installs - I think it's because the xbmc repo hasn't updated itself yet...basically, just force refresh the xbmc.org refresh (right click/contect menu -> fore crefresh) and do the same for the bossanova808 one, and then wait for maybe an hour at most, and it should no longer be marked as broken.

Let me know if that doesn't work and I can look into it further but I am pretty sure it's just a startup type glitch....in a way, xbmc should maybe keep you out of the addons section till it's done its first update or something.
So how annoying do you folks find the kind of double display overlay issues (e.g. volume/next track pop up notice from xbmc when these should be XSqueeze only things)....the reason they occur is there is no way to absorb input events in addons -> they always get passed through to XBMC even if you handle them in the addon. I wanted obvious remote control compatibility so that's why it works this way, but I have worked out there might be a gross hack to solve this

(basically, I would, on XSqueeze start, put in a temporary keymap in your keymaps foler, fore a reload of keymaps, then on exit delete this file and restore your normal keymap.

Pros - should be able to remove the annoying messages
Cons - if XSqueeze/XBMC crashes, this keymap would be left behind and might screw up your normal XBMC functioning (particularly volume and skip forward/back) - until XSqueeze was next run and then exited.

It won't be too hard technically I think (ha!) - and would definitely make XSqueeze a bit nicer, but I am worried about the side effects.

(2012-06-29, 05:53)bossanova808 Wrote: So how annoying do you folks find the kind of double display overlay issues (e.g. volume/next track pop up notice from xbmc when these should be XSqueeze only things)....the reason they occur is there is no way to absorb input events in addons -> they always get passed through to XBMC even if you handle them in the addon. I wanted obvious remote control compatibility so that's why it works this way, but I have worked out there might be a gross hack to solve this

(basically, I would, on XSqueeze start, put in a temporary keymap in your keymaps foler, fore a reload of keymaps, then on exit delete this file and restore your normal keymap.

Pros - should be able to remove the annoying messages
Cons - if XSqueeze/XBMC crashes, this keymap would be left behind and might screw up your normal XBMC functioning (particularly volume and skip forward/back) - until XSqueeze was next run and then exited.

It won't be too hard technically I think (ha!) - and would definitely make XSqueeze a bit nicer, but I am worried about the side effects.

As long as you have a way to clean up after a crash (go into XSqueeze and back out), I see no harm in it. More times than not, if your in XSqueeze and it crashes, your just going to go back into it anyway Smile
Ok 0.5.6 just pushed has very minor changes to support ARM, only tested with Raspbmc on Raspberry Pi.

Next will be the above keymap changes when I have a moment....
I've been having some trouble with downloads from my repo lately, though - is this working for others? A force refresh find the update and triggers the download but it never actually comes....debug logging isn't helping so I want to see if this is an issue for others, and if so I will try and get some help on it....

(2012-06-27, 08:34)bossanova808 Wrote: How does one make the sudo modprobe snd-bcm2835 thingy permenant? I thought if I put such a snd-bcm2835.conf (empty) file in /etc/modprobe.d/ it would auto load it but apparently not? Hints, I'm not a huge linux user....

Easy way is to add snd-bcm2835 to the end of the text file /etc/modules
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ARCHIVED - WON'T UPDATE] XSqueeze - Squeezebox player for XBMC3