• 40(current)
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only
Is anybody testing how's AE working with analog outputs?
@knight2000 : yes, with a M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card, set up with 192 000kHz output.
It work great, in Wasapi and DirectSound. Why?
Hi all, having issues again when playing any mp3 file i get no audio any ideas on how to fix this? cheers

pastebin log
9.1 Cinema Room htpc with Kodi Matrix & emby server~Epson EH-TW9300~Homemade 8ft pj screen~AVR~Yamaha RX-A3070~Speakers~Monitor Audio RX6 Fronts & RX Centre~RXFX Surrounds~250's Rears~180's Front Presence~BK XXLS400 Sub~8033C AntiMode~HarmonyOne

(2012-07-05, 15:04)lndiana Wrote: @knight2000 : yes, with a M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card, set up with 192 000kHz output.

I ask because i tried one of the recent builds and sound did work but the speaker mapping was not right. Like on a 7.1 configuration xbmc was playing 7.1 test files as a 5.1 setup meaning side tracks and rear tracks were being played thru the side speakers. Windows is setup as 7.1 so its xbmc, so makes me wonder :/

PS: The Test track is from http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-d...ailers.php and its named hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless

(2012-07-06, 08:50)knight2000 Wrote:
(2012-07-05, 15:04)lndiana Wrote: @knight2000 : yes, with a M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card, set up with 192 000kHz output.

I ask because i tried one of the recent builds and sound did work but the speaker mapping was not right. Like on a 7.1 configuration xbmc was playing 7.1 test files as a 5.1 setup meaning side tracks and rear tracks were being played thru the side speakers. Windows is setup as 7.1 so its xbmc, so makes me wonder :/

PS: The Test track is from http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-d...ailers.php and its named hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless

please poste log file
Been following this development for a while, and first wanted to thank all involved developers for such a great job.

There is one issue with the current AE development pertaining to ATI HDMI chips. And if this has been resolved at some point, then apologies for reiterating it. Basically, the AE implementation currently works great with ATI's in-house HDMI drivers, but it doesn't seem to initialize or work at all when using Realtek's HDMI drivers. I believe this is because AE only uses the WASAPI 'Event Mode' interface. ATI's drivers support 'event mode,' but Realtek's drivers do not. I have also verified this with Foobar's WASAPI implementation --- normal exclusive mode works perfectly on Realtek's drivers, but the 'Event Mode' option returns an "Invalid Argument" error code.

Now, the obvious solution would be simply to install ATI's drivers, but in many other respects Realtek's drivers are superior. Realtek's drivers tend to cause fewer handshake issues with some receivers, they support 32bit audio paths (ATI's are limited to 24bit), they handle atypical channel outputs more consistently (3.0 in particular), and most importantly, they support Windows audio enhancements such as 'speaker fill.' Like some users, I particularly need speaker fill (for various boring reasons pertaining to computer games and Netflix), so I'm stuck with the Realtek drivers. And FWIW, Realtek's drivers tend to get updated more frequently and, of course, they themselves actually make the HDMI chips, so the ATI drivers are really just delayed, modified versions of the Realtek ones anyway.

All other media software I've used has always defaulted to normal WASAPI exclusive mode and then provided 'Event Mode' as an option, usually with a warning that 'your hardware might not support this.' So that might be the best way to go with XBMC, as well. Of course, I'm just an audio engineer and not a programmer, so I might be gabbing out my backside, so to speak Smile
Hello,

Amazing to have bitstreaming working in the nightly builds.

I am running the last June build and hving issues with LPCM audio.

Specifically Dinosaur, Cars and Cars 2. The video just stutters and there is no audio. This is 24bit LPCM audio and fails when played from ISO and MKV. Although the 6 channel FLAC plays just fine.

Hopefully you can work this out since their are a good number of LPCM titles out there and in my collection.

Please let me know if you need me to provide anything to help you troubleshoot this.

Thank you,

Druthers
(2012-07-06, 09:44)Nimo Wrote:
(2012-07-06, 08:50)knight2000 Wrote:

please poste log file

Here are 2 logs i made, first one is using the Wasapi Output and the Second one is using Directsound. Only with directsound i was able to get sound to play.

However looking at the log the file is being recognized as a 6 channel DTS-HD MA track when it is a 8 channel DTS-HD MA which is probably the reasson why the speaker mapping is not right.

Using Wasapi Output

Using Directsound Output
I've found that I cannot use external players in playercorefactory if I use WASAPI, because of the exclusive mode preventing foobar2000 to play audio using WASAPI, even though XBMC is hidden. Is there any way to fix it?
Since switching to an AudioEngine build (using analogue output), I've had the two following problems,

* Pausing or skipping will on rare occasions cause the audio stream to corrupt and slowdown causing jerky and slowed playback.
* Playback of a TS stream with an audio format switch results in the same corrupted audio stream and jerky slowed playback.

I suspect that there's no robust checking that the audio-stream being sent to decoding is still in the format/state being expected?
(2012-07-06, 18:30)flanger216 Wrote: Been following this development for a while, and first wanted to thank all involved developers for such a great job.

There is one issue with the current AE development pertaining to ATI HDMI chips. And if this has been resolved at some point, then apologies for reiterating it. Basically, the AE implementation currently works great with ATI's in-house HDMI drivers, but it doesn't seem to initialize or work at all when using Realtek's HDMI drivers. I believe this is because AE only uses the WASAPI 'Event Mode' interface. ATI's drivers support 'event mode,' but Realtek's drivers do not. I have also verified this with Foobar's WASAPI implementation --- normal exclusive mode works perfectly on Realtek's drivers, but the 'Event Mode' option returns an "Invalid Argument" error code.

Now, the obvious solution would be simply to install ATI's drivers, but in many other respects Realtek's drivers are superior. Realtek's drivers tend to cause fewer handshake issues with some receivers, they support 32bit audio paths (ATI's are limited to 24bit), they handle atypical channel outputs more consistently (3.0 in particular), and most importantly, they support Windows audio enhancements such as 'speaker fill.' Like some users, I particularly need speaker fill (for various boring reasons pertaining to computer games and Netflix), so I'm stuck with the Realtek drivers. And FWIW, Realtek's drivers tend to get updated more frequently and, of course, they themselves actually make the HDMI chips, so the ATI drivers are really just delayed, modified versions of the Realtek ones anyway.

All other media software I've used has always defaulted to normal WASAPI exclusive mode and then provided 'Event Mode' as an option, usually with a warning that 'your hardware might not support this.' So that might be the best way to go with XBMC, as well. Of course, I'm just an audio engineer and not a programmer, so I might be gabbing out my backside, so to speak Smile

I would agree with your analysis as regards Realtek's drivers and the need to support their operating mode in AE. I (like many others) had Realtek drivers installed in preference to the standard ATI/AMD HDMI sound drivers as they "just work" for most Windows applications and provide extra audio enhancements as you say. Myself and a few others have been able to get AE working by replacing the Realtek with the standard ATI drivers, but I suspect not everyone will be bothered to do so (or may have no option but to stick with Realtek for various reasons). I am still having some format handling issues, such as 5.0 PCM audio not working, but I'm not sure if this is a problem with the standard ATI driver or an internal issue in xbmc. Either way, I'm sure DDDamien will comment when he returns from his break. Big Grin
Odroid N2+ and Venz V10Pro (S905X), Sony DN1080 AVR, Samsung 49" LCD, Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers
I was able to get LPCM working through 24bit FLAC. Not very fun considering most tools for 24bit 5.1 48khz conversion to FLAC just give you 16bit 5.1 FLAC. Even VLC, which really disappoints me.

Had to resort to EAC3TO. The 24bit 5.1 48khz FLAC file muxed into the MKV file plays nicely.

Still no luck with 24bit 5.1 48khz WAV or W64 files, which are recognized by VLC.

Druthers
Tested XBMC 12 Alpha 3.

If I set audio output to HDMI WSAPI: AMD the video is choppy (~10 frames per second), if I use normal sound output (WSAPI) than it's smooth.
Hi all.

So, for XBMC AudioEngine in Windows 7, which card is generally considered the best option? Nvidia GT430? or ATI6450? or another entirely?

Ive been searching around, but i cant seem to find an answer as to which is best for both Bitstreaming and 24p, and which is the most compatible with XBMC AudioEngine?

Thanks in advance guys
The 6450 is a good choice (what i'm using). Smooth playback, excellent switching to 24p, hd audio, 3D. Great little card for an HTPC.

Cheers Wink
  • 40(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only3