• 10(current)
iPad 3 and xbmc?
Well after much fighting with the HDMI cord I got XBMC outputting video correctly.

First lesson is that the Apple A/V adapter is apparently very sensitive to cables. All the cables I tested have worked flawlessly with every other device in m house, but Apples abomination refused to work with one cable and produced an notable picture instability with intermittent black flicker on another.

The second lesson I learned is that apps apparently have three different variations for display output:
- Native output which fills the screen (Videos app and YouTube) do this.
- Mirroring (4:3 copy of everything on iPad), the default for most apps.
- In between. A widescreen hybrid that must have been designed to make people hate their TV and/or Apple. It is 16:9, but doesn't fill the width or height. (Hulu and Netflix are great examples of this stupidity).

When I first started XBMC and switched to display 2 it was apparently in in between mode. After some testing I went back to XBMC and it now fills the screen properly on both 720p and 1080p displays. Combined with XBMC remote app on my android phone, I have a near perfect portable home theater machine.

One more question though. Is output and/or bitstreaming of 5.1 codecs (non-HD) such as DTS and DD supported over HDMI on iPad? If not, is it something that's planned or more of a "hey that would be nice, but don't hold your breath and definitely don't go bugging devs about it" feature?
At least bitstreaming is not working for me. It only produces static noise. On ATV2 we had that issue and there is a setting in iOS wich sets Audioformat to 16Bit which fixes the static.

On all other iOS devices (iPad and so on) there is no such setting. So we are not able atm to solve that problem. Technically it has to be possible to bitstream like with the ATV2 - but iOS hides this from us.

Edit: - as of reading the specs of iPad2 and iPad3 these 2 support 5.1 passthrough. If someone is able to test it i could figure out what to change in guisettings.xml for setting up HDMI + 5.1 + DD/DTS Capable receiver for a quick test.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I'd be willing to test. I have an ipad 3 and since I've been too lazy to list my ipad 2 on ebay, I still have one of those on hand as well.
Will the audio amplification available in the next nightly release ?
It is quite important for us. Is the new audio engine capable of any preamp ?
THANKS for the Good Work !
No, audio amplification will not be available in the next nightly release (given that they're nightly, and it ain't in)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

And will it be available in the next satble release ?
Or will be available in the future ?
I think it is a very important feature and We're missing it.
I don'tt want to re-encode all of mi videos, movies to gain some volume Sad
Next stable version is (at the very least) 6-7 months away.
I love xbmc on my iPad.the version I have is directly from cydia.
I have a dedicated computer running openelec xbmc and the shares all work great for locally streaming movies.
My issue is I also want to stream movies and tv series when away from home.
I have tried ice films plugin which works fine until I select something to watch and it then shows an empty menu for sources.does anyone know if there is a fix for this or perhaps another plugin similar that does work?
My thanks in advance!
(2012-07-05, 09:54)tsddave Wrote: I love xbmc on my iPad.the version I have is directly from cydia.
I have a dedicated computer running openelec xbmc and the shares all work great for locally streaming movies.
My issue is I also want to stream movies and tv series when away from home.
I have tried ice films plugin which works fine until I select something to watch and it then shows an empty menu for sources.does anyone know if there is a fix for this or perhaps another plugin similar that does work?
My thanks in advance!

Sorry, no Icefilms help allowed on xbmc.org. You'll have to use http://xbmchub.com for that instead.

Sorry, no Icefilms help allowed on xbmc.org. You'll have to use http://xbmchub.com for that instead.

Sorry I didn't know that,no harm intended Smile

(2012-07-05, 09:54)tsddave Wrote: I love xbmc on my iPad.the version I have is directly from cydia.

would love to see vids of it in action! Angel
(2012-07-06, 00:47)PantsOnFire Wrote:

would love to see vids of it in action! Angel

Heres a quick video I made of the OpenElec xbmc :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORdC9KX73...ture=g-upl
I will sort something out for showing the ipad xbmc shortly.

I am using the xbmc installed from cydia on my iPad 3 and it works great currently I have not scanned in normally and just access my videos through files view which works just as well the great thing about this is the ability to stream my content no matter where I am in my house. I too have an Openelec setup on my two hype boxes one in the main lounge room and the other in my bedroom and I prefer Openelec over windows not only for the speed and lightness but overall I find it easier to use and tweak my mce remote even appears to be more responsive and I created my pen custom keymap for it

Another cool feature of having an iPod and Openelec Is the AirPlay works without any hassle I tried in windows and it wouldnt work properly for me however in Openelec all I had to do was tick the airplay option in settings and I could stream videos music and pictures to my big tv straight away from my iPad this is great when you have a group of people trying to look at a video I recorded or a photo. I have taken instead of all trying to look at the iPad screen at the same time

I would create some videos to show you how it works but the only video camera I have is on the iPad I might see what I can do I might be able to borrow a camera
thanks for the great work! ipad 3 user here. Any idea when 1080p vids will be rendered at 1080p? right now even though the ui is in native res 1080p vids are rendered at a lower res. thanks again
Quote:Heres a quick video I made of the OpenElec xbmc :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORdC9KX73...ture=g-upl
I will sort something out for showing the ipad xbmc shortly.

Sweet, cheers for the link. I subscribed to your channel.
There was a dude I chat to recently on YouTube who has a vid of xbmc on his ipad. He said there is no media library functionality available which surely must be incorrect! ;p
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iPad 3 and xbmc?0