• 8(current)
Ordered MK802
Can't decide between the MK802 and the OE branded device. Any thoughts on them?
(2012-07-18, 19:51)madgeek Wrote: Can't decide between the MK802 and the OE branded device. Any thoughts on them?

Just received both of them. Shall I do some sort of comparison type of review?

please do!!
(2012-07-18, 21:31)j1nx Wrote:
(2012-07-18, 19:51)madgeek Wrote: Can't decide between the MK802 and the OE branded device. Any thoughts on them?

Just received both of them. Shall I do some sort of comparison type of review?

+1 That would be cool.
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
OK, no problem, but ....

I have absolutely no experience with hardware reviews. Do you guys have any tips? Which aspects to highlight/compare etc.

Give me a day or two.
I received my Oval Elephant yesterday. It has a very nice feel to it. The outer casing reminds me of an apple newton.(it almost feels soft)

-It plays pretty much everything I've thrown at it. I did have to install MX Player to play avi's in software mode.(MX Player can also play mkv's, mp4's in hardware mode)
-720p output is great.
-In settings-->display you can change resolutions and overscan options.(1080p did not work for me though...it just blinks every 30 seconds or so)
-Play Store works well, I was able to install ES File Manager and MX Player without problems.
-WIFI seems to work well and is pretty quick. I haven't run speedtest yet.
-The Shutdown command works and actually turns off the device.(I've heard on the MK802 this is not the case due to the missing AXP209).

I'll be buying a gender changer for the HDMI so I can use it with my htpc HDMI cable because getting to the back of my tv can be a bit of a problem.

I can't wait for the XBMC android port to come out of pre-alpha with some hardware decoding. As of right now is software mode it playing an avi it drops 3 frames a second.

All in all I'm really happy with my Oval Elephant. It works very well.
(2012-07-18, 22:50)j1nx Wrote: OK, no problem, but ....

I have absolutely no experience with hardware reviews. Do you guys have any tips? Which aspects to highlight/compare etc.

Give me a day or two.

follow your instincts
I'm glad to hear people are posting their liking of the Oval Elephant in this forum. We open a forum of our own http://www.ovalelephant.com/forum so you may find additional information including updates, various builds and troubleshooting steps.
J1nx is also in the process of porting Linaro for OE and has an alpha build which more information can be found in our forum. I will continuously check this and many other postings to assist in questions, updates, etc.

As for 1080p running on Android XBMC, the answer is NO right now. The hardware encoding/decoding is still a work in progress. So all rendering is done in software right now.

As for Plex, we use it all of the time and love it due to the categorizing and poster art it creates. We run wirelessly on an Airport Extreme set at 20MB in Plex and stream 1080mkv videos with no issues so far.

Thanks again,
OE
$51.49 including delivery on flea bay from China. Might be worth a punt.
Well they just release the MK802 v2 that we are naming Curved Kangaroo. It has a few changes including the AXP209 power chip and HDMI ESD RClamps. They've changed the USB input/ouput ports. Take a look at a longer description at our site: http://www.ovalelephant.com/index.php?ro...ct_id=2074

We are continuing the OE and trying to build the Round Rhino but we've been cheated by a factory and trying to financially recover.
Check this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdAivFyzecw
Got the xbmc running on MK802, live tv streaming. It works awesome. You can use a mouse for clicking which wasnt working before
Thread Resurection!

I was under the impression that XMBC on the mk802 lacked ahrdware video accelration. I'd love to see it work. Personally for my video streaming on my box I use EMIT. However it lacks the pretty interface that XBMC features. However it does support server side transcoding and connecting to the server over the internet. I also have an mk808 that I want to try out as well with xbmc though.
I'm losing track... So there is still no HW decoding support for this device? That's a shame. It would make the device (the chipset at least) immensely popular. I would buy several!

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
There's hardware decoding for some other Android video apps out there, but not for XBMC.
I know this thread has been quiet for awhile... can anyone tell me if the video problems got resolved for the MK802 running XBMC? I have one but kind of gave up on it around last August.

In not-too technical terms - can you run XBMC on an MK802 and watch HD video or is it still too slow and choppy? If yes can anyone point me in the right direction?

If no are the newer models any better? I really just want a similar small device that I can have a full XBMC experience on including LiveTV + PVR (using a HD Homerun network tuner, not expecting a tuner to be included Big Grin )

Many thanks
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ordered MK8023