Apple TV style photo screensaver
I searched the threads and found only one instance of this from a couple of years ago with no response. I recently installed XBMC Eden on my Apple TV (Take 1-Silver) and it works great. I really like the interface better than the original ATV except for the photo screensaver. I really like the original ATV photo screensaver with the floating photos and transistions. I enabled the photo screensaver on XBMC and the pictures work but they do not have the "floating effect" and swirling transitions like ATV.

My wife and I REALLY like the ATV photo screensaver and is the only drawback from installing Crystalbuntu and XBMC permanantly on my ATV hard drive instead of USB drive.

Any plans on making the XBMC photo screensaver similar to the ATV? If not is there any add ons that woruld provide similar functionality?
I would love to have this as well. I'd even be willing to put up some cash for it. Or donate to XBMC. Whatever the developer would want.
XBMC Frodo RC2 | 3.2GHz AMD Phenom II | ASUS M4A88TD-V | 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws | Crucial M4 64GB SSD | Windows 7 Premium
(2012-03-19, 16:32)adamomg Wrote: I would love to have this as well. I'd even be willing to put up some cash for it. Or donate to XBMC. Whatever the developer would want.

I second that! I would also be willing to put up some cash Or donate to XBMC!
I use this feature all the time on my ATV. Just put on some music and let the screen saver play. Freinds and family LOVE IT!
Would be great to have in XBMC!

I want to install Crystalbuntu on my ATV hard drive instead of running from a USB drive for 1080p Video playback. Not having this feature is the only thing stopping me from doing so.

Let me also add to this. I'm a REGULAR xbmc user but the screensaver is very lacklustre. In fact I'm here because I just searched on 'windows 7 screensaver like apple tv' in Google.

I'll put up $20 for such a screensaver in XBMC. Can't be too hard. Seriously, there is nothing like this anywhere for Windows that I have found. All the photo screensavers are very cheesy.
I agree 100%. Due to some reasons I wont go into I am trying Windows Media Centre on Windows 8 at the moment to see how it goes. For music and videos it is behind XBMC, but the photo screensaver / slideshow is way better than XBMC's. I actually prefer it to ATVs too - ATVs looks nice, but WMC does some cool tricks in there too. What is there that is better than this as now the family will not let me go back to XBMC,
Agreed! Please keep me posted on this - I'm holding off on getting a new device until I can find one that can play music/playlists while playing a photo slideshow screensaver like Apple TV. I still can't believe Apple TV doesn't support remote content from a NAS natively. That would solve my problem right there...
I started adding the possibility for python based screensavers, see here.

This makes it much easier to create new screensavers and also allows having music played and screensaver running the same time.

I also started developing a similar screensaver like the ATV1 one - but it will take some time and also needs a new xbmc version.

regards,
sphere
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
Thanks sphere. XBMC is no longer front and centre in the house as the family voted for the Windows Media Centre solely due to the screensaver for the following reasons:

1. Does some nice grouping of photos
2. Shows the dates on the pictures - only way we can tell our daughters apart sometimes!

Here is a link to it - its about half way through: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PouPL06PI...h_response
I am also quite fond of the ATV2/3 screensaver, and I would like to get into XBMC python development, So, that might be a nice project for me. I do have a question. As can be seen in the video , I need some 3D library for the rotational effects. Does XBMC already uses a python library for that and if so, which one. If not, what would be the best choice, keeping the multiplatform requirements of XBMC.
OK, after doing some googling and all, I found the pi3d library, which seems to be able to do what I want but only for the Raspberry Pi. As I am planning to use those for my XBMC setup exclusively that would be great. PI3D, however, only uses OpenGLES. Another possibility is using pygame, which is more multiplatform. Some advice from seasoned devs would be great...
You can't use any python based 3D library direct within XBMC.

You need to use python code to manipulate xbmc window element's positions, dimensions, transitions, etc..
Of course you could use any mathematical library for that if needed.

See for example the facebook media script, it implements an own slideshow window: http://code.google.com/p/facebook-media/...ult.py#209

regards,
sphere
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
Thanks sphere, I will look into that. Meanwhile, some questions:

1. So, as long as I use XMBC classes i'm sure it will work cross platform?
2. Do you know if the XBMC classes are capable of something like the video in the first post of this thread?

FredSki
(2012-08-31, 14:40)fredski Wrote: 1. So, as long as I use XMBC classes i'm sure it will work cross platform?
Yes.
(2012-08-31, 14:40)fredski Wrote: 2. Do you know if the XBMC classes are capable of something like the video in the first post of this thread?
Should be doable Wink

But in general: At the moment it is still not possible to create screensavers in python - this will be possible in the future but not at the moment.
You would have to create a script-addon - but the logic and code will mostly be the same (except starting and exiting) in the future python screensavers.

My GitHub. My Add-ons:
(2012-06-19, 10:47)sphere Wrote: I started adding the possibility for python based screensavers, see here.

This makes it much easier to create new screensavers and also allows having music played and screensaver running the same time.

I also started developing a similar screensaver like the ATV1 one - but it will take some time and also needs a new xbmc version.

regards,
sphere

Would it be possible to create this style of screensaver for the next XBMC Version, Frodo?
Are you working on anything?
I would also love to have this screensaver to show off all my photos! Is there anything in the making?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV style photo screensaver0