• 18(current)
[AudioEngine] Support for AE on Windows platform
(2012-08-31, 16:54)DDDamian Wrote: Great voyager - take a look by all means. The threading priorities haven't changed, so that's unlikely to be an issue. If you post a log I'll look thru it.

FYI, I haven't seen this on my setup using CCC 12.4 or 12.6 - haven't tried 12.8 yet.

thanks Damian. I have tried all CCC, starting from 12.3 to 12.8, even some betas. Each time I uninstalled, used Driver Fusion/Driver Sweeper to clean registry remnants. I wonder, what CPU/GPU are you on? It might be only visible on low-power ones such as the Fusion (E-450) or the A6 that Hugeman is reporting...
Also, bear in mind that this only happens to me when screen is refreshing at double FPS rate (so 50 Hz for a 25 fps video - once I force deinterlacing, the issue goes away).
@Voyager - I use an ATI 6450 with a quad-core processor. More than happy to let you work thru this one and if you need any guidance or have any questions let me know. As mentioned if you want to post a log I'll review.

@garysday - the preferred driver is definitely going to be WASAPI - for audio quality as well as passthrough capabilities. It is far more tempermental than DS in that everything has to be absolutely correct in terms of output format and hardware capabilites, but as long as those are correct you will have better sound and untouched AC3/DTS and other encoded formats.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I tried the latest nightly(XBMCSetup-20120828-9c3c4de-master) and while AC3 and DTS plays just fine, Stereo Output of mp3 or flac through SPDIF/WASAPI isn´t working.
There is a chance I misconfigured something so I attached the audiooutput-guisettings in front of the debug log.

Setup:
HTPC: i3-530 HD Graphic, (Win8 RTM)
AV: Denon AVR 3803 | connected with SPDIF
TV: Toshiba 42XV632D | connected with HDMI

If there is a problem and someone needs more logs i´m happy to provide them.
(2012-08-31, 18:05)solidsatras Wrote: I tried the latest nightly(XBMCSetup-20120828-9c3c4de-master) and while AC3 and DTS plays just fine, Stereo Output of mp3 or flac through SPDIF/WASAPI isn´t working.
There is a chance I misconfigured something so I attached the audiooutput-guisettings in front of the debug log.

Setup:
HTPC: i3-530 HD Graphic, (Win8 RTM)
AV: Denon AVR 3803 | connected with SPDIF
TV: Toshiba 42XV632D | connected with HDMI

If there is a problem and someone needs more logs i´m happy to provide them.

Code:
<audiooutput>
        <ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
        <audiodevice></audiodevice>
        <channellayout>10</channellayout>
        <dtshdpassthrough>true</dtshdpassthrough>
        <dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>
        <guisoundmode>1</guisoundmode>
        <mode>1</mode>
        <multichannellpcm>true</multichannellpcm>
        <normalizelevels>false</normalizelevels>
        <passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
        <passthroughdevice>WASAPI:{F93C8EA0-B98A-4F02-8993-E19DCE5CD3F2}</passthroughdevice>
        <stereoupmix>false</stereoupmix>
        <truehdpassthrough>true</truehdpassthrough>
    </audiooutput>

You need to select an audio device for non-passthrough, disable DTS-HD, TrueHD and MultichannelLPCM - none of those are possible over spdif. Also check that your device type (first setting on GUI page) is optical.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Oh silly me, the problem was with my RDP configuration it tried to play the sound to my
desktop machine and it messed up the standard output.
Of course it works now, thank you DDDamian.
(2012-08-31, 16:59)Voyager-xbmc Wrote:
(2012-08-31, 16:54)DDDamian Wrote: Great voyager - take a look by all means. The threading priorities haven't changed, so that's unlikely to be an issue. If you post a log I'll look thru it.

FYI, I haven't seen this on my setup using CCC 12.4 or 12.6 - haven't tried 12.8 yet.

thanks Damian. I have tried all CCC, starting from 12.3 to 12.8, even some betas. Each time I uninstalled, used Driver Fusion/Driver Sweeper to clean registry remnants. I wonder, what CPU/GPU are you on? It might be only visible on low-power ones such as the Fusion (E-450) or the A6 that Hugeman is reporting...
Also, bear in mind that this only happens to me when screen is refreshing at double FPS rate (so 50 Hz for a 25 fps video - once I force deinterlacing, the issue goes away).

Good news. I have isolated the commit that causes the fps instability. It's a commit from June 6th, the one from WiSo that removes SDL. I have not yet found out why but that's definitely the one. I'll keep you posted.
I'm curious too what of this commit could cause it. SDL was already gone. The commit just removes the define and the dll. Keep us posted.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
@WiSo - the only differences I can see are the calls to SDL_Init() and atexit() in CApplication... Those could have an impact on system behavior, so it's more than just removing define + DLL. I know it's really weird but it does indeed resolve the issue.
Still since we don't use SDL for Video/Audio nor Inputhandling anymore I wonder how it could affect it. Anyway maybe dddamian has an idea.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
(2012-09-01, 16:53)WiSo Wrote: Still since we don't use SDL for Video/Audio nor Inputhandling anymore I wonder how it could affect it. Anyway maybe dddamian has an idea.

I was more thinking along the lines of possible DX device initialisation inside SDL that could affect timers, video, audio etc.
A brief look reviled nothing but I could miss something.
(2012-09-01, 18:14)WiSo Wrote: A brief look reviled nothing but I could miss something.

@WiSo - as said, I have reverted the commit and everything works great. Just to test the theory a bit further, I commented out the call to SDL_Init in CApplication::CreateGUI (around line 800, inside #ifdef HAS_SDL block) plus the associated if block... and voila, the problem is back!
So this proves that the removal of SDL (and implicitly the call to SDL_Init) has caused all this.
So even though SDL_Init is called with no flags (0), somehow, stuff gets initialized that influences the stability of video playback.
I checked out SDL source code here, and all I see is threading initialization, and timer ticks initialization. All other subsystems are not started because of the "0" parameter. Back to the timer ticker. On Windows SDL calls QueryPerformanceCounter(). That's as far as my analysis goes, everything else would be speculation.
(2012-09-01, 23:23)Voyager-xbmc Wrote:
(2012-09-01, 18:14)WiSo Wrote: A brief look reviled nothing but I could miss something.

@WiSo - as said, I have reverted the commit and everything works great. Just to test the theory a bit further, I commented out the call to SDL_Init in CApplication::CreateGUI (around line 800, inside #ifdef HAS_SDL block) plus the associated if block... and voila, the problem is back!
So this proves that the removal of SDL (and implicitly the call to SDL_Init) has caused all this.
So even though SDL_Init is called with no flags (0), somehow, stuff gets initialized that influences the stability of video playback.
I checked out SDL source code here, and all I see is threading initialization, and timer ticks initialization. All other subsystems are not started because of the "0" parameter. Back to the timer ticker. On Windows SDL calls QueryPerformanceCounter(). That's as far as my analysis goes, everything else would be speculation.

The WASAPI sink also uses QueryPerformanceCounter frequently - although it should be a thread-safe call I wonder if that's locking things up briefly. You can test using a debug build - the calls from the sink to the performance counter are ifdef'd out in debug mode. If this stabilizes it we may be closer to an answer.
Hey,
don't know if this was mentioned before, but I get problems playing back more than one file with latest nightlies and frodo_alphas.

I'm playing back files via smb share.
Audio is set to HDMI and Wasapi (doesn't make difference wether wasapi or direct sound).

When playing back a file for the first time after I start xbmc, everything is fine.
When I stop playback and start another file, I get choppy playback with no sound.

When I try to change the audio settings, xbmc crashes.

Just wanted to know if it's a known problem or if there's a solution for this.

If you need more informations or logs, just let me know.

Anyway - keep up the great work!
@sw4y - thx - yes I am having a few issues crop up after adding a suspend/resume feature to AE - working on a patch for it now. Doesn't show up in debug builds, but does in release builds, so looking like a timing issue starting/stopping sinks.
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AudioEngine] Support for AE on Windows platform4