• 33(current)
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker
(2012-09-12, 09:50)Ned Scott Wrote: getafix: you have the port in there twice in your advancedsettings.xml file. Remove the port from the host tag and see if that fixes it.

I tried removing the port after the IP address and XBMC takes ages to load and to navigate around. Adding the port number and it loads fine. I read that sorted out this issue.

I can I see if MySQL is actually been populated??

Thanks

When you add the port to the host line XBMC is not connecting to the MySQL server, so it's just using a local SQL database.
I made the change and removed the port as suggested. XBMC on the server now loads fine, but I am not sure (I don't think that it is) working. Below is the log file taken when watching a movie from my laptop.

http://pastebin.com/pLwJa2gi
(2012-09-13, 07:48)getafix Wrote: I made the change and removed the port as suggested. XBMC on the server now loads fine, but I am not sure (I don't think that it is) working. Below is the log file taken when watching a movie from my laptop.

invalid url
What exactly makes you think its 'not' working? Have you reviewed any tables / rows being generated?
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
(2012-09-13, 07:51)transcender Wrote:
(2012-09-13, 07:48)getafix Wrote: I made the change and removed the port as suggested. XBMC on the server now loads fine, but I am not sure (I don't think that it is) working. Below is the log file taken when watching a movie from my laptop.

invalid url
What exactly makes you think its 'not' working? Have you reviewed any tables / rows being generated?

Sorry about the URL.

http://pastebin.com/BWxy0qTP

How do I check to see the tables / rows.

The way I am checking is to play a movie on the server, pause, and then try and play the same movie on my laptop. The movie starts from the beginning and does not resume.
u should be able to use a mySQL client and make a connection to the database.
http://www.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/
I'd also question your 'validation' test.
This would not alone affirm if the sql dbase is 'working', resuming a movie is a local/skin setting that wouldn't be captured in the database. under settings/videos on both machines is it set to the same? choose/play/resume/show info or whatever?
Something more immediately rendered would be marking something as watched or scanning a new title in the library and seeing it manifest on your other client or really just checking out the tables.
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
Shot for the pointer.

Does the log file attached above indicate anything out the ordinary??
(2012-09-13, 08:06)getafix Wrote: The way I am checking is to play a movie on the server, pause, and then try and play the same movie on my laptop. The movie starts from the beginning and does not resume.

That may be your problem. You actually need to stop it, not pause it.

And give it a little time or FF a bit. If you stop too close the the beginning it sometimes won't actually mark it.

Quote:This would not alone affirm if the sql dbase is 'working', resuming a movie is a local/skin setting that wouldn't be captured in the database. under settings/videos on both machines is it set to the same?
Not quite true. Resuming a "stopped" movie from a certain point is not a skin capability. That relies completely on the database whether local or networked. The thing is, as clambert pointed out, you need to stop it on one system in order to resume on another, as the stop time is what's recorded by the database.

If you want to see if the database is storing the correct information, you can always install something like phpMyAdmin on the same box you have the SQL database running. Then you could open up a web browser, point it to your db machine and look at the tables directly. On my Synology NAS, I have MySQL and phpMyAdmin installed. I can watch in realtime as the database is modified. You could also download and install something like Marischino and set it up to look at a remote database rather than local. The front end for Marischino is much more oriented for a casual user than something like phpMyAdmin.
(2012-09-13, 19:47)pumkinut Wrote:
Quote:This would not alone affirm if the sql dbase is 'working', resuming a movie is a local/skin setting that wouldn't be captured in the database. under settings/videos on both machines is it set to the same?
Not quite true. Resuming a "stopped" movie from a certain point is not a skin capability. That relies completely on the database whether local or networked. The thing is, as clambert pointed out, you need to stop it on one system in order to resume on another, as the stop time is what's recorded by the database.

If you want to see if the database is storing the correct information, you can always install something like phpMyAdmin on the same box you have the SQL database running. Then you could open up a web browser, point it to your db machine and look at the tables directly. On my Synology NAS, I have MySQL and phpMyAdmin installed. I can watch in realtime as the database is modified. You could also download and install something like Marischino and set it up to look at a remote database rather than local. The front end for Marischino is much more oriented for a casual user than something like phpMyAdmin.

I didnt mean it was the skin that enabled that functionality, just that the settings to choose/play/resume/...etc was local. the timestamp index is in the database regardless.
(2012-09-13, 20:33)transcender Wrote:
(2012-09-13, 19:47)pumkinut Wrote:

I didnt mean it was the skin that enabled that functionality, just that the settings to choose/play/resume/...etc was local. the timestamp index is in the database regardless.

Where will I find this setting??

It seems to be working. I marked a movie as watched (ticked) on the server and it appeared marked when accessed from my laptop.
Also, I added another video source on the server and it appeared from my laptop, except the thumbnails weren't there. As far as I understand from wiki, Frodo will import the thumbnails automatically and I don't need to do anything. Is that correct.?

Do the settings on all xbmc pc's need to be the same??

Regards and thanks for the help
Yes, all the settings need to be the same on every clients, source names included. As far as thumbnails are concerned, you may have to give it time to cache everything, and remember Frodo is still in alpha/pre-beta status so using a nightly build is not guaranteed to work for everything.
(2012-09-14, 18:31)pumkinut Wrote: Yes, all the settings need to be the same on every clients, source names included. As far as thumbnails are concerned, you may have to give it time to cache everything, and remember Frodo is still in alpha/pre-beta status so using a nightly build is not guaranteed to work for everything.

For sure, I understand the implications of using a nightly, but for me its working great. HD audio with BR ISO is excellent.

Is there anything I need to add to the advancedsettings.xml file for thumbnails? I added the source 24 hours ago and still no thumbnails for the newly added movies.

Regards
Not sure, I'm not using any AE builds.
(2012-09-14, 21:37)getafix Wrote:
(2012-09-14, 18:31)pumkinut Wrote: Yes, all the settings need to be the same on every clients, source names included. As far as thumbnails are concerned, you may have to give it time to cache everything, and remember Frodo is still in alpha/pre-beta status so using a nightly build is not guaranteed to work for everything.

For sure, I understand the implications of using a nightly, but for me its working great. HD audio with BR ISO is excellent.

Is there anything I need to add to the advancedsettings.xml file for thumbnails? I added the source 24 hours ago and still no thumbnails for the newly added movies.

Regards

Different database versions for starters

If you have installed mysql workbench open it up, select "Server Administration" enter the details for your shared MySQL server.
Now switch on both of your XBMC devices laptops/revo's whatever and check the connections section

You will see both devices connecting into the MySQL Server they will what database they are accessing
You might see a database called MyVideos68 or MyVideos67

What do you see here?
Reckon both devices are using seperate databases... as one xbmc system might be on a new version compared to the other.
depending on the versions and nightlies the db name changes hence why your thumbs aren't getting updated.

• 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker1