• 11(current)
iPad 3 and xbmc?
(2012-07-07, 00:01)PantsOnFire Wrote:
Quote:Heres a quick video I made of the OpenElec xbmc :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORdC9KX73...ture=g-upl
I will sort something out for showing the ipad xbmc shortly.

Sweet, cheers for the link. I subscribed to your channel.
There was a dude I chat to recently on YouTube who has a vid of xbmc on his ipad. He said there is no media library functionality available which surely must be incorrect! ;p

Indeed he is incorrect. XBMC for iOS is a full port of XBMC.
I went on holiday the other week and took my ipad 3 with me.
I travelled by plane and was lucky enough to be on a flight from Norwegian airways and they have wifi in the air. I used ipad xbmc to watch some tv series via streaming whilst in flight!
Once we arrived I hooked it up to the hotel tv and watched some streamed tv series and a movie via xbmc. It was superb!

Having xbmc on an ipad really is fantastic!

So can the latest nightly display full 1080p resolution videos on the new iPad's 2048*1536 display?
(2012-09-04, 15:25)xjoony Wrote: So can the latest nightly display full 1080p resolution videos on the new iPad's 2048*1536 display?

I believe it's still intentionally capped at the old iPad's resolution until some issues are fixed that were causing lots of slowdowns.
Please ipad3 users test this build with 1080p content and give feedback:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30371861/org.xb...pu2gpu.deb

thx
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I have installed the deb provided by Memphiz. I've haven't tried the last nightlies, so I don't know if the new interface is really new, but I'm really impressed. It's a beautiful interface and even more comfortable to use tan the previous one. It seems to properly use the full resolution of the iPad 3. The new music player is nice and fast too.

I have tried almost all my 1080p library. It plays everything right except for two similar files, in which audio and video stutter. I've also played the files locally, to discard network troubles.

This is what VLC says about its codecs:

Emisión 0
Tipo: Vídeo
Códec: H264-MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Idioma: English
Resolución: 1920x1040
Tasa de fotogramas: 25
Formato decodificado: Planar 4:2:0 YUV

Emisión 1
Tipo: audio
Códec: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52)
Canales: 3F2R/LFE
Tasa de muestreo: 48000 Hz
Tasa de bits: 384 kb/s

Emisión 2
Tipo: Audio
Códec: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52)
Descripción: Director's Comments
Canales: 2
Tasa de muestreo: 48000 Hz

Emisión 3
Tipo: Subtítulo
Códec: Text subtitles with various tags (subt)
Idioma: Español
Descripción: Comentarios del director

Please post the output of mediainfo (google for the tool) of that files (the vlc output is not enough to tell anything).

This test build was about to test if 1080p movies get full resolution now (looks like you tested this build without having bitched about the clamped resolution before - so thx for the test - but seems that you are not quiet the target audience).

Who are the users which claimed this is the most important feature to be added for ipad3 and xbmc? ^^
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Ups, sorry, I'm not too used to post in forums. Although I didn't bitch about the clamped resolution of the previous nightlies Big Grin, I was really expecting a thing like this. After playing a lot with the first nightlies until they got clamped, I came back to the "stable" version.

In the first nightlies that didn't have the clamped resolution, most of my files did play at 1080 with bad performance, but a few of them were converted automatically to 1024 (I can't remember the exact resolution). I don't remember why it happened but I remember Davilla (maybe you?) saying that it changed to a low resolution when they file was too heavy for the ipad to handle or something like that. I have tried to remember which files did that before and it seems that now all of them play at real 1080 (I checked this setting zoom to real size).

Please forgive me if I'm messing concepts, it's been two months since my last visit to this forum and more time since I played with the first nightlies. My memory is not too good, but I remembered well about some of the Pixar shorts that stuttered a lot, so I wanted to try them with this new versión and had the same results. That's why I posted the VLC info.

This is the mediainfo output of one of them. Please, tell me if I can help you in any way with this. It seems that all the rest of the people have already bought the ipad 4 or the Nexus 10 and is not anymore concerned about this thread Tongue

General
Unique ID : 194350977848452895992099940717010178470 (0x9236A3050ED32DDCABF1289670DD51A6)
Complete name : D:\Mis Vídeos\Películas\Pixar\13. Abducido (2007) [1080p x264 Bluray]-AJP.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 1
File size : 162 MiB
Duration : 4mn 53s
Overall bit rate : 4 642 Kbps
Movie name : Abducido (2007) [http://www.hd-t.es]
Encoded date : UTC 2007-11-02 13:13:03
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.1.0 ('Another Place To Fall') built on Aug 19 2007 13:40:07
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 16 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 3 941 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 040 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.85:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Original frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.079
Stream size : 139 MiB (86%)
Title : Abducido
Writing library : x264 core 56 svn-681
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=16 / deblock=1:-6:-6 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=64 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=3941 / ratetol=2.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 13.4 MiB (8%)
Title : English
Default : Yes

Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 6.71 MiB (4%)
Title : Director's Comments
Default : No

Text
ID : 4
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Title : Comentarios del director
Language : Spanish
Default : No

Format settings, ReFrames : 16 frames <- no way that this will ever run smooth on the ios hardware decoder. This file is encoded out of spec. Well its out of out of out of spec.

Ref frames for 1080p should be at 5 and not exceed 8 i would say. So this file is a bad test object.
Ok, I understand, after spending a long while in the Wikipedia entry about reference frame :-)

If you want to try a specific type of file, just tell me and I'll be glad to help. Thank you for your work.
Well its more of these kind of files we clamped down the resolution for - not sure how to describe it better (don't have an ipad3). But thx for the offer - we'll just wait for some other ipad3 users i think.
(2012-11-05, 22:30)Memphiz Wrote: Please ipad3 users test this build with 1080p content and give feedback:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30371861/org.xb...pu2gpu.deb

thx

It works great! I played one 1080p mkv (13.5GB) for about 10 minutes. Looks fantastic :-). But somehow I've lost the Touched skin, and had to restore back the old XBMC 11.0 installation. I'll try again.

If you need Mediainfo data, I'll be happy to post it.
Yeah might be that the touched skin is missing in my build. Sry for that. So it looks like ipad3 got the guts for processing 1080p media without clamping. Good to know.

Anyone else? Smile

bodhi yep just out of curiousity i would like to see the mediainfo output (just put it on pastebin.com and put the link to it here).
Tested 1080p MKV:
http://pastebin.com/NkFBdiEr
thx - looks like a sane encoding to me Smile
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iPad 3 and xbmc?0