Android - G-Box Midnight HTPC

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Votes - 3.67 Average
davilla Offline
Retired-Team-XBMC Developer
(2012-11-08 04:25)Xaostic Wrote:  Any news or chance of linux running on this device? It just seems the development of XBMC is to far behind to make my purchase of this box worth it. (Slow menus, constant reboots, etc)

email g-box devs and ask them ... oh wait, what devs Smile

MediaInfo : http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
find quote
danielsolly Offline
I just got my G-Box and I'm having a few issues. The ethernet port does not connect so I'm limited to wifi which is terrible for streaming large files. Also, I have been using an HTPC for a while and I rip my Blurays into folder structure on my network storage. I rip the entire disk. Is there an update or codec that I can add to the G-Box to allow for bluray playback?

thanks,
Daniel
find quote
jadenac Offline
Hi guys, i think i´ve bricked my midnight device after trying a firmware upgrade.
The box give me an error in the middle of the upgrade process and now i dont have video output from the box.
File used was: UWS120710bgzp-121026-2.0
Any thoughts/Help on this?
find quote
Tenny Offline
(2012-11-06 06:22)XBdroidMC Wrote:  
(2012-10-27 18:57)Tenny Wrote:  Lately been running into more issues on this box.

Running the PIVOS 10-09-12 XBMC
Running the 9-25-12 Firmware (not 2.1 revision hardware)

I am also feel the box is just behaving really slowly doing regular tasks. Anyone run into any issues like this?

There is a new 10-26-2012 firmware update for the 2.0 users. Did you get a chance to download and test it out for your revision?

Finally got the chance to flash this last night and it did not improve my situation.

I'm going to try using a local database rather than shared mysql database to see if it improves.
(This post was last modified: 2012-11-08 17:32 by Tenny.)
find quote
Tenny Offline
(2012-11-08 17:32)Tenny Wrote:  
(2012-11-06 06:22)XBdroidMC Wrote:  
(2012-10-27 18:57)Tenny Wrote:  Lately been running into more issues on this box.

Running the PIVOS 10-09-12 XBMC
Running the 9-25-12 Firmware (not 2.1 revision hardware)

I am also feel the box is just behaving really slowly doing regular tasks. Anyone run into any issues like this?

There is a new 10-26-2012 firmware update for the 2.0 users. Did you get a chance to download and test it out for your revision?

Finally got the chance to flash this last night and it did not improve my situation.

I'm going to try using a local database rather than shared mysql database to see if it improves.

Ok so I'm having the same problem when using the local database.

I really think this may be due to the traffic going over SMB... and just how SMB sucks.

I'm going to try later converting it to a NFS Local directory... will post back after.
find quote
Xaostic Offline
(2012-11-08 05:22)davilla Wrote:  
(2012-11-08 04:25)Xaostic Wrote:  Any news or chance of linux running on this device? It just seems the development of XBMC is to far behind to make my purchase of this box worth it. (Slow menus, constant reboots, etc)

email g-box devs and ask them ... oh wait, what devs Smile

lol...... I am thinking different hardware might be in my future. Anyone use a Raspberry PI for xbmc?
find quote
coldlsr77 Offline
@ Tenny

You need to update busybox to setup nfs share on the Gbox. But updating busybox will screw up android system on next reboot.

To get around this go to /system/xbin and copy the files busybox, dexdump, and su, which are the original busybox binaries. Put it away somewhere.

Update busybox from Play store. Mount your nfs share. Confirm it is mounted. Go to /system/xbin and paste/overwrite the busybox binaries you copied earlier.
You have to repeat this step every time nfs is mounted.
If you forget to replace the binaries and your system is messed up the only fix is to reflash the firmware in recovery.
(This post was last modified: 2012-11-08 20:49 by coldlsr77.)
find quote
davilla Offline
Retired-Team-XBMC Developer
(2012-11-08 20:47)coldlsr77 Wrote:  @ Tenny

You need to update busybox to setup nfs share on the Gbox. But updating busybox will screw up android system on next reboot.

To get around this go to /system/xbin and copy the files busybox, dexdump, and su, which are the original busybox binaries. Put it away somewhere.

Update busybox from Play store. Mount your nfs share. Confirm it is mounted. Go to /system/xbin and paste/overwrite the busybox binaries you copied earlier.
If you forget to replace the binaries and your system is messed up the only fix is to reflash the firmware in recovery.

HAHAHAHAHA, you have got to be kidding Smile

MediaInfo : http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
find quote
Djape Offline
(2012-11-08 21:22)davilla Wrote:  HAHAHAHAHA, you have got to be kidding Smile

Well, that's called motivation Smile
find quote
SolarOrbiter Offline
Great job guys, I have read this thread from the first page untill the last one today. I have ordered the gbox, hopefully have it in two weeks

(1) Can anyone tell if they are able to use bluetooth? is there any bluetooth support on the box, anyone has a dongle that is working with the latest fimware?
(2) Is there any way to see what firmware the MB has? apart from the sticker on the back. Can someone post pictures?
find quote
coldlsr77 Offline
After many hours of trial and errors I came to the conclusion that the "busybox method" was the only stable way of mounting nfs share on this particular device.
With this method, the Gbox Midnight might be the only android set-top box on the market that xbmc could wirelessly stream high-bitrate 1080p video while residing in an Android system.

My kids have no problem playing all their favorite android games on a 55" tv. The wife enjoying netflix. This was something our Pivos DS failed miserably.
Yes, on the surface it may seem like an extreme way to mount nfs share, but it really is a couple of clicks of the mouse, copy-paste, update busybox, copy-paste. Done. All in less than 30 seconds. What's the big deal?

My box has been flying stable for the past six weeks with this method. So I really don't get why a prominent xbmc member is laughing at all this. I'm just trying to share my experiences and advice to a fellow member. Really dissapointed at this forum.
find quote
Tenny Offline
(2012-11-08 20:47)coldlsr77 Wrote:  @ Tenny

Actually that's what I did.

NFS is better, but still not there. Playing a 1080p rip still caused it to get out of sync, at least it didn't stop the movie and bring it back to the xbmc home screen.

This method still won't allow me to use a shared mysql db with my ATV2. The ATV2 has a NFS client (i think) within xbmc so you can connect to nfs shares like nfs://ip/share while this is mounted locally and cannot connect the same way. At leasts it allows the box to play videos...
(This post was last modified: 2012-11-09 23:03 by Tenny.)
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
(2012-11-09 17:36)SolarOrbiter Wrote:  Great job guys, I have read this thread from the first page untill the last one today. I have ordered the gbox, hopefully have it in two weeks

(1) Can anyone tell if they are able to use bluetooth? is there any bluetooth support on the box, anyone has a dongle that is working with the latest fimware?
(2) Is there any way to see what firmware the MB has? apart from the sticker on the back. Can someone post pictures?

For most Android boxes that I've read about (and for the two that I have), if they don't come with built-in bluetooth then they probably don't have out-of-the-box support for a USB bluetooth dongle. However, it's possible to use one, but it seems you need to flash your box with a custom Android FW version that has bluetooth enabled.

So search around for general USB bluetooth support for the box. There's a good chance that someone has already set this up and has written up how to do it for others. Once you have general bluetooth support then bluetooth remotes/keyboards should then work inside XBMC. If for some reason it doesn't work in XBMC (like you want to use a bluetooth game controller) then you can probably use something like Bluez IME from the Google Play store (after you have general bluetooth support working, that is).

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around common XBMC words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Video library]] = Video library, [[SMB]] = SMB , [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
find quote
coldlsr77 Offline
(2012-11-09 23:01)Tenny Wrote:  Actually that's what I did.

NFS is better, but still not there. Playing a 1080p rip still caused it to get out of sync, at least it didn't stop the movie and bring it back to the xbmc home screen.

This method still won't allow me to use a shared mysql db with my ATV2. The ATV2 has a NFS client (i think) within xbmc so you can connect to nfs shares like nfs://ip/share while this is mounted locally and cannot connect the same way. At leasts it allows the box to play videos...

The sync issue you having is probrably due to the (10-9-12) version of xbmc. The (9-28-12) xbmc.apk don't have that issue.

@SolarOrbiter

Yes, it has bluetooth. I setup my kids Wii remote on the device just fine.
find quote
pszab Offline
(2012-11-10 05:47)Ned Scott Wrote:  For most Android boxes that I've read about (and for the two that I have), if they don't come with built-in bluetooth then they probably don't have out-of-the-box support for a USB bluetooth dongle. However, it's possible to use one, but it seems you need to flash your box with a custom Android FW version that has bluetooth enabled.

So search around for general USB bluetooth support for the box. There's a good chance that someone has already set this up and has written up how to do it for others. Once you have general bluetooth support then bluetooth remotes/keyboards should then work inside XBMC. If for some reason it doesn't work in XBMC (like you want to use a bluetooth game controller) then you can probably use something like Bluez IME from the Google Play store (after you have general bluetooth support working, that is).

Do the normal RF keyboards work always with these boxes?
find quote