Build Advice - A10 5700 Enough for 3D?
Heya, been lurking around the hardware section for a while but haven't managed to find an answer for this. I'm in the process of building a HTPC for a friend and it will only be used as a media center. I've got no experience at all with viewing ripped 3Dcontent but as he recently bought a 60" Panasonic with support for 3D I imagine there will be some 3D movies played on it. So will a A10 5700 be powerful enough for 3D playback? All I know is that it is supposed to be a lot more taxing on the system then regular 1080p playback but I've got no clue by how much Smile

The shoppinglist so far:
Case - Silverstone Grandia GD05B
MB - ASRock FM2A75M-ITX
CPU - AMD A-Series A10-5700
CPU Fan - Scythe Big Shuriken 2
RAM - G.SKILL Ares 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866 Mhz
SSD - Samsung 830 Series 64GB
OPD - If any just a regular DVD.
PSU - Be-Quiet Pure Power L7 300W

Any advice on the build is appreciated Smile
I really like the build you are making.

Im not completely sure if the A10-5700 could play Full HD SBS 3D movies, but I don't see why not, the integrated graphics those APU have are great.
Let's see what others say, because I would like to build something like that.

If those graphics are not enough, then I would recommend something like a GT 640.
It's a great card for HTPCs

Review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5969/zotac...640-review-
The A10-5700 will be capable playing FullHD SBS videos! Till my update to this APU in my HTPC I used the A6-3500 Liano and even this older APU was nearly OK for playback - only some scenes with high data rate were too much. But now, smooth as it can be.
(2012-11-11, 09:50)TriNitro Wrote: So will a A10 5700 be powerful enough for 3D playback?

Any advice on the build is appreciated Smile
AMD Radeon HD 7660D iGPU should be enough for 3d content. Here is the spec "AMD A-Series Processor-in-a-Box" and the 3dmark is a lot higher than the latest Intel HD4000 too "IGP performance".......

Since your case support Micro-ATX mobo, why not go for the Micro-ATX mobo? It'll give your more room to install memory sticks and CPU cooler, and it'll give you more options for future upgrades too- ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4-M....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Good to know the A10 is enough for Full HD SBS.

If I make the same build, but with a Mini-ITX case.
What should be the best case?

In my country I only have the options for a Antec ISK 300-150 or a ThermalTake Element Q.
But if I can get from USA something with a gross weight around 7 to 9 pounds, I can buy it.
Shipping a Silverstone GD04B-USB3 (around 16 pounds net weight) would cost me like 150 USD, and that is insane.
The A6-PACK will do what you wan't... so yes the A10 will be great. You can get the ISK 300-150 case and use the PSU included but get a Trinity APU with 65 watts.. AMD A6-5400K or so....
What would be the problem if I use the ISK 300-150 with an A10?
Will I need a 160W picoPSU?
The A10-5700 is a 65 watt processor. Getting the 160w PSU with that small of a case would be a good idea for moving the heat out of the case, being completely silent, and should be enough for the A10-5700.
The difference in power usage and heat is pretty dramatic in undervolting and underclocking the A10-5700 CPU and leaving the GPU as-is. That's always an alternative. I am not sure what the value proposition is in that though compared to a different APU, either AMD or Intel.
Thanks for the replies guys, good to know the A10 will work nicely.

bluray: I've done some checking and the memory sticks should clear under the Shuriken. And as for upgrades I think it will do its job as HTPC nicely for a couple of years and by then its time to upgrade pretty much everything anyways Smile
It doesn't say anything about FM2 on the Scythe homepage but I've looked at some boards and it seems it should fit FM2 aswell.
(2012-11-12, 02:10)TriNitro Wrote: Thanks for the replies guys, good to know the A10 will work nicely.
You selected perfect case and PSU for it too......

(2012-11-12, 02:10)TriNitro Wrote: It doesn't say anything about FM2 on the Scythe homepage but I've looked at some boards and it seems it should fit FM2 aswell.
FM1/FM2 shocket shared the same heatsink....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-11-12, 05:58)bluray Wrote: FM1/FM2 shocket shared the same heatsink....

Thats good to know! Might resurrect this thread with some pics of the build later on. Will probably be a couple of weeks before the stuff is ordered though since my friend is away on work atm.
If you are going with the A10 why not go with the A85X mobo. Take advantage of that A10 proc.

ASRock FM2A85X
(2012-11-13, 00:27)drschoonover Wrote: If you are going with the A10 why not go with the A85X mobo. Take advantage of that A10 proc.

ASRock FM2A85X

Why would that be a better choice then? This will be the first AMD system I've ever built so its very possible I'm missing the obvious Smile
Basically, just future proofing. The A85X gives you eight SATA 6Gb/s-capable ports, RAID 5 support, and the ability to divide the APU’s 16 lanes of PCI Express 2.0 into a pair of x8 links. Here is an excellent review of the A10-5800k which is the 100w version of the A10-5700. Page 6 talks about the A75 and A85X mobo's.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Build Advice - A10 5700 Enough for 3D?0