• 57(current)
Back Row General Discussion
(2013-01-22, 11:26)kiboy6 Wrote: Updated the favourites script but still can't get this to work. The relevant folders are selectable as favourites. I can access them no problem via the heart at the bottom of the home screen. It's just when I select that favourite as "set default video source" in BackRow settings that it doesn't work. (I get a blank menu when i press the "Videos" button on the homescreen).

In other words, the favourites themselves work fine....the problem seems only to occur when BackRow calls them

Thanks a lot if you can help get to the bottom of this!

Yep I'm fairly sure that this is related to the same problem that I encountered when I first made the change in skin behaviour. I noticed that a favourite entry which was a folder on a letter mapped network drive (eg. Drive X under my computer) would just show as a blank menu under the set default video source. -ronie made a change to the favourites script and that fixed the issue for me.

Before I delve into Back Row's code could you just remove the favourite item from your list of favourites then re-add it as a favourite? Then try it again.

Also could you try to set up the same favourite item as a default source for both "TV" and "Movies" - just to rule out a coding error with "Videos".

(2013-01-22, 14:24)ncnoman Wrote: FEATURE REQUEST for the otherwise PERFECT SKIN

I would love to see Fanart + MilkDrop overlayed in the music player.

It is just too much trouble using other skins that do this and then trying to tweak them to be as clean as this one is for library navigation. I know this skin is (I guess in theory) a minimalist skin... please consider that there is just not much gone into the Backrow Music player... it could use a polishing and IMO this one easy feature in confluence and transparency makes all the difference... just by putting the fanart behind the visualization....

and just in case it isn't supported already let me mention the importance of CU LRC Lyrics script support too here... THANKS!

Funnily enough I was playing around with this very thing a few days ago - keep an eye out for it happening.

Also there is lyric support in Back Row - it needs enabling in the skin settings.
(2013-01-22, 14:32)Sharpe Wrote: Yep I'm fairly sure that this is related to the same problem that I encountered when I first made the change in skin behaviour. I noticed that a favourite entry which was a folder on a letter mapped network drive (eg. Drive X under my computer) would just show as a blank menu under the set default video source. -ronie made a change to the favourites script and that fixed the issue for me.

Before I delve into Back Row's code could you just remove the favourite item from your list of favourites then re-add it as a favourite? Then try it again.

Thanks Sharpe.

Added and removed favourites with no joy. The folders in question are indeed on a letter mapped network drive. Haven't tried your other suggestion yet as i'm not sure what you mean by setting the favourite as a default source for TV Shows.

(2013-01-22, 17:30)kiboy6 Wrote: Thanks Sharpe.

Added and removed favourites with no joy. The folders in question are indeed on a letter mapped network drive. Haven't tried your other suggestion yet as i'm not sure what you mean by setting the favourite as a default source for TV Shows.

Well I just tried it myself - I added a tv show folder (on a letter mapped networked drive) as a favourite item then set that favourite up as the default source for videos. I got the same result as you.

It works if your folder is using the network path as the source also I think the same error happens even if the drive isn't on the network.

It's an issue with the favourites script I'll see if ronie wouldn't mind putting in a fix for it.
Right regarding the favourites issue - it's a consequence of changes made to the script a while back where essentially there are two methods to use the script in a skin. I always just used the original method as it did all I asked of it and I thought the newer method seemed to add more steps to the process. It seems that this issue is a known bug that occurs when you use the original method of adding favourites - it doesn't happen if you've skinned using the newer method and won't be fixed for the original method.

So I'll have to make a bunch of changes to the skin to use the newer method - not sure when that will be as I've not really been able to understand the newer method properly yet,

In the meantime here's a version of the favourites script I've altered with a little hack to bypass this issue. You can use this until I manage to make the changes to the skin.
(2013-01-23, 09:20)Sharpe Wrote: In the meantime here's a version of the favourites script I've altered with a little hack to bypass this issue. You can use this until I manage to make the changes to the skin.

Thank very much Sharpe. That did the trick (at least mostly).

One remaining problem is that accessing these folders via the custom home-menu button I can only see the file list views.

The folders are correctly set up as "movie" content, and when accessing the favourites directly (via the heart) all the nice movie views are there. Via the homemenu shortcut however, all i can see is file view.

Thanks again Smile
(2013-01-23, 12:25)kiboy6 Wrote: Thank very much Sharpe. That did the trick (at least mostly).

One remaining problem is that accessing these folders via the custom home-menu button I can only see the file list views.

The folders are correctly set up as "movie" content, and when accessing the favourites directly (via the heart) all the nice movie views are there. Via the homemenu shortcut however, all i can see is file view.

Thanks again Smile

Hopefully the changes I'm going to make will address that as well.
(2013-01-23, 12:33)Sharpe Wrote:
(2013-01-23, 12:25)kiboy6 Wrote: Thank very much Sharpe. That did the trick (at least mostly).

Thanks again Smile

Hopefully the changes I'm going to make will address that as well.

Awesome...will look forward to it. Sorry you have to dig into the code so much....before you do that big job i don't suppose there's an additional temporary workaround that could bring those views back?

Any idea what was behind the switch to favourites only for these shortcuts?
(We used to be able to point directly to the source, didn't we?)

(2013-01-23, 12:45)kiboy6 Wrote: Any idea what was behind the switch to favourites only for these shortcuts?
(We used to be able to point directly to the source, didn't we?)

We did but it seemed a good idea to be able to select video addons or playlists as a direct source item as well - with seemingly no noticeable effect because folders were able to be added to favourites as well.

For instance I use the music video addon Vevo as a direct source item for music videos and it works really well.

Aahh...that makes sense..in fact i think i will re-structure my home-menu to take advantage of that feature Smile Especially once we get the library views back for these sources it will be well worthwhile!

One other Question:

When using music addons (such as the Radio plugin) there seems to only be the one view available in BackRow ("List" view). Would it be possible to have a thumbnail based view for this?

Thanks as always for all your work on BackRow!
(2013-01-23, 17:52)kiboy6 Wrote: Aahh...that makes sense..in fact i think i will re-structure my home-menu to take advantage of that feature Smile Especially once we get the library views back for these sources it will be well worthwhile!

One other Question:

When using music addons (such as the Radio plugin) there seems to only be the one view available in BackRow ("List" view). Would it be possible to have a thumbnail based view for this?

Thanks as always for all your work on BackRow!

Yeah it's an area I've not concentrated on much - put it on the list

I think the video folder views work okay provided you've set the content correctly - what are you trying to add as a folder that's not showing the views correctly? What's the folder structure?
Okay the changes to how the skin uses the favourites script have been made - now live in the SVN.
I've also added the fanart with visualisation request and the more views for music addons request.
Hi, I'm not sure what happened, but suddenly back row shows the opening curtain sequence everytime I start up XBMC, I'm wondering how to disable it? (I forgot where to disable it)
It's disabled if you use your own wallpaper(s).

The setting's in skin settings then under the heading home and it's either:

"Use Multiple Home Wallpapers"

or

"Use A Single Home Wallpaper"

(2013-01-23, 22:43)Sharpe Wrote: Okay the changes to how the skin uses the favourites script have been made - now live in the SVN.

Sounds awesome...thanks so much for doing this and thhe other request so incredibly quickly!. I'm away for a few days so can't test yet.

In order to update to this latest version can I update the main BackRow installation via XBMC official repo, or do I have to specifically separately install the SVN version of the skin?

• 57(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Back Row General Discussion6