• 2(current)
Metropolis 2.6.3 for Frodo released
---
(2013-01-31, 17:50)iJunaid Wrote: Hey, thanks for creating this skin. I was stuck on Eden with Alaska Revisited by Hitcher and decided to upgrade. Two questions though. I have local art for TV logos and I see there is a viewtype for it but my logos won't appear?

You need to run Artwork Downloader. Configure it to look for your local art first though or it will re-scrape everything.

(2013-01-31, 17:50)iJunaid Wrote: Also, I'm using the home icon view and was wondering if I could hide all the submenus under each button for a clean/minimalistic view? Thanks and much appreciated.

No, not at this time.
Wink 
I never really noticed this skin before (I live under a rock), I think I tried it once before but the Home screen wasn't a fit for me. I must not have gone much further than the Home screen, because I tried it again yesterday but this time I played with the rest of the skin, and I absolutely love it. It has view layouts that I was only able to get in the past by rolling my own (except your artwork and themes are far better than anything I could come up with). The home screen still isn't my favorite so I modified it to look more like Aeon/Confluence/Neon (horizontal bar with sub menus), it only took about 3 hours (I'm slow) but it was time well spent, as I now have the skin I have always been looking for. Thank you again for taking the time to create all the art work and code for such a great skin.

(also note that something with Frodo is messing with the cover artwork, a lot of the skins use Listitem.Thumbs instead of Listitem.Icon for their cover art and the conversion from Eden to Frodo screwed up the images for Listitem.Thumbs and created a screenshot from the media file instead of the corresponding <movie>.tbn file. Aeon, Neon and even Confluence do it too.)
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
Have you tried the alternate Icon Home Screen layout? Might suit your needs better than the default one if you like horizontal layouts.
I was looking for something like this, so I re-wrote the icon view using art that was already in Metropolis so the themes would still work.
[attachment=240]

Again, love the skin, it is my new default.
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
Ah, so basically the Icon view with text instead of icons. Gotcha.

Glad you like the skin Smile
(2013-02-04, 23:51)MacGyver Wrote: I was looking for something like this, so I re-wrote the icon view using art that was already in Metropolis so the themes would still work.

Again, love the skin, it is my new default.

can I download this one somewhere .. please,
It's just a re-write of jingai's work, and it's pretty much only going to work in my house, here is an example of why:
Code:
                    <description>Movie Trailers</description>
                    <label>Documentaries</label>
                    <icon>home_art/trailers.jpg</icon>
                    <onclick>ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,multipath://smb%3a%2f%2f192.168.0.103%2fMedia%2fAdult%20Documentaries%2f/smb%3a%2f%2f192.168.0.103%2fMedia%2fDocumentaries%2f/,return)</onclick>
                    <visible>!Skin.HasSetting(NoTrailers)</visible>
It really is just "Includes_Home2.xml" chewed up to fit my needs, as you can see by the example I have replaced Trailers with a source named Documentaries and paths to my NAS, it's filled with stuff like this, and only I could make sense of the crazy code I kludged together (and didn't comment). I have also done things like remove all the submenus to everything but Movies, Settings, and Shutdown, as well as removed elements from those even, so you really wouldn't like it anyway.
I think it would be trivial for jingai to code this style of menu into their Metropolis, I have read some of the other requests by users in here and they seem to try to accommodate most requests if there is enough interest, I would ask them nicely. It's only a hack of Aeon's style and it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the aesthetics anyway.
That would be a cool 3rd option for a home screen; it seems to be popular in other skins. For me, everything beyond the home screen in Metropolis is damn near perfect. I like the Aeon skins, Back Row, and a couple others, but for whatever reason(s) my favorite media views (ones like Metropolis' "Poster & Fanart" view where everything is on the screen at once) tend to lag a little in other skins. As I move from one movie to the next, for example, the fanart sometimes lags a bit before switching. In Metropolis that doesn't happen -- everything is snappy.

And since the "Wow, look at that!" factor is such a common thing when showing off an XBMC rig to friends, a skin that performs as well as this one is important to me. While a 3rd home screen option more akin to the fanart-driven, horizonal layout screens in other skins would be a great option and perhaps more in keeping with the terrific visuals in Metropolis' media views, it does seem like it would be a lot of work. With that in mind, a few thoughts on the existing home screens...

* In the Random/Recent lists, is it possible to fix the distortion that occurs for thumbs that aren't 16:9? It seems to happen mostly with older shows with 4:3 thumbs. Can the display be changed to fit the ratio of the thumb, or does it have to be 16:9?

* Could something else be in the bottom area of the Default home screen when Recent/Random is switched off? Could Media Totals be there if they're switched on, leaving the submenu to the right and moving the Totals to the bottom?

* In Icon View, there appears to be enough room to the right of the submenu for contextual media totals (i.e. movie totals show up when Movies is selected) and perhaps Recent/Random items to the left of the submenu. Again, just an idea to take advantage of the open space.

* Is there an easy way to customize the Icon View icons, and perhaps the system icons? If not, could there be? I like the icons you have, but folks might like a level of control akin to the Home Artwork option in the default home screen.

And while I'm at it, aside from the home screen, is there a way to change the default studio icon for movies? A lot of movies don't have that info or there's no icon for some studios. Even very recent movies (Seven Psychopaths, The Impossible, Beasts of the Southern Wild, etc.) don't show a studio icon (I don't use an external media manager, just the themovieDB scraper in XBMC). Overall, I'd say one of every five or so movies I have don't yield the proper studio icon, so with 1300 movies it comes up a lot. I like having the studio/rating/score icons there, but the default icon with the question mark makes it look like something's missing, as opposed to a placeholder like the Metropolis icon or XBMC logo that wouldn't draw the eye as much.

Lastly, has anyone noticed that scrolling in Metropolis is choppy/hesitant/laggy in certain places after upgrading to Frodo and 2.6.3? I notice it in Movies - Poster & Fanart view, in the Files view when I'm scrolling through new rips/files, and in some menus, but oddly not in TV Shows - Logo view. Holding the button down to scroll quickly through large lists is choppy in some places and not in others using Metropolis. I just tried it using Back Row and didn't notice the same problem. Anyone else?

Sorry for the length of this post, and please don't take any of the above as criticism. I adore Metropolis. It's the only skin I use and recommend. Thanks for all the hard work.
(2013-02-05, 22:11)MacGyver Wrote: I think it would be trivial for jingai to code this style of menu into their Metropolis, I have read some of the other requests by users in here and they seem to try to accommodate most requests if there is enough interest, I would ask them nicely. It's only a hack of Aeon's style and it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the aesthetics anyway.

Hacking it together might be trivial, but the way things are currently coded it means a lot (more) of duplicated code, which is becoming a maintenance nightmare. I plan to fix this by pushing common elements into includes, but just haven't gotten there yet. I'm not personally going to add any more home views until this is done.

I'll keep it in mind though after I've managed to break apart the existing stuff.
(2013-02-05, 22:19)Jags Wrote: * In the Random/Recent lists, is it possible to fix the distortion that occurs for thumbs that aren't 16:9? It seems to happen mostly with older shows with 4:3 thumbs. Can the display be changed to fit the ratio of the thumb, or does it have to be 16:9?

It's currently hard-coded to 16:9, but I'll look at making it preserve the aspect.

(2013-02-05, 22:19)Jags Wrote: * Could something else be in the bottom area of the Default home screen when Recent/Random is switched off? Could Media Totals be there if they're switched on, leaving the submenu to the right and moving the Totals to the bottom?

Possibly.. it's just that there are already a lot of conditionals there as it is. I'll think about it.

(2013-02-05, 22:19)Jags Wrote: * In Icon View, there appears to be enough room to the right of the submenu for contextual media totals (i.e. movie totals show up when Movies is selected) and perhaps Recent/Random items to the left of the submenu. Again, just an idea to take advantage of the open space.

I just think this would look too cluttered.

(2013-02-05, 22:19)Jags Wrote: * Is there an easy way to customize the Icon View icons, and perhaps the system icons? If not, could there be? I like the icons you have, but folks might like a level of control akin to the Home Artwork option in the default home screen.

If "easy" is replacing the JPGs on-disk, then sure. If you mean from within the skin, not currently. The primary focus of Metropolis is to be clean and fast. We're starting to add more customization to it, but there are other things that need to be in place first. The way a lot of it was written originally just doesn't lend itself well to customization and that needs to be addressed rather than applying bandaids everywhere.

(2013-02-05, 22:19)Jags Wrote: And while I'm at it, aside from the home screen, is there a way to change the default studio icon for movies? A lot of movies don't have that info or there's no icon for some studios. Even very recent movies (Seven Psychopaths, The Impossible, Beasts of the Southern Wild, etc.) don't show a studio icon (I don't use an external media manager, just the themovieDB scraper in XBMC). Overall, I'd say one of every five or so movies I have don't yield the proper studio icon, so with 1300 movies it comes up a lot. I like having the studio/rating/score icons there, but the default icon with the question mark makes it look like something's missing, as opposed to a placeholder like the Metropolis icon or XBMC logo that wouldn't draw the eye as much.

Well... something is missing -- the studio information Wink You can change the icon though if you like by replacing the JPG on-disk.

FWIW though, I use tmdb scraper as well (no external media manager) and I certainly think it finds more than 1 in 5. Maybe you need to adjust some settings in the scraper?

(2013-02-05, 22:19)Jags Wrote: Lastly, has anyone noticed that scrolling in Metropolis is choppy/hesitant/laggy in certain places after upgrading to Frodo and 2.6.3? I notice it in Movies - Poster & Fanart view, in the Files view when I'm scrolling through new rips/files, and in some menus, but oddly not in TV Shows - Logo view. Holding the button down to scroll quickly through large lists is choppy in some places and not in others using Metropolis. I just tried it using Back Row and didn't notice the same problem. Anyone else?

Known issue. For some of the views the coords/bounds are wrong and XBMC handled the erroneous values more gracefully in eden. It's on the list of things to correct.
Quote:If "easy" is replacing the JPGs on-disk, then sure.

Sounds easy enough. Where are the JPGs located for the default studio icon and Icon View icons? I remember sorting through the studio icons months back but not finding one, figured I either missed it or it was compiled into a texture file somewhere. How would I go about doing that?

Quote:FWIW though, I use tmdb scraper as well (no external media manager) and I certainly think it finds more than 1 in 5. Maybe you need to adjust some settings in the scraper?

It *doesn't* find about 1 in 5. Sorry about that -- I probably mistyped. I think it's actually more than that, maybe 1 in 4 (26 out of the first 100 movies in my collection, and I don't have any obscure stuff). In any case, it's a lot. If it were a small amount, I wouldn't mind tracking down the studio info, manually updating the info, adding icons, etc. But for hundreds of movies... ugh. Confused

So I know there's something missing and I get that the icon is pointing that out, but since it's such a tedious problem to tackle because of how prevalent it is, I kinda feel like that question mark is mocking me. Wink

Thanks a ton for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.
(2013-02-06, 20:51)Jags Wrote: Where are the JPGs located for the default studio icon and Icon View icons? I remember sorting through the studio icons months back but not finding one, figured I either missed it or it was compiled into a texture file somewhere. How would I go about doing that?

Ah, I always run with a manually installed copy of the skin (because I develop for it) and often forget that yes, you've only got the compiled textures.

But you can create just the files you want to override and it'll use them. For the studio icon it's:

skin.metropolis/media/flags/default.png

For the icon view images:

skin.metropolis/media/home_icons/

The existing studio icon can be found here. There is an alternate here you might prefer (actually, not sure why it's not using that one anyway).

The home icon images are here.

I'm just changed it to use default-studio.png since I think that was the original intention anyway. I've seen at least one other user complain about it besides you anyway. You won't see this change until the next release, though.

(2013-02-06, 20:51)Jags Wrote: It *doesn't* find about 1 in 5. Sorry about that -- I probably mistyped.

Actually, I misread. Sorry Smile
hello love this skin ... on xbmc 12 ... i can't work out how to get (tv show tags) to show under tv show sub menu on mane screen like movie tags.... but if i go to tv show under files menu tv tags is there ... how to put tv tags under tv sub menu mane screen? thank you
(2013-02-10, 00:56)wobbly Wrote: hello love this skin ... on xbmc 12 ... i can't work out how to get (tv show tags) to show under tv show sub menu on mane screen like movie tags.... but if i go to tv show under files menu tv tags is there ... how to put tv tags under tv sub menu mane screen? thank you

As far as I can tell, there are no tags for TV Shows yet. See here.

The Tags node you see under TV Shows->Files is actually the same one you see under Movies->Files.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Metropolis 2.6.3 for Frodo released2