• 1(current)
Ouya
Hello,

I was wondering if XBMC will still be operational on the Ouya console coming out in April? If so, is the hardware good enough to run XBMC smoothly with 1080p movies?

Thks
yes, yes.
Libstagefright is either a German compound word about the delicious angst that comes before performing live, or native Android hardware acceleration that works on Ouya!
There is nothing impressive about playing 1080p videos in 2013.

The real question is can it run the XBMC gui, update library etc smoothly. Can you run an attractive skin without lagging badly.
(2013-02-03, 19:28)voochi Wrote: There is nothing impressive about playing 1080p videos in 2013.

The real question is can it run the XBMC gui, update library etc smoothly. Can you run an attractive skin without lagging badly.

That's true ... and is it good enough for example using Aeon Nox?

OUYA TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
• Tegra 3 -- Quad-core processor
• 1 GB LPDDR2 RAM
• 8 GB on-board flash
• HDMI connection to the TV at 1080p HD
• WiFi 802.11bgn
• Bluetooth LE 4.0
• Enclosure opens with standard screws
• Ethernet
(2013-02-03, 19:28)voochi Wrote: The real question is can it run the XBMC gui, update library etc smoothly. Can you run an attractive skin without lagging badly.

Well, the XBMC GUI on my Rockchip Dual Core 1,6Ghz tablet runs amazingly fast. Since Ouya will use the Nvidia Tegra 3 1,7Ghz Quad core processor, i'm pretty sure it will do just fine.
Good news ! already pre-ordered it anyway! Smile
Does the Ouya have a IR receiver, find that quite essential for a XBMC box Smile
(2013-02-03, 20:21)fremar Wrote: Does the Ouya have a IR receiver, find that quite essential for a XBMC box Smile

From what I've seen it does not. It does have USB, so an IR dongle like FLIRC would likely work.
(2013-02-03, 19:28)voochi Wrote: There is nothing impressive about playing 1080p videos in 2013.

Sadly, it is impressive when faced with the challenge of finding a free and open source solution that doesn't have NDAs and works on multiple deices in a heavily fragmented Android and/or ARM world. In theory it shouldn't be this hard to get hardware video decoding working with XBMC on most, if not all, devices such as this. A lack of standards between chip makers, a lack of a standard API from Google/Android, chipmakers thinking that a private API that requires an NDA is a good idea, and other factors, make playing 1080p in 2013 on an ARM device an uphill battle.
(2013-02-04, 09:38)Ned Scott Wrote:

Sadly, it is impressive when faced with the challenge of finding a free and open source solution that doesn't have NDAs and works on multiple deices in a heavily fragmented Android and/or ARM world. In theory it shouldn't be this hard to get hardware video decoding working with XBMC on most, if not all, devices such as this. A lack of standards between chip makers, a lack of a standard API from Google/Android, chipmakers thinking that a private API that requires an NDA is a good idea, and other factors, make playing 1080p in 2013 on an ARM device an uphill battle.

Luckily, there are companies like Pivos, Ouya and the Raspberry PI foundation that are willing to work together with software companies to make their devices compatible. The big contrast between my Raspberry Pi and Mele A2000 (that is hardware-supirior) is shocking. I will buy a Ouya, but will wait for the first user experiences.
(2013-02-04, 09:38)Ned Scott Wrote:

This is exactly why Pivos decided to work with AmLogic. Pivos could expose large portions of software code without having to play the source code shell game. This was specifically so Pivos could provide Linux based solutions as well as Android ones. But people keep forgetting this when buying off brand AmLogic boxes where there are small yet important differences in the firmware or even the hardware and the Pivos solution does not quite work right.
If the Ouya, or any other device out there will deliver an appliance like XBMC experience with smooth menus in Aeon Nox while bitstreaming HD audio in a nice compact package I'll dump my Windows 7 machine in a heartbeat. Of course that's assuming the cost is reasonable considering I already HAVE the Win 7 machine Wink
XBMC specs: MINIX U9-H LibreELEC 4K all day

Home Theater - Samsung 65KS8000 - Denon 3200- Ascend Acoustics speakers - Maelstrom 18in sealed sub 7cu ft - Behringer EP2500

UNraid Server – Pentium G3258 – MSI - H81M-P33 – Antec HCG-400M PS - 8Gb RAM
any chances to get full HW video acceleration under linux?
Ouya is a tegra3 based device, so the question is, are there tegra3 based linux distros with full HW video acceleration ?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ouya 2