Win Music Video Help
I've done quite a bit of searching on this and it always seems to hit a dead end or maybe i'm just missing the obvious?

At first I just tried to set up XBMC to find my music videos using the built-in scraper and after throwing about 30 videos at it and two different locations it's picked up one video.. i looked in add-ons and tried to search for other repositories or an external scraper i could use but i've found nothing...

i use ember and love to have the control to pick all my own images but is there any external scrapers that work for music videos?

I was able to d/l XBMC Music Videos Nfo Creator and it at least helped everything show up in XBMC but it obviously doesn't include any artist info, fanart etc...

what's the cleanest and most efficient way people build there music video library on xbmc?

i'm using aeon nox with xbmc frodo btw...

any suggestions or help would be extremely thankful because im beginning to get frustrated
You're not alone. Even the wiki is blank about Music Videos. I also threw a quick 25 or so at it and it didn't find one! I also read that they would show up in both Video and Music collections... which I don't really like. It would be nice to have them in thier own collection right on the main screen with "Movies" and "TV Shows".
I am thinking you will get nowhere around here without a debug log (wiki) of a session scraping your music videos.

Secondly (or perhaps firstly) file naming is key when doing movies or TV, I assume it is the same for music videos.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have an open thread as well about file structure and naming conventions for videos and alas no one has responded. As far as the scraper goes, I think it pretty much broke a long time ago and since then nothing has been fixed for automated scraping. I have tried making my own .nfo files but still can not get them to show up in library mode. I also use aeon nox, and it has a shortcut available for music videos on the home screen, but it points at the wrong directory. Occassionally I peek at the skin code to try and locate where the path's for the skin are defined but I have not found it yet.
i have around 60 music videos, all in HD scraped into xbmc, here is what i do:

i have all my music vids in a folder named the same as the video eg Alex Clare - Too Close / Alex Clare - Too Close.mp4 also fanart.jpg

i then have a separate version of Ember Media Manager, and add the music videos in as a movie source.

you can scrape the metadata by going to: Scrape Media > New Movies > Automatic > Meta Data Only

the only downside is, you have to right click each file and click Edit
Movie, then Click OK or it will not save the meta data.

In XBMC, add the source as Music Videos, then XBMC will load the nfo file, and generate a thumbnail preview, voila!

also in XBMC you can only view by title unless you manually edit the nfo, but that does not bother me.

Thanks for the info Phil! I have my movies set up in folders... not sure why I didn't think of trying that with the music videos.
thanks for the reply phil...

i'll give this method a try when i'm back home tonight or tomorrow to test it out!

so, does this method give you any artist info and does it d/l the fanart for you? or do you just manually d/l the fanart and throw it in the folders?
this method does not download any info, so yes you have to chuck fanart in manually
I've been playing around with music video for a while. Still not that satisfied with my understanding of XBMC and how best to set things up. Some observations:

1. XBMC wiki is kind of weak. If I ever figure it out well enough to be confident of editing I would.

2. I've had zero luck with last.fm or other scrapers in XBMC. I use MediaMonkey as a tagger/library, and hacked a script that generates nfo files from tags.

3. Also no luck with artwork downloader addon.

4. I have my files in music video\artist\album folder structure. For various reasons I do not use standard filenames.

5. In Confluence, at least, there is a link between movie video and music artist art. There is no link to album art, and in fact there appears to be no way (I can find) to set any album art for music video, even though there is an album view in the menu.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Well there is this

http://popatopdad.codeplex.com/

I have hundreds and hundreds of music videos so making folders for each one and label it all right would take a long time not to mention doing the individual meta data for every file...

with this program it'll create the tbn, nfo and make a thumb of the videos at any point you want.. it'll also do a batch of a folder full of 100+ videos with a single click.. you can look up your videos through title or artist and the party mode which is what i mostly use anyways....

you could also easily edit the year, genre etc...

the downside is no fanart but for people with a lot of videos it's a sacrifice worth taking i think...

is there a way to still have fanart for different artists without putting each video in its own folder? also does anyone know of a way to somehow manually add artist pictures for when you search your vids that way?

this program is good enough to make everything decent and usable but if i could somehow add fanart and/or artist pics i'd be set...
i have seen/played with that proggy before, but i NEED my metadata...the search via artist etc i can live without for now, but saying that, incorporate that into EMM, or vice versa and it would be golden.
(2013-03-07, 04:57)hype Wrote: Well there is this

http://popatopdad.codeplex.com/

I have hundreds and hundreds of music videos so making folders for each one and label it all right would take a long time not to mention doing the individual meta data for every file...

with this program it'll create the tbn, nfo and make a thumb of the videos at any point you want.. it'll also do a batch of a folder full of 100+ videos with a single click.. you can look up your videos through title or artist and the party mode which is what i mostly use anyways....

you could also easily edit the year, genre etc...

the downside is no fanart but for people with a lot of videos it's a sacrifice worth taking i think...

is there a way to still have fanart for different artists without putting each video in its own folder? also does anyone know of a way to somehow manually add artist pictures for when you search your vids that way?

this program is good enough to make everything decent and usable but if i could somehow add fanart and/or artist pics i'd be set...

So did I. My musicvideo files are in folders musicvideo\artistname Works fine. Except for one thing: The artists.
When in KODI I navigate to
VIDEO -> Movies -> Actors I get a list of Actors, and when I select an Actor, I get a list of Movies he/she performs in.
But when I navigate to
VIDEO -> Musicvideos -> Artists I get a list of Artists, but when I select an Artist, I get NO Musicvideo's he/she performs in.
Seems to me a little bit inconsistent. Any suggestions?
AFAIK, the way artists work is that the MV artists table in the video library links to the artists table in the music library. If you have info on the artist in the music library, it will show in music videos. The physical folder/file arrangement is immaterial.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2015-03-16, 20:47)scott967 Wrote: AFAIK, the way artists work is that the MV artists table in the video library links to the artists table in the music library. If you have info on the artist in the music library, it will show in music videos. The physical folder/file arrangement is immaterial.

scott s.
Hi Scott, thanx for your reply. But I don't think I made my question clear enough.

First a movies example: KODI can show a list of actors of all my movies. When I go there, and select Bruce Willis, I get a list of all the movies on my player in which Bruce Willis is acting.
No problems there.

Then the musicvideo's: KODI can show a list of all artists. When I go there, I would expect (in selecting Warren Haynes), to get a list of musicvideo's on my player in which Warren Haynes is performing as an artist. But when I select Warren Haynes, I only get an empty page (same for all artists). I expect to get his performances with his own band Gov't Mule but also his perfomances with the Dave Matthews Band. Both types of musicvideos are in my KODI player and for both are .nfo files available with an <artist> tag for Warren Haynes.
As already said, it is the same for all artists. I have music video's of Neil Young performing with Buffalo Springfield, with Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, with Crazy Horse, with Arcade Fire and with Dave Matthews. However, when I select Neil Young in the artist list, I get an empty page.
Of course I can go (in KODI) to "files", and then to the Neil Young folder. Then I can access all the musicvideo's I have put there. But his guest appearances with the Dave Matthews Band are in the Dave Matthews folder.
So my question was not about artist info. I do not use KODI as a Wiki. I want to use it as a player with easy access of my video's.
Music Video is in it's infancy with KODI, and what you describe it how it currently works. If I search (in Music Videos) for Sting, I get a bunch of TVShows (The Stinger (Seaquest DSV, Sting Operation (The Penguins of Madagascar), Movies (The Sting), and finally a listing for [Actor - Music Videos] Sting.

However, if I search for say Duran Duran, under the Music Videos Sub-Menu Actors, then it lists all the Music Videos, Albums, and [Actor - Music Videos] of only Duran Duran.

So for your multiple artists, are you putting them in the .NFO files, like this...

<musicvideo>
<title>Scream & Shout</title>
<artist>Will.i.am</artist>
<artist>Britney Spears</artist>
<album>#willpower</album>
<genre>Hip hop</genre>
<director></director>
<composer></composer>
<studio>Interscope</studio>
<year>2013</year>
<runtime></runtime>
</musicvideo>

So the Music Video shows up under both Artists?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Video Help0