TMDb scraper feature request: support adult titles
Hello,
Recently TMDb added support to allow searching for adult films via the API.

It would be great to see this feature added to the TMDb scraper - possibly as a configurable setting.

---Alex
I remember that I read that xbmc doens't want to naturaly support adult media/scrapers, so I don't think it will be added on the official repository.

I took a look at the scraper and the api and it ist very simple to add this feature.

Just replace the following line from CreateSearchUrl:

Code:
<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;url&gt;http://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/movie?api_key=57983e31fb435df4df77afb854740ea9&amp;query=\1$$4&amp;language=$INFO[language]&lt;/url&gt;" dest="3">

with the following line:
Code:
<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;url&gt;http://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/movie?api_key=57983e31fb435df4df77afb854740ea9&amp;include_adult=true&amp;amp;query=\1$$4&amp;amp;language=$INFO[language]&lt;/url&gt;" dest="3">
Hi,

Could someone please explain how I can make the changes shown above on XBMC on my Apple TV please?

What file is this in and what is the best way to edit that file?

Thx
(2012-05-19, 13:37)flobbes Wrote: I remember that I read that xbmc doens't want to naturaly support adult media/scrapers, so I don't think it will be added on the official repository.
Do you have a link for where you found that information?

As long as it is implimented as a configurable option (off by default), then I don't see how people who are offended by adult content would be exposed to it. Especially if 1) adult content is off by default and 2) they don't have any adult content in their library.

I'm willing to make the modifications neccesary to the TMDB scraper, but only if it actually has a chance to make it into the official release.

Thoughts?

---Alex
No chance.
The adult addon repo has an adult scraper you can download.
(2013-03-13, 09:25)jayleekay Wrote: The adult addon repo has an adult scraper you can download.
I'm not interested in just any "adult scraper." I'm interesting in pulling the existing adult titles that are already in TMDB. I still don't see why this would be a problem if it's a configurable option.

Part of the reason I want to use TMDB is that 1) I've already contributed to them, and 2) scanning a unified movie collection with multiple scrapers is not easy (please correct me if I am wrong on this).

---Alex
(2013-03-13, 13:45)Alexqw Wrote: I'm not interested in just any "adult scraper." I'm interesting in pulling the existing adult titles that are already in TMDB.

So what blocks you to use the above mentioned modification which makes this possible for you?
(2013-03-13, 14:12)olympia Wrote: So what blocks you to use the above mentioned modification which makes this possible for you?
Nothing blocks me from doing it just for myself. I just would rather commit this enhancement to the official TMDB scraper so that others may benefit from this feature. Also, this would save me the effort of tracking my patch and reapplying locally with every official update to the TMDB scraper. You know, the driving spirit behind open source development.

Is this unreasonable? I feel like I'm missing something because I don't see why it's a problem to commit a small change that gives users configurable access to additional information from an already used service about films in their collection. Is the problem really just that the info will be from a genre of films some people don't like?

---Alex
(2013-03-13, 14:34)Alexqw Wrote:
(2013-03-13, 14:12)olympia Wrote: So what blocks you to use the above mentioned modification which makes this possible for you?
Nothing blocks me from doing it just for myself. I just would rather commit this enhancement to the official TMDB scraper so that others may benefit from this feature. Also, this would save me the effort of tracking my patch and reapplying locally with every official update to the TMDB scraper. You know, the driving spirit behind open source development.

Is this unreasonable? I feel like I'm missing something because I don't see why it's a problem to commit a small change that gives users configurable access to additional information from an already used service about films in their collection. Is the problem really just that the info will be from a genre of films some people don't like?

---Alex

Because we will not allow adult scraping in the official version.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-03-13, 14:42)Martijn Wrote: Because we will not allow adult scraping in the official version.
Hmm. That is a downer. Offhand, can you point to a place where the discussion occurred to decide on/explain this policy? I'm curious about the reasons for choosing to do this, since from my perspective it seems odd to have a project-wide policy to filter out a specific genre/rating. It just strikes me as arbitrary since criticisms can be made against most genres -- and even directors.

Going off the assumption that my opinion as a non-core-dev will not cause a change in xbmc policy... do you know of an easy way to use a primary scraper (such as TMDB) and then use a secondary scraper (in my case, adult oriented, for others maybe IMDB or anime oriented) for anything that is missed by the first scraper?

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions, and clarifying the xbmc policy.

---Alex
1. This is a general policy. We do not support p0rn. Period. This is not up to discussion.
2. In addition to the above mentioned policy, because you don't see how a configurable option can cause problem: just imagine the situation when your children will be facing with offending content while this configurable option is enabled due to failed/wrong scraping e.g. if the title of a p0rn movie on TMDb was closer to the file/folder than the disney cartoon they wanted to scrape.
3. Hint: the default TMDB scraper doesn't get updated so often that this should block you to modify it every time or just create a fork which then will not be updated
4. Put your adult oriented movies into a separate folder and set your adult scraper on it.
(2013-03-13, 16:47)olympia Wrote: 1. This is a general policy. We do not support p0rn. Period. This is not up to discussion.
Point taken.
(2013-03-13, 16:47)olympia Wrote: 2. In addition to the above mentioned policy, because you don't see how a configurable option can cause problem: just imagine the situation when your children will be facing with offending content while this configurable option is enabled due to failed/wrong scraping e.g. if the title of a p0rn movie on TMDb was closer to the file/folder than the disney cartoon they wanted to scrape.
Making my next point may be moot, given how curtly you've responded to my request just for info on how the decision to disallow adult titles came about. However, I feel the point should be made nonetheless -- even if change isn't likely to occur.

Contrary to what you think, I /do/ see how adult content scraping could be a problem for some people. /But,/ the option I'm proposing wouldn't change the current situation at all for those people.

The option would be to /not/ include adult content by default. Don't want adult titles? Don't turn it on. Don't want it turned on? Use the xbmc parental controls to lock down the config. I think most parents who care /that much/ are used to parental controls.

The /current/ TMDB situation (/without/ my proposed change), already has the "risk" to incorrectly scrape the wrong title -- and an adult title specifically. How? A title could be added to TMDB, and simply just isn't labeled as adult. Suddenly, Little Timmy can accidentally get info for an adult title in XBMC. Or, even "worse," Little Timmy could want to scrape a movie with the word "pirates" in it. "Pirates" was the name of a recent, popular adult title which was popular enough to spawn a Rated R recut of it. Sure enough, "Pirates" the R-Rated version is currently scraped properly by XBMC. The cover and plot are same as the NC-17. This current vector for adult content doesn't seem to bother the XBMC project. Why is this risk ok but a configurable option (with parental control to lock down configs) is considered too "risky?"

It just all seems very arbitrary to me.
(2013-03-13, 16:47)olympia Wrote: 3. Hint: the default TMDB scraper doesn't get updated so often that this should block you to modify it every time or just create a fork which then will not be updated
I'll keep this in mind; I may choose this option.

(2013-03-13, 16:47)olympia Wrote: 4. Put your adult oriented movies into a separate folder and set your adult scraper on it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I do prefer to keep all of my movies in one folder, but I can get over that. Also, I do like TMDB as a service and they are my movie DB of choice, which is why I've been so insistent on making sure that the XBMC project really is this set against adult titles. You've cleared that up nicely by being so unwilling to explain XBMC's position. It takes a strong viewpoint to not even want to discuss a topic.

Despite some of our sparring, I do appreciate you taking the time to respond. It is nice to get some feedback from someone "in the know" in the XBMC group.

---Alex
afaik this standpoint is the one from the whole team for years and years.

No option will be added period . The risk is too great or whatever you might call it.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-03-13, 19:37)Martijn Wrote: afaik this standpoint is the one from the whole team for years and years.

No option will be added period . The risk is too great or whatever you might call it.
Alright. Thank you for your time and clarity of position.

---Alex

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TMDb scraper feature request: support adult titles1