Increase buffer size?
I'm experiencing rare buffering issues in XBMC, usually when streaming video files from a (otherwise fast) NAS which can experience performance dips when used intensively by other computers in the network (wired 1gbit LAN).

So just a quick question before I start experimenting with different buffer settings:

Is the cachemembuffersize option in advancedsettings.xml supported by the OSX version of XBMC?

Thanks in advance.

/B
As I understand it, buffer size affects streaming from websites. It doesn't help with local/NAS buffering

Hope I'm wrong, though
(2013-03-20, 13:09)newoski Wrote: Hope I'm wrong, though

So do I Smile
Buffer settings for local network sources is coming, but not currently a feature. It currently is as newoski says.
Very glad to hear it is coming!
(2013-03-21, 05:38)Ned Scott Wrote: Buffer settings for local network sources is coming, but not currently a feature. It currently is as newoski says.

Ok thanks - looking forward to it Smile
Good news that this feature is coming!

I've lately begin to use cloud storage that is hosting many of my video files. Normally the down speed is sufficient but from time to time it's flaky.
Since the cloud storage mounts as a local device it doesn't matter if I change the buffer size in xbmc since it's only handling real streams.

Looking forward to this update!

Thanks!
Anyone know if this will be in v12.2, or will it be in v13/Gotham?
+1 for the buffer configuration :-)

I use an external Drobo and from time to time it buffers (when my other Macs use time machine for instance). For Raspberry PI that would also be very useful while using a cheap WiFi dongle...[/align]
You configure it in advancedsettings.xml.
Specifically, what you want to add is this stanza inside the file:

Code:
<network>
<cachemembuffersize>NUMBER OF BYTES</cachemembuffersize>
</network>

For example, mine is set to a 50MB buffer, so that's 50MB*1024KB*1024B=52428800

So the code xml looks like this:
Code:
<network>
<cachemembuffersize>52428800</cachemembuffersize>
</network>

All of the sources I've seen have said that this is for ANY network traffic (your system really doesn't care whether the source is a NAS or the internet, it still has to spool the data somewhere when it is coming from the network - it doesn't make sense that two different stacks would be used, but hey, I'm an engineer and what makes sense to me isn't always right Smile ).

I made the changes above and did see a decrease in buffering, but it could be placebo.
I just wanted to add my quick (ugly) fix to this problem.

As I wrote before I use a cloud storage that maps up a network drive in Windows. So to xbmc it looks like a local drive and therefore no cache is made.
Streaming HD vids that require about 1 Mb/s can, on a bad day, get frustrating with all buffering.

So what I did is that I setup a simple ftp server on my machine and add that directory in xbmc, ftp://localhost, and a 0 cachemembuffersize. Viola, I got local cache since ftp is considered to be network traffic. Smile

//S
+1
(2013-04-30, 16:02)msarro Wrote: You configure it in advancedsettings.xml.

Code:
<network>
</network>

Code:
<network>
</network>

All of the sources I've seen have said that this is for ANY network traffic (your system really doesn't care whether the source is a NAS or the internet, it still has to spool the data somewhere when it is coming from the network - it doesn't make sense that two different stacks would be used, but hey, I'm an engineer and what makes sense to me isn't always right Smile ).

I made the changes above and did see a decrease in buffering, but it could be placebo.

I tried this as well... Did not work for me. Sad It was a placebo...
(2013-04-30, 16:02)msarro Wrote: You configure it in advancedsettings.xml.

Code:
<network>
</network>

Code:
<network>
</network>

Well, you're wrong, and for the version of XBMC you were using it only applied to internet traffic and not local network traffic.
(2013-09-06, 05:58)Ned Scott Wrote: Well, you're wrong, and for the version of XBMC you were using it only applied to internet traffic and not local network traffic.

How would that make ME wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, thought it was a response to my last post. Wink Ignore me...

PS: Thanks to the mods for not allowing me to delete my own posts... Hope you enjoy the egg on my face...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Increase buffer size?0