• 4(current)
(How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4
What sort of thing are you trying to add as a favourite that's giving you issues?
My fanart.tv & themoviedb.org accounts.

I have used mix of favorites and vplaylists to access different directories. Some tvshows such as anime or drama and some movies such as watched foreign, new foreign etc. Normally I have seperate direcory for new movies I have downloaded and move to another directory once watched.
Can you not add these folders as videoplaylists as described in this tutorial? Then go into your playlists view under the ‘video’ menu, and add the ones you want as favourites by pressing c and selecting add to favourites.

Then you can go into the customisation menu, and add these as favourites. All should work properly then.

(2013-03-28, 10:46)Samu-rai Wrote: I personaly find it easier to use the folder method rather than the tagging. I just drag the film into the right folder and it's done. However, if you want to tag them then follow the advice on the wiki page.

I wonder if both methods could be used, I just read Samu-rai's setup guide, but it seems it is still completely reliant on having separate Movies and Kids Movies folders and the right movies being stored in the right folder.

I do already have separate folders and using Master Lock but in the Kids Movies folder is content suitable for my youngest daughter. So my eldest daughter only gets to see that baby-ish content now (as they share the same room / HTPC), where previously in MyMovies/MCE she could also see all content up to PG-13.

Now I could move what I would call Family movies (PG-13) from my main movie folder in to the kids movie folder and that would work. But then I can see issues with me being indecisive, for example "Back to the Future" is currently in my movie folder, so is it a kids movie? or a family movie? or my movie?

Or should I create a third new movie folder called "Family Movies" and have three sources - Movies / Kids Movies & Family Movies

Or possibly start looking at tags?

This was so easy in MyMovies/MCE I just set what parental rating I wanted on my children's HTPC and they could only see up to that level.
I couldn't find tags in Aeon MQ4, so dropped back to Confluence skin. I created a new movie tag called Family and added some test movies in to it.

These are all movies that are located in my main movie folder but are movies that my eldest daughter could have access to on her shared HTPC.

Not sure how to make these tagged movies accessible via the Aeon MQ4 UI however.

EDIT: There doesn't appear to be a way to show these tagged movies in Aeon MQ4. Shame as that might have been the answer.
I agree that a blocking feature based on age rating would be very useful. If it hasn't already been suggested to the devs as a future feature then it should be.

In the mean time however I would suggest the following solution, as I think it should work.

Keep the 2 folders you have, Kids Movies & Movies.

Add both as sources on your children’s HTPC, but lock the movies source.

Now set up 2 playlists:

1) Kid's Movies - Set the path to the Kid's Movies folder as described in this tutorial.
2) Family Movies - Set the rule to where 'MPAA rating' contains 'PG'.

Now add both of these as custom buttons to the home screen.

If my calculations are correct Tongue (which they may not be as I have only just thought of this), the kids button will allow access to all of the kids movies as before.

The Family movies button however, will bring up all of the movies rated up to PG-13. I am hoping that as you locked your 'movies' source, that any movie which your daughters try to access which is not in the Kid's folder, will require the chosen combination to play (which of course you will only give to your eldest).

This is completely theoretical at this point, but it may just work!

Samu-rai

What you just said seems logical and sounds like it might work. I will give it a go!

Thanks
Just noticed you can select Tags when creating a Smart Playlist so tags may work after all, put I prefer your idea of using the MPAA rating contains PG as if that works I wont need to manually tag these "Family Movies"
Fingers crossed. Let me know how you get on.

It would be a much easier affair if there was a button within the library view which allowed you to unlock the source, but I don't believe that exists in MQ4.

I will suggest it to Marcos for MQ5 though.

Yes, playlists can be set up via tags. The rating method should work though; it’s just whether the locking of the more mature movies will do so as we are hoping.

OK I created a new Smart Playlist called "Family Movies" and set it to contain "PG".

If I open this playlist whilst my main Movie folder is still locked, then it shows all movies that contain "PG" rating from the "Kids Movies" folder only.

If I then unlock my main Movie folder and go back in to the Smart Playlist, it then lists all movies that contain "PG" rating from either the "Movies" or "Kids Movies" folders. This is the same list of movies that they used to see when using MyMovies/MCE.

I don't think it is going to prompt for the unlock code however when you open the "Family Movies" smart playlist.
So I am not sure if adding new main menu items for Kids Movies and Family Movies will work? As when entering Family Movies the movies that contains "PG" are not visible in the view, to then select them, for it to then prompt for the unlock code, if that is what you were thinking?

I am not too bothered if both my youngest and eldest daughters see the same movie list that only contains movies up to PG-13 as that is how it was before in MCE.

(2013-05-07, 15:45)Samu-rai Wrote: It would be a much easier affair if there was a button within the library view which allowed you to unlock the source, but I don't believe that exists in MQ4.

No this is one thing I noticed missing when switching from Confluence to Aeon MQ4, no way to unlock all sources from the library, you have to go to files and unlock the sources individually from there.

So do I just replace the current Movies main menu item for a menu item that points to the Family Movies smart playlist?

I then have to remove the lock from my Movies folder? And I can hide files etc from the sub-menu, so then when they click on to Family Movies from the main menu, it will show all movies from either folder that are up to PG-13.

And they wont have to enter any unlock code either. that sound about right ?
Although that might not work if they select Titles from the sub-menu that would display all titles above PG as well.

I don't think what I just said will work. if the lock is removed and they click on the sub-menus items - Titles or go to Videos - Movies then Titles they can see all the adult movies. Back to the drawing board I think.

Cheers
Yes I was hoping it would let you see all the movies rated PG-13 and below, but only allow you to play the ones that were in the source which wasn't locked.

You could disable the main movies button, as well as all the submenu buttons that would allow them to easily get to the videos and files menu where they could see the adult movies, but this wouldn't guarantee that by luck or persistence they wouldn't be able to get to those eventually I'm afraid.

I have my 8 year olds set up like this, without a lock on the source, and he has never even thought about seeing if there are any other movies let alone tried to find any.

I guess you may need that peace of mind though.

I'm not sure if ACE has the unlock source setting in the library. I'll check later.

Hi

I added the Family Movies Playlist to the main menu and removed the original movies menu item. I disabled Search / Files / Video / Genres from the sub-menu. I also removed the lock on the main movie folder.

Now when selecting Movies from the main menu aka the "Family Movies" Playlist it opens all films that are up to PG-13.

So this is what I was wanting to achieve and now my eldest daughter can watch films more for her age.

Thanks again.
Samu-rai,

Thanks for pointing me to this thread. Like I posted in the other thread, my breaup is the following:

Z:\Movies
Z:\TV Shows
Z:\Anime

Now I'm trying to make a playlist for the Anime. The Anime is a mixture of some Anime movies, and mostly TV Shows, ie Naruto, Death Note, etc....
For the life of me I have tried every combination and all I get is an empty Anime folder. Can you lend this old Marine a hand?
Advice on Hardware
PC-LUXA2 CPU-AMD Phenom II X6 1100T RAM-12GB Video Card-AMD Radeon HD 6800
OS-Win7 32bit - Kodi - 14.0 Helix SKIN - Aeon MQ 5 Keyboard - DiNovo Mini

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
The method of organizing movies I'm currently using may be a bit clumsy, but it works and I only offer it as an alternative. I've been using xwmm to sort my movies. When I was running eden, you could create your own genres and manually add movies to it. The developers have yet to get this working for frodo though, so I now use the tags. You can enter anything you like in the tag field then create a playlist for that specific tag. It does add an extra step when you're ripping your movies, but like I said, it seems to be working for me.
ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M motherboard; Intel i3-3225, 3.30 GHz; HD Graphics 4000 processor; Samsung 840 120GB Solid State Drive; 3x WD Caviar Green 3 TB 64 MB Cache HD; Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit; Pioneer PDP-5080HD 1366 x 768 Plasma Display; Marantz SR5009 Receiver; Logitech Harmony Ultimate; Kodi 14.2 Helix; Aeon Mq5
I see you say tags, I have been looking for tags on here and can't seem to find them. Can you give me a link?

*Actually got it working with Samu-rais method. I appreciate all the help and patience. I made a mistake and instead of putting path I put title. Small oversight on my part. Thanks Again.
Advice on Hardware
PC-LUXA2 CPU-AMD Phenom II X6 1100T RAM-12GB Video Card-AMD Radeon HD 6800
OS-Win7 32bit - Kodi - 14.0 Helix SKIN - Aeon MQ 5 Keyboard - DiNovo Mini

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 3