windows or ubuntu?
I am having problems with my XBMC system. I am going to have to either re-install XP PRO or abandon windows and move the machine to ubuntu (linux and my choice). I also may have some problem with XP due to the fact that I am running with 2, 1tb hard drives which XP doesn't handle as well as it should and I assume that Ubuntu would probably do a better job. I would aos prefer to not spend the money on windows 7 (which will handle tb drives easily).

I thought I would ask the question here in the hopes that I can get some good advice.

Thank you.........
I'm afraid it's really one of those "it depends" questions - what you use the machine for, what you want out of it, what you're familiar with.

If it's a pure, dedicated HTPC that just runs XBMC then many folks here (me included) would cry "OpenElec" at this point. However, you're asking for trouble if you're using Netflix, Hulu or playing many BR discs (as examples). The great thing about OE is that you can always try it first by booting off a USB stick.

Any Linux distro will read your 1Tb drives, although re-formatting them to a native filesystem (I presume they're NTFS at the moment) would be my preference - and that's easier said than done unless you have somewhere to stash the data while you reformat.

For dedicated HTPC and server purposes, I use Linux ('buntu or OpenElec); for general-purpose PCs that also happen to run XBMC, I stick with Windows (for compatibility, Flash/Silverlight support, etc.). I have fewer problems with the Linux machines, I must confess, although it's always a hell of a ride when they do go wrong...
Ubuntu For The Win!

I stopped using Windows with XBMC because, well, I hate Windows. Its slow to boot and uses way too many system resources compared to Ununtu. I've been using Ubuntu 12.10 for 6 months out of the 8 that I've used XBMC and will never, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go back to Windows for my HTPC. I tried OpenELEC - loved it but some times I liked being able to surf the web as well which you cant with OpenELEC. I tried XBMCBuntu, but didn't like having to log in and out of user profiles to use a browser and I didnt like the GUI with it. Ubuntu 12.10 works perfectly as far as I'm concerned and is a great balance between speed, XBMC and a desktop experience on your TV (YouTube, general browsing and such).
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
I've moved from Windows to OpenELEC recently.

My system runs so much better. Linux definitely the way forward.
Have you looked at Linux Mint? I have just installed it on a low power net book with good results, Mint desktop looks a lot like Windows

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
Mint is a nice distro, built off Ubuntu I believe. I've used it a few times (just playing around on it). I haven't tried installing XBMC on it though. That said, I really like the Unity interface Ubuntu has which is why I stuck with 12.10
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
Wow I finally found someone who like Unity! Wonders never cease.

If the question is windows or ubuntu, the answer is ubuntu. If the question is windows or linux the answer is linux. If the question is ubuntu or openelec or $FAVEDISTRO then the answer is "its complicated".
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I used to refuse to use Windows (usually just used Ubuntu for this) on my HTPC but eventually after having SO MANY linux specific issues with XBMC which seemed to keep snowballing with every release of Ubuntu AND every release of XBMC I relented and just put Windows on that box.

Given Windows video drivers get a lot more attention and video drivers matter a lot for XBMC I have found using XBMC under Windows to be more of a set and forget situation. At the end of the day that's more important to me than the satisfaction of wrestling the damn thing into bug workarounds constantly.

That being said, my HTPC is probably beefier than most dedicated XBMC boxes (for now) so I am not that concerned about performance - if I was running it on a really weak atom box I'd be thinking differently.
(2013-06-05, 14:47)binaryjay Wrote: I used to refuse to use Windows (usually just used Ubuntu for this) on my HTPC but eventually after having SO MANY linux specific issues with XBMC which seemed to keep snowballing with every release of Ubuntu AND every release of XBMC I relented and just put Windows on that box.

I'm of the opposite opinion. From 2005-2012 I ran XBMC for Windows on all my settop boxes and while it was a total nightmare to get DXVA working by hacking at AdvancedSettings.xml, once I got it all setup I loved it. However, over the years it became so frustrating dealing with the Windows Operating System (specifically its determination to reboot the machine while your in the middle of watching a movie for some patch, among other issues).

In 2012 I decided to try out the XBMCBuntu live CD to see if it worked and a few days later installed it as my primary OS on all my settop boxes. It has been flawless ever since. I can't say enough good things about XBMCbuntu... its sheer perfection (IMHO).
(2013-06-02, 02:20)nickr Wrote: Wow I finally found someone who like Unity! Wonders never cease.

If the question is windows or ubuntu, the answer is ubuntu. If the question is windows or linux the answer is linux. If the question is ubuntu or openelec or $FAVEDISTRO then the answer is "its complicated".

I haven't used Linux very often other than CentOS for a Webster so I have next to no experience with Linux GUI's. I used KDE many many years ago when Mandake Linux was popular but that was it. Unity givens me all the controls I need in a Linux platform for desktop and I find it very pleasing to the eye (I only use it as an HTPC OS and occasional browsing of the web).
I run XBMC on Mint 13. Works great.
I am currently running Ubuntu 12.10 and i love how it preforms but the wife wants to get netflix and the thought of having to rebuild this box with windows is really stressing me out
I use Windows, mostly because thats what I'm used to and I'm only going to test the water with Ubuntu on a test build.

I would suggest going with what you are most comfortable with, and what experience you have. If you know Windows, it's easy. If you're looking for a challenge and learn a bit during the process, Ubuntu.
Living Room | Openelec | ASRock H77 Pro4-M MoBo | 8GB DDR RAM | Intel i5 Processor | Arctic
Man Room | Windows 7 x64 | ASRock H77 Pro4-M MoBo | 8GB DDR RAM | Intel i5 Processor | Arctic
Roaming | iPad 2 | Re-Touched Skin
Storage | WD MyCloud 3TB
(2013-08-01, 16:17)liquidtoon Wrote: If you know Windows, it's easy. If you're looking for a challenge and learn a bit during the process, Ubuntu.

Not NecessarilySmile
I found Ubuntu actually easier than Windows (Xp) installs - easy step by step install, and no missing drivers to be found and installed afterwards. I have installed Ubuntu based distros on 7 different machines at this stage and only had one machine that gave me any trouble.

One comment I would make though, I (along with many others) hated the standard Ubuntu desktop when I tried it, and found (on older machines), it was no faster than Xp (apart from boot). Mint Mate) and Xubuntu I found much easier to use from day 1, as well as being significantly faster.
Ubuntu! LInux is the best operating system in the world!. Windows gave me nothing but problems and then I switched to LInux and have never looked back. I use Ubuntu and Arch with XBMC and it works great!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
windows or ubuntu?0