• 71(current)
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
(2013-07-29, 09:30)ext23 Wrote: hey guys, quick question:

it's sitting in a cupboard at the moment, but is there any reason for me to upgrade my acer revo r3610? will probably install openelec onto an SD card.

not unless you need to play back hi10p video or want to bitstream dts-hd/truehd audio.
my first htpc spec parts ordered
asus p8h61-i mobo itx
intel Pentium g2020 dual core 2.9ghz
4gb ddr3 pc10666 1333mhz
coolermaster elite 120 advance case
I haven't chosen a ssd drive yet so any recommendations on size and manufacturer ,I went for the g2020 cpu over the i3 because it's half the price and the benchmarks aren't very far away
I think without the ssd its about £194 which I don't thinks too bad and it should run xbmc just fine (I hope) and still be very usable as a pc
Need advice for a remote and any other stuff I may need
Im wondering if its possible to feed 3 separate tv's from a htpc running xbmc? Ill have a seperate unraid server for all my needs including air video for the wireless devices and a time machine back up for my macs,

But with regards to the htcp, is it possible to feed 3 tv's and stream very well to each at the same time from xbmc... All hdmi?

This is the kind of setup id love to have help building,

I like openelec and dont like windos much, run a mac and 2 instances of openelec from older gen 1 atv's... At the moment...

Anyone that can chime in on this? Is it possible? Will it cost me a ton of mula?

Thanks
(2013-07-30, 02:29)j2048b Wrote: Im wondering if its possible to feed 3 separate tv's from a htpc running xbmc? Ill have a seperate unraid server for all my needs including air video for the wireless devices and a time machine back up for my macs,

But with regards to the htcp, is it possible to feed 3 tv's and stream very well to each at the same time from xbmc... All hdmi?

I like openelec and dont like windos much, run a mac and 2 instances of openelec from older gen 1 atv's... At the moment...

Anyone that can chime in on this? Is it possible? Will it cost me a ton of mula?

Thanks

with the right machine you can virtualize xbmc using esxi. each instance would need its own video card but it's possible. you could even integrate it into your unraid box. the details are outside of my wheelhouse but google around and you'll find other people that have done it.
(2013-07-30, 03:06)furii Wrote:
(2013-07-30, 02:29)j2048b Wrote: Im wondering if its possible to feed 3 separate tv's from a htpc running xbmc? Ill have a seperate unraid server for all my needs including air video for the wireless devices and a time machine back up for my macs,

Thanks

with the right machine you can virtualize xbmc using esxi. each instance would need its own video card but it's possible. you could even integrate it into your unraid box. the details are outside of my wheelhouse but google around and you'll find other people that have done it.

Ok nice thanks furrii,

So u can virtualize it? And integrate into my unraid box? how would one do this??

Hmmmm ill have to google and see what i can find out!
(2013-07-29, 16:51)furii Wrote:
(2013-07-29, 09:30)ext23 Wrote: hey guys, quick question:

it's sitting in a cupboard at the moment, but is there any reason for me to upgrade my acer revo r3610? will probably install openelec onto an SD card.

not unless you need to play back hi10p video or want to bitstream dts-hd/truehd audio.

thanks...i don't know what either of these things are so i guess i'm ok? Tongue

off-topic...just googled hi10p, why do people insist on using these cutting-edge formats?
Hello,

Guys I need some advice Smile

I plan on building a HTPC for one TV and here is what I need it to do:

1. play 1080p (no 3D) + all the sound formats - it's connnected to a onkyo receiver
2. act as a download machine + media server
3. I don't plan to play games on it but I don't want it to be underpowered either ... 2-3-4 years

I already own a ATI Radeon HD 5450 and a 2Tb WD Green hdd that I plan to use.

I have read a lot about htpc but still can't decide between some components:

1. Celeron vs Pentium - ivy bridge architecture - which one is better , the pentium cpu is a bit more expensive but not by much
2. Mb form factor - mAtx vs mini-ITX - I need it to support the discrete card and that's it
3. PSU - I need it to be silent , but not quite dead silent ... some noise is acceptable, I need it to be reliable and be able to take the load: Cpu + discrete card + ssd+ hdd + another hdd in the future if neccesary) - will a PICO PSU be able to handle all that load ? or should I go with a normal silent psu ??

Thanks,
Mircea
hello,everybody im new here so be gentle pls. thanksjust need help to build agodd and affordable htpc here in the UK, but any suggestions where to nuy the components at a reasonable price as all of the posts here is mainly USA prices,,thanks,,,currently im using acer revo r3600 ,but im looking to improve it or chenge it building my own bcoz im finding the revo to be a bit slow now,,or does anybody know if the hdd can be replaced by ssd? thanks again!!
Hi guys. I'm toying with the idea of ripping up my laptop and using it as an HTPC. Never done anything like it before though.

It's a HP Pavilion (3 years old). So:
AMD Turion™ II Dual-Core Mobile Processor M520 2.3 GHz,
2GB RAM
Nvidia Graphics card.

Will these specs run a USB stick with XBMC or openelec on it?

Thanks
Quote:hello,everybody im new here so be gentle pls. thanks just need help to build a good and affordable htpc here in the UK, but any suggestions where to buy the components at a reasonable price as all of the posts here is mainly USA prices,,thanks,,,currently im using acer revo r3600 ,but im looking to improve it or change it building my own because im finding the revo to be a bit slow now,,or does anybody know if the hdd can be replaced by ssd? thanks again!!

Would very much like to know this as well please?

Thank You
Calisto
my post may help as the price I don't think is too bad for a new system ,case was from amazon £32 the rest came from computer orbit in Gateshead ,but I think you could get them cheaper on line ,I decided on these bits as there all good and the cpu is only slightly slower than an i3 but less than half the price
Hello everyone

I want to build a HTPC for videoplayback and XBMC stuff (the whole shabang) as well as some light gaming (mainly dota 2 and snes/psx/ps2/Gamecube/wii Emulation. Not looking for high performance gaming, just those things should run smoothly on 1080p)
I was thinking of going with the Windows #5 build running a dual boot Windows/Elec setup.

For the case, I was thinking of swapping the Antec for a Chieftec Flyer FI-01W)

Problems I foresee:

The Hd 4000 graphics won't cut it for Dota and Wii emulation
What <100$ GPU could you recommend for my needs? I assume I would need a low profile GPU since everything else won't fit in the case?
Is the 200 Watt PSU strong enough for the I3 + dedicated GPU?

If there's any other thing you would change (cpu/case) I'm open for suggestions.
I'm open for any recommendations. Thanks in advance.
is the celeron 847 in the intel nuc enough to play ps2 and other emulators?

Thanks!
(2013-08-01, 01:21)tonyr Wrote: my post may help as the price I don't think is too bad for a new system ,case was from amazon £32 the rest came from computer orbit in Gateshead ,but I think you could get them cheaper on line ,I decided on these bits as there all good and the cpu is only slightly slower than an i3 but less than half the price

Thanks for your post, what PSU did you go for in the coolermaster please?

Thanks
Calisto
Hello friends!

I'm also trying to build htpc. I still have old receiver with SPDIF output, so this built in 1st post (zotac or custom build) is a way to go for me.

What I would like to know.. or get recommendation is for casing. Antec isk looks great, but I'm also looking for something with 5.25 bay, so I could also install some bluray unit. I'm trying to get rid of panny external bluray unit, so I could use only htpc for everything.

The only thing is, case must not be higher than 10 cm (4 inches).

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!
  • 71(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?36