windows or ubuntu?
(2013-06-05, 14:47)binaryjay Wrote: I used to refuse to use Windows (usually just used Ubuntu for this) on my HTPC but eventually after having SO MANY linux specific issues with XBMC which seemed to keep snowballing with every release of Ubuntu AND every release of XBMC I relented and just put Windows on that box.

Given Windows video drivers get a lot more attention and video drivers matter a lot for XBMC I have found using XBMC under Windows to be more of a set and forget situation. At the end of the day that's more important to me than the satisfaction of wrestling the damn thing into bug workarounds constantly.

That being said, my HTPC is probably beefier than most dedicated XBMC boxes (for now) so I am not that concerned about performance - if I was running it on a really weak atom box I'd be thinking differently.

This was pretty much my experience.

After my HD died on my HTPC, I tried Linux Mint. After struggling to get the wireless adapter / xbox 360 remote drivers working, SAMBA shares set up to transfer stuff over the home network, and synergy / steam big picture mode / a torrent downloader / couch potato / sickbeard installed and running beside xbmc, I finally gave up when I couldn't work out how to the resolution correctly and persistently. (Video drivers didn't recognise my generic brand TV). I followed multiple guides, but obviously messed up somewhere for each of them.

Next was ubuntu. A similar set of difficulties, though setting the resolution was easy this time around. And then when I upgraded to the latest version, because I did some noobish things getting everything set up on 12.04, everything died. Irretrievably.

Windows 7, the OS I'm most familiar with? Everything up and running within an hour.

I love linux (at least in theory) and happily run Ubuntu on my laptop, but be aware that if you're only familiar with Windows and want to include more than just xbmc in your setup, you could be in for a headache.
I would try OpenELEC and see if that works (most likely will). In the past, I have had enormous trouble with getting a few pieces of hardware to work correctly under Linux, and while they did eventually work, I am not so sure the effort required was worth it, considering that it was plug and play on Windows.

I would go with Windows if:
* You have hardware issues and are unfamiliar with linux
* You want to use it as a general PC too, and are more comfortable with windows
* You want to run something like MadVR and SVP
* You want to do watch streaming services like Netflix or watch BR disks
* You want your HTPC to double as a steam box

Otherwise, use OpenELEC as it is easy to install and you don't need to fuss about with getting XBMC to run on startup and such.
(2013-08-08, 09:53)hawkinsssable Wrote: I love linux (at least in theory) and happily run Ubuntu on my laptop, but be aware that if you're only familiar with Windows and want to include more than just xbmc in your setup, you could be in for a headache.

Try OpenELEC, I had everything up and running in 10mins Smile

The whole point of it is they have all the drivers and xbmc ready to go from 1st boot.
I think Ubuntu is better. I would love to run my XBMC on Ubuntu.
(2013-08-26, 10:31)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: I think Ubuntu is better. I would love to run my XBMC on Ubuntu.

So what's stopping you from doing so?
I have an old Desktop that I re-purposed as the living room's HTPC. It orginally ran Win7, that I got a copy of from my university, but I was never given a CD-Key so it kept telling me that I needed to register it.

Well I got in on the Win8 upgrade for $20 deal, so it was running Win8 for a few months. But Win8 had some bad issues with my homenetwork that seemingly came out of nowhere.

Now I have XBMCBuntu running on the thing, and while it took some work, that machine has never run better. I don't think it EVER booted up in 10 seconds while running Windows but it sure as hell does now. (LIke I said, my machine is old and it's running a legacy vid card that I got for $10 because it had HDMI out. It took some doing but there are multiple threads on how to update XBMC from an old XBMCBuntu version while keeping the old drivers in Ubuntu. Works like a champ now.)

But seeing as where TVs are going now. My TV has Netflix and Amazon prime built-in, along with a media player that sucks but it is there, I can see HTPCs being phased out soon by just televisions. Why run an extra box for functions that the TV can do? Because it looks pretty?
(2013-08-26, 16:34)Budwyzer Wrote: Why run an extra box for functions that the TV can do? Because it looks pretty?

Yep, i like pretty little boxes. Also why have a car when you've got legs?
bevause the tvs are typically very locked down underpowered devices, typically with droid on them *shudders*
I tried Xbmcbuntu but i couldnt get it to wake from sleep using my Logitech remote, after getting REALLY frustrated i went back to windows 7. it does everything i need it too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
windows or ubuntu?0