xbmc lag and crash
I'm running xbmc since a few years and i haven't touched anything to my installation since a couple of months.

Around 1 month ago XBMC started acting really strange. With most of the movies, it will lag very bad and looks like the movie is running 1 image per second. Usually i don't get any sound and most of the time XBMC will just crash after a few seconds.

- It isn't a network problem - the movie plays correctly if i read it using VLC

- It isn't a machine problem - the same thing happens wether i play the movie locally from my HTPC or remotely from my other PC or even from my NAS

- It doesn't look like a skin problem - just switched from Aeon MQ4 to Confluence and i have the same problem.

Where should i look next ? What should i do to find out where the problem comes from ?

I really can't reinstall everything, i have spent hundreds of hours to customise my skin.

Code:
Specs:
Windows 8
XBMC last version + XBMC Launcher
Aeon MQ4 (also tested with confluence)
AMD A10 APU HTPC
8 gb ram + SSD
gigabit network Netgear ProSafe FVS318N
Providing a debug log (wiki) that shows this movie playback lag would be a good start. Upload the log to a public paste site such as www.xbmclogs.com and post the assigned URL here.
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=52251

Here's what i did after enabling debug logs:
After rebooting htpc and starting XBMC i went to the movies folder, started streaming a movie from my NAS. The movie lagged horribly and looked like it was 1 image per second. It lasted during a few seconds then it got stuck on the same image without sound.
The FPS were around 20 and if i pause the movie it goes back to 60.

So the movie was still stuck at the same image, i went back to the menu and tried to start a different movie. Then XBMC froze and Windows8 popped a message saying the application wasn't answering.

Then i went back to windows and started the same movie in VLC. Everything worked perfectly with VLC.

I repeated those steps a few times and the same thing happens all the time. It also happens with different movies
bump
help ?
start by checking your audio settings, see the sticky thread
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
It is not only an audio problem - image lags and freezes on most of the movie. And i don't know which sticky thread you are referring to...
(2013-09-01, 18:10)anarchoi Wrote: It is not only an audio problem - image lags and freezes on most of the movie. And i don't know which sticky thread you are referring to...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911

start with this

could also be a driver issue which we cannot do anything about
Ok after testing everything in that guide, it seems that renaming guisettings.xml fixed it (to reset it to default) at least i can play movies that didnt worked before

Now is there any way i can know where the problem is coming from, inside guisettings.xml ? I have a lot of important configuration in this file and i don't want to lose everything Sad
As said before it most likely has to do with your audio settings.
(2013-09-02, 12:05)Kibje Wrote: As said before it most likely has to do with your audio settings.

No.

I followed this guide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911

And when i came to this part:

Quote:Section 6. guisettings.xml issue (Analog/SPDIF/HDMI)

If you've upgraded from a previous version of XBMC then problems can sometimes occur with the guisettings.xml
guissttings.xml is found in your userdata.

Location - in Windows open Run and enter %appdata% then ok this, then within explorer window that opens navigate to xbmc folder & then userdata sub folder.

i. With XBMC closed rename the guisettings.xml to something like old-guisettings.xml, doesn't matter what you rename to this to as it's only being done to keep a copy of simply reversion later.

ii. Start XBMC to create a new guisettings.xml and enter settings again.

Note - carrying this out sets all the gui entered settings back to defaults.

It fixed my problem. But now i'm stuck with a default guisettings.xml

I need to find what was wrong with the old guisettings.xml so i can fix it. Can you see it in the log ?

Before reseting guisettings.xml to default i wasn't even able to change my audio settings without crashing XBMC. And now that it is reset to default i can play the movies that were causing problems before.
compare the two files by hand Smile
lol....

default file is 20KB

and my customised guisettings.xml is 356KB after the skin and the mods put their settings there.

If someone finds what's wrong with my guisettings.xml i will send him $20 paypal !!
quite simple, you only need to compare stuff that is not skin related
Ok so it looks like it has something to do with the audio settings inside guisettings.xml

After checking each and every single XML elements in my "guisettings" file, it seems that this part is causing the problem:
Quote: <audiooutput>
<ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
<audiodevice>DirectSound:{D28A026E-6237-474D-AD25-4AF7A9D059EF}</audiodevice>
<channels>8</channels>
<dtshdpassthrough>true</dtshdpassthrough>
<dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>
<guisoundmode>2</guisoundmode>
<mode>2</mode>
<multichannellpcm>true</multichannellpcm>
<normalizelevels>false</normalizelevels>
<passthroughaac>true</passthroughaac>
<passthroughdevice>DirectSound:{D28A026E-6237-474D-AD25-4AF7A9D059EF}</passthroughdevice>
<stereoupmix>false</stereoupmix>
<truehdpassthrough>true</truehdpassthrough>
</audiooutput>

But if i reset guisettings to default, the movies & sound will work with these settings:

Quote: <audiooutput>
<ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
<audiodevice>DirectSound:{E2677482-0B1E-462A-8D4B-3603319E98C9}</audiodevice>
<channels>1</channels>
<dtshdpassthrough>true</dtshdpassthrough>
<dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>
<guisoundmode>1</guisoundmode>
<mode>0</mode>
<multichannellpcm>true</multichannellpcm>
<normalizelevels>true</normalizelevels>
<passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
<passthroughdevice>DirectSound:{E2677482-0B1E-462A-8D4B-3603319E98C9}</passthroughdevice>
<stereoupmix>false</stereoupmix>
<truehdpassthrough>true</truehdpassthrough>
</audiooutput>

No matter what i do, i am unable to change the audio settings from XMBC interface. As soon as i try changing the output mode or anything else in the audio settings window, then XBMC will freeze and crash.

I don't understand what happenned, i have not touched drivers or xbmc audio settings since many many months...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc lag and crash1