• 8(current)
PLEX vs XBMC
I don't see the value in those subscriptions. The only think worthwhile is the sync feature and it should not require a sub. A small payment would have been fine.
I use XBMC primarily but also use plex to watch my content on the smart TV using plex client and this setup has been a breeze. I do not have to connect my laptop to it any more.
Intel® Quad Core i5 Sandybridge @3.40GHz | ASRock Z775 Mobo 8GB DDR3 Ram | Logitech K400 Keyboard |
| Logitec Harmony 550 Remote| 46' Samsung LCD TV | Onkyo TX-S605 w/ Bose 5.1 Surround
(2013-09-06, 21:34)rasstar Wrote: I don't see the value in those subscriptions. The only think worthwhile is the sync feature and it should not require a sub. A small payment would have been fine.

I know that there are very strong opinions on this subject, but on the issue of payment, to my mind Elan & Co are asking a very nominal amount. I'm sure that most folks around here spend more than that on beer and chips in a very short period of time - I know I do Smile

On a more general note - there's obviously history here and I'm not privy to it - but both groups have some incredibly hard working people that are providing a tremendous product, one that I try to evangelize whenever I can (since I don't spend all my spare time posting in places like this).

So many discussions on Internet fora are about "or", as if we must all take sides. Why can't the discussion for once be about "and" - where we all realize that it's possible for more than one group, product, or service to be essentially good and non-evil?
This is a board for discussion XBMC, not Plex.
Well, there you go. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone.
Why should there be an "and" aspect to it, according to your post? XBMC's capabilities are not far behind Plex's, and the source behind those capabilities will be open, so if someone sees that an improvement can be made, they can make it. The same cannot be said for Plex, and according to them, that capability will never exist in the server, as they intend to keep it closed. If you like Plex, fine, use it. If you don't, fine. As I said, this isn't really the place to be lauding the aspects of Plex. This is an XBMC discussion board. If you want to talk about Plex, take it to the Off Topic board.

I don't like Plex's stance in regards to their source, I refuse to use it because of that, considering Plex would not exist without XBMC. It simply wouldn't. Plex was originally a fork of XBMC for Mac. It's morphed into more since then. I don't like how Plex keeps a lot of granular control under the hood away from user tweaking. XBMC has chosen to do the same with Gotham, but still allow for user control by activating different levels of context menus and options. Plex's autoscraping works well, except when it doesn't, and it's then a bit of a pain to correct it. Plex, the last time I tested it out a couple of months ago was achingly slow at updating the library and displaying those results to the user, and again, there was very little opportunity for the user to customize, should he or she desire. Plex's stance seems to be "We know better than you, monkey." That type of condescension and smugness don't work with me.
Hmm. First, your comments about what is to be discussed here, and what is off-topic, appear (forgive me) to be off-kilter given the thread topic and the participation by XBMC principals. Second, I respect your position with regard to your likes and dislikes (and the reasoning behind them). However, you make several claims as if they were factual, when what they are is opinion.

You imply that Plex is not open, when it is in fact still based on Frodo. They have disabled many things in the client, and I disagree with their decisions in many of those cases such as PVR capability. But I can still compile my own Plex from source to add things back in, just as I can with XBMC. I can also configure anything in Plex that I can in XBMC, if I want to take the time. The real fact is this: the argument is not based on the application comparison. It is based on the people that form the Plex organization, and whether you agree or disagree with their values. I think that arguments based on the former are pure homerism. I think that arguments based on the latter are something that I have to respect, as they are values-based.
The server is not open.

I also stand by my point that this topic should be in the Off Topic board, not the XBMC General Discussion board.
Simply put, as XBMC is making strides in the Serving Media, if you want a server to serve your media out to devices, then Plex is the way to go. If you just want media to be sitting in a low power state until accessed, then XBMC is the way to go.

The only real advantage I see Plex having over XBMC is that organizing the server is really really simple with the new GUI. I'm personally more of a fan of the open way the server allows me to organize my media over the collection method of XBMC.

Also, it saves your in-progress in a central location so that you can turn off a movie in the living room and finish it in the bedroom without any issues, but again XBMC is catching up in this respect if it hasn't already and I am just unaware of it.
(2013-09-24, 23:45)Budwyzer Wrote: Also, it saves your in-progress in a central location so that you can turn off a movie in the living room and finish it in the bedroom without any issues, but again XBMC is catching up in this respect if it hasn't already and I am just unaware of it.
You are unaware.

mkossler Wrote:You imply that Plex is not open, when it is in fact still based on Frodo

I think a big part of the problem is

1. What sets plex apart from xbmc is the server, which is not open.

2. People get confused about the GPL and the fact that Plex client appears to be a legitimate GPL fork of XBMC, paired with an original and proprietary server. Hell do we criticise microsoft for the fact that XBMC and other open source products can get files from CIFS shares?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-09-25, 11:44)nickr Wrote:
(2013-09-24, 23:45)Budwyzer Wrote: Also, it saves your in-progress in a central location so that you can turn off a movie in the living room and finish it in the bedroom without any issues, but again XBMC is catching up in this respect if it hasn't already and I am just unaware of it.
You are unaware.

Does it simply store the data in a .nfo file or something? Currently the other TV in my home that I watch my stuff on is hooked up to a Vizio Costar, so I just use ESFile Explorer to watch stuff. Until now the only way I've heard about it sinking data is with people using mySQL
That's right, mysql stores watched status and progress across all XBMC clients.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-09-25, 21:24)nickr Wrote: That's right, mysql stores watched status and progress across all XBMC clients.

And it works very, very well!

/D
(2013-09-25, 21:24)nickr Wrote: That's right, mysql stores watched status and progress across all XBMC clients.

But that means I need to learn to use mysql. I understand it isn't hard. It's used here where I work. Or is this baked in and happens automatically? If this is the case, then I stand by what I said earlier.
No you don't need to learn to use myql. You need to learn to cut and paste some commands from a wiki page.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PLEX vs XBMC0